Motobecane Le Champion SL Road Bike

4.56/5 (55 Reviews)

Ultegra STI 18 Spd. 15 Pounds. XFusion Quaternary phase alloy, Custom butted and shaped with PowerDiamond down tube, integrated headtube. FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Crankset 52/36, Ritchey WCS 31.8 Bar and Stem. Carbon SL Road post, VeloCarbon Ti Saddle, Vittoria Ultraspeed IntegraK 700x23c tires, American Classic Sprint350 Wheelset 24/28 1250g, SRAM R9 11-23 Cassette, Ultegra Brakeset.

Submitted by Keith

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    Light, quick, high quality

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2014 Motobecane Le Champion (Full Carbon Frame, Ultregra) from Bikes Direct and it is an AWESOME bike. I actually bought 2, one for my wife also. After 150 miles, I can't believe the value and quality of the bike...it is simply awesome. It is fairly easy to assemble from the box, but I do recommend you visit your local bike shop and have them fit it, adjust the gears and do a safety check...it cost me $150 a bike to do all that, but I still saved a ton. Even my local bike shop was impressed with the Motobecane, the closest competitor was a Trek "on sale" for $3299. I purchased two and had them adjusted for less than that!

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    I too bought a Motobecane Le Champion road bike from Bikes Direct and could not be happier with my decision. The bike is light weight, extremely responsive, and handles very well at high speeds. The top notch components are also comforting as I can ride hard with the confidence that a parts failure is a small possibility. I would recommend this bike to anyone that is considering a higher end bike. Fight the name brands and try this bike

Weaknesses:    The seat is not comfortable for longer 75 to 100 mile rides and would suggest one that has more comfort where u need it

Bottom Line:
Bikes are very specialized bikes direct and Motobecane have done an excellent job of giving us an opportunity to buy a 6000 bike for 2500. Take the plunge. Safe riding to all

Submitted by Sprokets

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Beautifully crafted titanium frame, genuine Shimano, Ultegra, Ritchey, Mavic parts... all at an amazing price.
Fantastic deal! Seems like one of my best ever.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Just took delivery of my SL version of this bike yesterday from BikesDirect and I went for my first 36 mile ride on it this morning. In a single word I am delighted! Can't stop grinning at it.

Despite all my concerns about the suspiciously low price this bike is absolutely gorgeous (the brushed titanium look is sick) and it has genuine Shimano, Ritchey and Mavic parts throughput. The welds are very well done. I honestly can't see where they are cutting any corners with this deal. The local bike stores had nothing close to this that was under $5K.

Nothing was damaged or scratched on delivery (another fear that I had) and it all came very carefully packed. I had no problem assembling the bike.

Despite my fear of online shrills and scams I want to report here that BikeDirect are the real deal (although you may suspect that I am a shrill ...hmmmm.. not sure how you get around that).

Really a scorching deal from BD. It is still early days but it is hard for me to see how I can possibly go wrong with this purchase and at this price.

Submitted by Luis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Price,looks,performance

Weaknesses:    Tires were weak..changed to armadillos, and not a single flat in 1500 miles ;)

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike and still get a rush everytime I ride it. Im an EX NYC bike messenger and when I ride centuries I go wild accelerating! Climbs are a breeze with this bike. My friends have treks and bianchis which are twice as expensive and cross the finish line after me.The bike is super light and ive done 40 mph on this bike in the rain..try doing this and youll see what a rush this is! Im even thinking of getting the 2012 immortal spirit. Although to bikes can only help you perform to some extent, it also depends on your drive and determination to push your bike to the limits..i just love it when the bike responds with such precision!

Favorite Ride:   NYC century and Montauk century

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek,Bianchi,Fuji

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, FSA Carbon crank, Ritchey stem,seat post. American classic CR420 wheels

Submitted by Bob Uthe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    Overall road comfort and control. Brakes are responsive. Shifting is easy and quick. Some professional reviewers refer to this bike as "entry level" in their comments. I give it the highest rating for a so-called "entry level"bike.

Weaknesses:    I was impressed with how many other owners of this brand criticized the seat. I have been struggling with the seat as well. It is both, comfortable and awkward at the same time. After a few miles I find myself changing seating positions front to back,trying to find a more consistent and comfortable position. I need to probably replace the seat once I have researched the market.

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike. The bulk of my bike riding experience has been on mountain bikes. My bike was exciting from the first moment I rode it. It did take an adjustment period to get used to a road bike over a mountain bike. The cleated pedals were intimidating for a while. (I only fell down one time at a stop sign). With two years of riding on this bike, I have reached a comfort zone in how the bike handles, as well as my handling of it. From the very beginning I noticed how responsive it was for sprinting,and cornering, as well as uphill surges. I noticed that this bike is strong and durable, yet reasonably supple on rough roads. While I have not tested many other bikes, I have read a lot of reviews and tend to draw my own conclusions from them. I too, took a chance on purchasing the Motobecane without trying one out. I have a Motobecane 700HT I purchased the same way.I have not been disappointed with either one of them.

Favorite Ride:   Motobecane Le Champion

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   An older steel Bianci. A Huffy Mountain bike, that got me back to riding five years ago, and my three year old Motobecane 700HT mountain bike which I ride interchangeably with the Le Champion.

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber frame and forks. Richey seat and seat post.Sram gears and brake system. Mavic/Aksium wheels with Continental Ultra Race tires. All "stock stuff" out of the box.

Le Champion SL Ti size dilemma -- 56 or 59?

Long time lurker, first time poster, please forgive me for any newbie mistakes. After lots of research and thought, I am planning on buying a Le Champion SL Ti but am having trouble deciding between the 56 and the 59. I'm 45, approx 6'0'' tall, crotch to floor inseam with shoes is 35 1/4". I ... Read More »

2007 Le champion sl

Does anyone know if this is a kinesis manufactured frame I noticed the alloy is different from most of the other moto frames. Frame 2.7 Pound XFusion SL Double-Butted Multi-Shape U6 Aluminum ThanksRead More »

What fork for 2006 Le Champion sl

Just picked up a 2006 Le champion SL frame and I will be building it up with an Ultegra kit. I'll need a new fork because my 2001 Fuji Roubaix pro has a 1" head tube. What will match this frame so I don't risk losing any handling characteristics? Thanks.....can't wait to get it rolling!!!Read More »

Motobecane Le Champion SL???

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum.. I thought that this would be the appropriate section. My question is this... I'm new to biking and have come across this Motobecane Le Champion SL. I was curious if this was a good deal for $700. I know that I need to go and ride the bike to make sur ... Read More »

Le Champion SL Ti

I recieved my Motobecane Le Champion SL Ti the other day. I place the order on a Saturday, and it was delivered the following Thursday. They do not process orders on the weekends, so it was four days shipping. I got an email asking to confirm the condition of the package, and it was acceptable. ... Read More »