Motobecane Gran Premio Pro Road Bike

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels
Long point lugs, Investment cast BB

Submitted by BlueGrassBlazer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    Outstanding value for the package The wheels alone online run $550-$650. Good climbing bike that likes to run on flats. You can also just relax and ride for fun. The ride is very smooth. I don't feel beat up after riding for distance like I did on my old bike. It loves to climb and is very responsive. I find myself riding faster through the curves than I did with the CDale.

Weaknesses:    Some frame flex but I don't really notice it. It's not as stiff as my aluminum but the ride characteristics more than make up for it. The biggest weakness are my legs and lungs. This bike has a very high ceiling and I will be riding a long time before I can do it justice.
Cheap stem...even looks bad. Will change that out end of season. Seat was brutal. The second I sat on it I replaced it.

Bottom Line:
After researching for about 1-2 years for a new bike I found myself in the position to finally buy one. I struggled with the frame material but finally settled on steel. I don't race and had been riding an aluminum frame bike for years. I wanted something with a smooth, forgiving ride and that provided a more upright and comfortable position. I love the old retro look of the skinny tubes and I just didn't want carbon. When I went looking for steel bikes I ran into a major roadblock. It seems steel frame bikes are pretty pricey. Most of them boast exceptional quality frames but at an amazing price. Steel frames have been around for 100 or more years so I didn't need the latest aircraft technology...I needed a good quality frame with good components at a decent price to ride, enjoy, and conquer centuries. The Gran Premio Pro fits the bill perfectly with a good steel frame, excellent Ultegra components and Mavic Ksyrium wheels and a smooth, velvety ride. I plan to ride centuries but mostly do 30 mile personal time trials right now and it fits both styles. When I want to sprint, it's right there with me and when I want to go for distance, it cradles me with that famous steel ride.
This is not a race bike or a tourer. There are no braze ons for luggage or racks or fenders and the max tire size you can fit (I think) is a 28. With my brooks saddle, touring pedals and other heavy add-ons the weight comes out to about 22-23 lbs. You can probably get it sub 20 if you want. This bike is perfect for supported long rides, all day rides, or centuries. It works well for my personal time trials, general fitness rides, or to just tool around town.
It comes in orange or blue but black or red are available with SRAM red components.

Favorite Ride:   All of them

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   '97 Cannondale R500T aluminum triple.
'94 Schwinn High Plains Mountain bike
'xx ancient Fuji steel bike from my distant past.

Bike Setup:   Steel lugged Reynolds 725
Ultegra group set...brakes, chain, carbon brifter handles. Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels at about 1550 grams.
Double crank 50/34 with 11-28 rear.

Motobecane Gran Premio PRO

Does anybody have a full view picture of this bike in blue. The web site only has a full view in orange. Also anybody out there have a ride review that they would like to give. Mike if you are out there can you tell me if you are going to offer this as frame only. :cool:Read More »