Motobecane Gigi Road Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Shimaono 105 27 Spd. 18 Pounds. TruVativ Elita ISIS drive Crankset 52/42/30, Ritchey Bar and Stem, Microjust Post, LadiesComfortChannel Saddle, Kenda K191 700x23c tires, 650c Ritchey Wheelset except 54cm with 700c, Shimano HG 9spd 12-25, Forged Aluminum DualPull Caliper Brakes.

Submitted by Multimodalmama a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2011

Strengths:    The bike is light weight, nimble and responsive without being "twitchy" or feeling like it will snap when I take a bump at speed. The gearing is perfect, and the fit is excellent for me. Once I got her together and put my own seat on her and got everything adjusted, I took her out and earned myself some sore muscles because I just kept riding and riding, but not sore joints!

Weaknesses:    Most major issue: the rear rack eyelet on the 47cm model is obstructed by the rear brake. I bought a seat collar with eyelets in order to mount the rack I bought for her and all was well. All the same, outside eyelets was a bad design choice here - my 51cm Bianchi Eros got around this by putting them INSIDE the seat stays. As noted in another review, the front derailleur was way off, but that's something you just have to check for with any new bike that you set up yourself - and 100 miles after you first adjust things.

Bottom Line:
The Gigi is a sweet ride and a great value if you have the basic assembly skills and a little patience. The instructions were nearly useless and the manual was not for this bike. The bike has some pretty nice and very appropriate Shimano components on it, and comes with pedals set up with toe clips.

Favorite Ride:   Motobecane Gigi

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   The bike ride a lot like my former road bike, a Bianchi Eros, which makes me very happy. As I got older, that bike being a slight bit big became an issue and is now the beloved road ride of my 15 year old son.

Bike Setup:   Main Frame Custom 7005 Series Aluminum Alloy with Aero Downtube, Double water bottle mounts.
Rear Triangle Tapered 7005 Series Aluminum rear stays forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger.
Fork Aero Integrated Carbon Fiber Advanced 3K Weave
Shifters Shimano Tiagra ST4500 9-speed, Flight Deck compatible
Cassette/Freewheel Shimano Tiagra CSHG50 9-speed, 12-25T

Submitted by CharlesP a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Unbeatable price for entry level components with 8 spd brifters, equal to $550-plus shop bike.
Proportional sizing fits my 4'10" 11 year old son extremely well.
"Adult" components and style.
Quality aluminum frame with decent welds, all braze-ons, gorgeous paint.
8 speed Shimano brifters, Sora rear der.
165mm cranks w/removeable chainrings.
Cool inline brake levers easily operated from top of handlebars, great for beginners to transition to drop bars.
Three day shipping from seller.
Made in Taiwan, much better quality than typical POS Chinese junk.

Weaknesses:    1" fork difficult/expensive to upgrade to carbon.
Seat is crap.
"Easy assembly" is BS, needs intervention of LBS.
Tall gearing (cranks are 52-42-30).
Goofy rubber seals on hubs can squeak.
Brake calipers need to be bent the old-fashioned way to get toe-in.

Bottom Line:
First off, this review is for a 2010 MIRAGE SPORT. The website software didn't list that model nor any year after 2007, someone needs to update....
We just purchased a 44cm, the only size they had in stock. It's a great "proportional" size for kids or shorter women, with 650c wheels, 165mm cranks, 8cm stem.
GREAT EXTRA SMALL BEGINNERS BIKE FOR THE BUCKS!!!

Favorite Ride:   Rollins Savannah, Grayslake IL

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Many bikes in my 9 years in da bikin' bidness from '81 to '90.

Bike Setup:   "Easy assembly" is BS, take it straight to LBS. I was a pro mechanic for 9 years and this was a slightly worse than average out-of-the-box new bike buildup. Rear wheel well out of true, front der. way off, too much chain wrap from rear der. Both hubs too tight, pedals rough.
Otherwise pretty good, component quality well above those at equivalent price range.

Submitted by GRB1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2009

Strengths:    Light in weight for the price. Good equipement for the price, rear ultegra derailers and STI shifters.

Great looking bike with a solid frame and a carbon fork and seatpost to lessen road buzz.

Weaknesses:    Need to have bike mechanic skills to adjust and set-up the bike. I got it fairly well tuned in and had a LBS tune the derailers.

Bottom Line:
I bought this for my wife who is new to road riding. This was her first road bike and has been a great overall fit for her. She is 5'3" and we went with the 50cm frame. The WSD geometry is a better fit than a mens 50cm frame.

Solid aluminum frame with an aero downtube. The red is a great color. I rode it a few times while adjusting everything and the frame is solid and handles very well, even with my 220 pounds on it. Shopped around local shops and to buy a similar bike it would have been an additional $4-500.

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   Have not changed anything from what was purchased from Bikes Direct. Well equipped for the price and performs great.

Submitted by pootin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    fantastic price, attractive bike, very light, nice parts, 30 day warranty went without issue

Weaknesses:    setup time is longer than stated to really get it right, handled unstable while standing and was jittery on the road, bikesdirect wont reply until Tuesday for an email sent on Friday night and there's no phone # to call for customer service

Bottom Line:
bought the 2009 version for my wife because of the perceived value. bike delivered as stated. no way does this take 30' to assemble. most of the cables and housing needed to be cut and just getting everything out of the box and accounted for took some time. I think 60' at a minimum if you know what you're doing. I checked ALL the bolts because I didnt' know what to expect. Beautiful bike. nice parts. handled jittery, especially when standing. i didn't measure the frame to assess whether it was as stated. i ended up returning it, which cost $70 to ship, but the bikesdirect people handled things nicely.

Favorite Ride:   West Coast Fitness Hill in Newcastle/renton

Purchased At:   bikes direct

Submitted by r gunser a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    lightweight, don't need to add a bunch of components, decent price

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Exceedingly light, nice components, very comfortable saddle. I am very happy with the bike.