Motobecane Immortal Pro Road Bike

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Motobecane Immortal Pro, 56 CM, Yellow bought May 14, 2009

Frame-2.7 Pound (1224 g) Monocoque High Modulus Carbon Fiber with replaceable derailleur hanger, 2 x H2O bosses, Ascente Carbon Bottle Holders, 30 g ea.

Fork-AeroCarbon SL High Modulus Monocoque Carbon Fiber with Carbon Crown+Aluminum Steerer 1.125 inch

Headset-Cane Creek IS2 Sealed Bearing Threadless 1.125 inch

Derailleurs RR/FR-Shimano Ultegra 6600 rear / Shimano 5600 105 front

Shifters/Levers-Shimano 5600 105 10 Speed STI (20 Speed total)

Brakes-Cane Creek SCR3 aluminum calipers, Dura Ace Brake shoes and pads

Hubs-Shimano WH-R500 Sealed Bearing Black Anodized

Rims-Shimano WH-R500 with CNC sides, Spokes 20/24

Crank/BottomBracket-FSA CarbonPro Carbon Fiber 172.5mm (carbon wrap) Compact 50/34T integrated with MEGAEXO External Bearing Bottom Bracket

Cassette/Chain-Shimano 105 10 Speed 11-25T, Shimano CN5600 105 10spd Chain

Saddle-Skye Road Racing (Turbo style) 11.15 oz, 316 gm

Seatpost - Ascente Carbon Fiber 27.2mm (full carbon, 8.6 oz 243 gm)

Stem-Zeus Cat II Aluminum 1.125 inch steerer, 26.0 clamp. 90mm

Handlebars-Ritchey Comp Single Butted 6061 Aluminum Ergo Bar

Tires-Vittoria Rubino PRO 700x23c Presta valve tubes

Submitted by snoekadoeks a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    smooth ride and handling, packaging and shipping was good

Weaknesses:    saddle, brakes and free pedals all sub-standard; heavy for a carbon & needs lots of adjusting

Bottom Line:
it's the 2009 Immortal Pro. first online purchase of a bike. carbon frame and ultegra are best features. bike handles well but feels heavy for a carbon bike. not sure if the seat post is genuine carbon or the crankset - both fsa carbonpro? shifters needed repositioning, saddle and brake pads needed replacing and i put a richey wcs stem on. i think u can get better deals in stores these days. be careful. wasn't really a major upgrade on my $900 fuji roubaix!

Favorite Ride:   country 18 miles

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Submitted by Kirk Braaten a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Simple, traditional looking frame thats light and strong. Hard to beat carbon fiber. Alot of bike for the money!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Brake pads, seat.

Bottom Line:
Bike is actually 2009. Nice, stiff frame. Very sensible design. All joining ares highly reinforced. Rides very nice over the bumps. A little squirrely on very high speed decents, might need to change out the 100 mm stem. Brake pads should be replaced, too hard. Overall, very nice bike, very fast, stiff.

Purchased At:   BIKESDIRECT

Bike Setup:   Stock-------for now!!!

Submitted by bobthib a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, stiff but vertically compliant (read plush ride) frame. Relatively light at 1224gms
Bare bike weighs in at 17.6 lbs
Great Value

Weaknesses:    Wheel set
Wellgo Pedals
Lousy Cane Creek brake Pads
Black Cane Creek Pads didn't match the Silver Brakes.
Web Site Info stated "Aero Bladed Spokes" but they were regular round spokes.

Bottom Line:
After much angnst and reading of reviews, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Immortal Pro. Black was sold out in 56 cm so I got the Yellow. At first I was a little dissappointed, but "in the flesh" it was very impressive. Add to it the complements I've gotten, and I have no regrets.
The bike arrived as expected 5 days later. The UPS man was almost excited as I was. The box was perfect, as was the bike.
I had watched the BD assembly videos in advance, and it was pretty much as described. Careful unpacking took almost as long as the assembly. Some of the things in the video (stem, front brake) were already installed. Had the bike assembled in 45 min. "ready to ride".
But I wanted to tweak a lot of things, and a few things needed adjustment.
Both front and rear wheels were a little out of true. Tightening a few spokes on each solved that. The brakes could now be adjusted a lot tighter, so I did that next. Rear derailer worked fine but the front limits needs a little tweaking. Didn't install the Wellgo pedals, but put on my Speedplay Light Actions that I love. Heard a lot of things about the "crappy" seats, but left it on as it seem OK. Changed out the lousy Cane Creek brake pads and the black supplied brake shoes (brakes are silver!) with some Dura Ace shoes and pads.
Took it out for a little test spin, and made a few minor adjustments to the seat, stem, etc.
Rode it about 80 miles over the several days with no problems. Ride was light and fast, and VERY comfortable compared to the alu Trek. I was already very happy.
Had the bike fit a week later. Tech (highly recommended by serious riders) was very impressed with the fit, however the 2.5 hrs and $100 was well worth it. The bike was even more comfortable and I had a lot more power in my stroke. Did have to change out the stock Richey 100mm stem to a 90mm Zeus Cat II, however. Brought along a setback seat post, and it's good I did. Needed it to get a little more for the seat setback.
Added carbon bottle racks and a real full carbon set back seat post. Decided to keep the "crappy" stock seat as it is very comfortable and that is my main criteria.
Wheels are nothing to write home about, but they work OK. Was a little concerned about the compact crank, but with so few climbs here in So Fla, I'm very happy. Ride 98% of the time on the big ring, save the smaller 34T ring for the few climbs.
Regrets? I've had a few. Wish I had spent the $300 for the Immortal Force, but kinda busted the budget with this. Also wish I had considered more seriously the Bottechia CF bikes, but was uncertain about the Compact Frame. In retrospect I should have gone for the fitting first and I would have had a better idea if a compact frame would have worked. But since the IPRO was almost identical to the old Trek 1200, I knew it would fit well.

Favorite Ride:   Tour de Parkland

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   89 Trek 1200
91 Specialized CF Epic Road Bike

Bike Setup:   In addition to changes to the stock setup metioned above, I have a Trek 4 LED lamp and Trek 5 LED rear light, an Innovation gear bag, and a Polar S150 wired speedo and wireless HRM. This will soon be replaced by a Garmin Edge 305.

Submitted by Darian VanGorkum a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    solid, fast, smoothe carbon frame. Excellent components where it counts. Upgrade later where is doesn't. Personalize upgrade for fit and comfort.

Weaknesses:    people don't know how to pronounce motobecane. Looks are great, what is that? Tell them it's Polish made in an Italian factory.

Bottom Line:
Purchased in spring of 2007 and now have 6500 miles on it. Very solid bike and have no complaints. I did need to get rid of the saddle and upgrade to a fizik and threw away the pedals and put on spd sl ultegra. Tires are junk changed them to hard case and the rest is still going strong. Normal maint unkeep. Everything I have changed out is bottom line for a reason, most riders have personal preferances when it comes to saddle and pedals and will change out no matter what is on the bike.
I love the fact I burn people with expensive named carbon frame bikes costing several times more (last ride with a 8,000 dollar cervelo). Its not the bike at this level, its the rider. That will not change unless you are a cat 2 or better racer. You will not go wrong with this bike, and I still can't see how this cost me $1300 when to replace everything on it is double the price.

Favorite Ride:   STP one day