Motobecane Le Champion SL Road Bike

4.57/5 (56 Reviews)

Ultegra STI 18 Spd. 15 Pounds. XFusion Quaternary phase alloy, Custom butted and shaped with PowerDiamond down tube, integrated headtube. FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Crankset 52/36, Ritchey WCS 31.8 Bar and Stem. Carbon SL Road post, VeloCarbon Ti Saddle, Vittoria Ultraspeed IntegraK 700x23c tires, American Classic Sprint350 Wheelset 24/28 1250g, SRAM R9 11-23 Cassette, Ultegra Brakeset.

Submitted by Stacy Krausmann

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth riding and very nimble. Rider can feel safe and secure while descending or climbing. As well as flat out speed. This bicycle is very light and agile. Responsive shifting and braking means all out performance. Nothing is left to chance with this beautiful bicycle and any rider, regardless of age or experience, will feel very satisfied. As I indicated, the shifting is almost effortless. When climbing, the gears respond very quickly and very accurately. As do the brakes. I found that even a novice rider with little to no experience can take this bicycle out for the first time and look as if they been riding for years. Very few bicycles can achieve that, but this one does. Attention to detail is something I look for in any road/race bike. Especially in the mechanics. The general layout may appear basic, but when one rides this bicycle for the very first time, they will know. This is no ordinary bicycle. In road/racing bicycles, anything that moves needs to weigh as little as possible. This particular bicycle answers that with the wheel set as well as the gear set/crank set. If you are looking for a beautiful bicycle, then this bicycle is it. If you are looking for a performance bicycle, then this bicycle is it. If you are on a budget and you don't want to buy your first bike and then change it all out and spend more money, then this bicycle is it. If you are still in doubt, go to your nearest Motobecane Dealer and check this bicycle out. You will not be disappointed.

Weaknesses:    I found no real weaknesses with this bicycle to report. Now this may appear unusual, but personally, I found this particular bicycle to be everything I would want in a race/road bike. If any weakness can be stated, it must be that this bike is not made in France. However, anyone that has been around bicycles long enough knows that almost all bicycles are made in either China or Taiwan. This is not a bad thing. It is just worth noting.

Bottom Line:
In conclusion, I have never met a cyclist that does not have an opinion about road/race bikes. I find that most riders/competitors are fair, but sometime picky. The Motobecane Le Champion SL is a great bicycle for the level it is marketed in. Can it compete with say an Italian bicycle? Perhaps. However, in reality one can hang any name on any frame they want and it almost always comes down to the rider first and then the wheels second. That is what wins races. Not the name or the color. This bicycle is perfect for those desiring entry level into the world of competitive cycling. Yes, one can switch out this component or that component, but the main deal here is ride this bicycle first and see what I am talking about. I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Even an old hand at racing can appreciate a bicycle such as this and will likely appreciate the efforts made is creating a really superb and well thought out machine. This bicycle receives 5 stars across the board from me. Not because I am trying to sell it, but because this bicycle represents everything I got into cycling for to begin with. This concludes my review. Thank you.

Submitted by Keith

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2013

Strengths:    Light, quick, high quality

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2014 Motobecane Le Champion (Full Carbon Frame, Ultregra) from Bikes Direct and it is an AWESOME bike. I actually bought 2, one for my wife also. After 150 miles, I can't believe the value and quality of the bike...it is simply awesome. It is fairly easy to assemble from the box, but I do recommend you visit your local bike shop and have them fit it, adjust the gears and do a safety check...it cost me $150 a bike to do all that, but I still saved a ton. Even my local bike shop was impressed with the Motobecane, the closest competitor was a Trek "on sale" for $3299. I purchased two and had them adjusted for less than that!

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    I too bought a Motobecane Le Champion road bike from Bikes Direct and could not be happier with my decision. The bike is light weight, extremely responsive, and handles very well at high speeds. The top notch components are also comforting as I can ride hard with the confidence that a parts failure is a small possibility. I would recommend this bike to anyone that is considering a higher end bike. Fight the name brands and try this bike

Weaknesses:    The seat is not comfortable for longer 75 to 100 mile rides and would suggest one that has more comfort where u need it

Bottom Line:
Bikes are very specialized bikes direct and Motobecane have done an excellent job of giving us an opportunity to buy a 6000 bike for 2500. Take the plunge. Safe riding to all

Submitted by Sprokets

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Beautifully crafted titanium frame, genuine Shimano, Ultegra, Ritchey, Mavic parts... all at an amazing price.
Fantastic deal! Seems like one of my best ever.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Just took delivery of my SL version of this bike yesterday from BikesDirect and I went for my first 36 mile ride on it this morning. In a single word I am delighted! Can't stop grinning at it.

Despite all my concerns about the suspiciously low price this bike is absolutely gorgeous (the brushed titanium look is sick) and it has genuine Shimano, Ritchey and Mavic parts throughput. The welds are very well done. I honestly can't see where they are cutting any corners with this deal. The local bike stores had nothing close to this that was under $5K.

Nothing was damaged or scratched on delivery (another fear that I had) and it all came very carefully packed. I had no problem assembling the bike.

Despite my fear of online shrills and scams I want to report here that BikeDirect are the real deal (although you may suspect that I am a shrill ...hmmmm.. not sure how you get around that).

Really a scorching deal from BD. It is still early days but it is hard for me to see how I can possibly go wrong with this purchase and at this price.

Submitted by Luis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Price,looks,performance

Weaknesses:    Tires were weak..changed to armadillos, and not a single flat in 1500 miles ;)

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike and still get a rush everytime I ride it. Im an EX NYC bike messenger and when I ride centuries I go wild accelerating! Climbs are a breeze with this bike. My friends have treks and bianchis which are twice as expensive and cross the finish line after me.The bike is super light and ive done 40 mph on this bike in the rain..try doing this and youll see what a rush this is! Im even thinking of getting the 2012 immortal spirit. Although to bikes can only help you perform to some extent, it also depends on your drive and determination to push your bike to the limits..i just love it when the bike responds with such precision!

Favorite Ride:   NYC century and Montauk century