Motobecane Le Champion Team Road Bike

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Shimano Dura-Ace STI 20 Speed Crankset, Brakeset, Front and Rear Derailleurs, Kinesium Double Butted MultiShape Aluminum, Ritchey OCR PRO DS Aero Wheelset, Ritchey Pro Bar, Stem and Seatpost. 16.9 pounds.

Submitted by jjohnlee a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    Value, value, value.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than advertised

Bottom Line:
You cannot beat bikesdirect.com for the money. My Le Champion Team arrived with FULL Dura Ace, including brakes, a bottom bracket tool, extra bar tape, etc. I wasn't sure about the wheelset at first, but now that I've ridden them for a few months, the Ritchey WCS Protocol wheels are solid and smooth. This bike is built for speed and distance. It is a little heavier than advertised, but not much. Other than putting a 120mm stem on it I am riding it completely stock as it came out of the box and I couldn't be happier.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Fuji, Kona, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except stem

Submitted by skcyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent quality and value.

Weaknesses:    Hardly worth mention: Rear wheel slightly out of true, tiny paint chip on chain stay, 44cm wide handlebars (I would have preferred 42cm).

Bottom Line:
56 cm model weighed 17.6 with Speedplay pedals; slightly higher than advertised, but no big deal. Advertised with Cane Creek brakes but came with Dura Ace brakes; nice surprise. Advertised with 11-21 cassette; came with 12-25, a better choice in my opinion. Advertised with one set of pedals; came with two sets including pretty nice SPD clip in and basic strap in pedal. Came with extra roll of handlebar tape and what looks like a BB tool. Bike arrived in CA in less than a week. Took about 2 hours to assemble; then took to mechanic for fine tuning which cost about $30, well spent. Bike rides and handles extremely well. I noted however, it feels a bit twitchy riding hands off. Could just be me. Ritchey Protocols and tires are very nice, smooth rolling. I believe I can climb significantly better using AC carbon wheels, which is to be expected. Ritcheys would be fine for training and racing as long as big climbs weren't expected. The Dura Ace Grupo fabulous; again DA brakes a sweet upgrade. (I can't say you'll get the same thing; expect what is advertised) Orange finish appears to have a deep lacquer clear coat. In any case it looks beautiful. My cycling friends agree the price is astonishingly low for a high quality bike. I'm very pleased with this bike. Also bought the $995 TT Motobecane from BD. Again a super deal. The TT bike is a bit heavy at 19+ # and came with crummy tires, but other than that a smooth riding, decent bicycle. Strongly recommend BD and their high value product line. Best to all. Steve

Favorite Ride:   Santa Barbara-Lake Casitas

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone, 2004 Ultegra equipped. Giant Compact TCR c 2005.

Bike Setup:   As from factory, except Easton carbon handlebars and seat post; AC carbon wheels for race.

Submitted by Sean Johnson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Great value, Dura Ace components, fast Ritchey wheel set.

Weaknesses:    Seat was marginal. I replaced it with a Selle Italia.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after hearing about Motobecane from a friend. After having it for only a few weeks, I rode Lotoja and put 206 miles on it in that ride alone. That experience alone made me appreciate this bikes solid performance and components. It's a joy to ride...and ride....and ride.

Favorite Ride:   Little Cottonwood Canyon

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Came 90% assembled in factory packaging.

Submitted by Cap a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Dura-Ace STI 20 Speed Crankset, Brakeset, Front and Rear Derailleurs.
Ritchey WCS Protocol Wheelset, Ritchey Pro Bar, Stem and Seatpost.
Carbon Fork + Carbon SeatStays

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
2007 Model (Orange): Great bang for your buck!! The bike rides great in every aspect. I average around 30 miles per ride, and can't say enough on how well it performs. Frame is very responsive, as well as comfortable on longer rides. An absolute joy to ride! I would highly recommend this bike. You can't beat the price with Full Dura-Ace.

Favorite Ride:   A1A Fort Lauderdale

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R1000 CAAD4

Bike Setup:   http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechampteam07INSTOCK.htm

Pretty much a stock setup as shipped from BikesDirect.com, with the exception of Look 206 pedals.

Submitted by vanden@entropae.com a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    DA is great, particularly the crank/bb.
frame is stiff for climbs, but carbon seat stays give a comfortable ride.

the ritchey wheels are great - very happy so far.

Weaknesses:    so-so assembly - cable not routed properly. left crank was loose.

Bottom Line:
i have 2007 model - very happy. bike climbs very well. it has good control for downhill and turns. seat stays soften the ride considerably from giant ocr1.

assembly was so-so; wheels were true and basic set-up was satifactory. cables were not routed properly, left crank arm was loose.

though motobecane is not a marquee name i have received a number of compliments on the bike. it looks great. paint job is hot and hasn't chipped (though i have only had a short while). i changed seat for selle slc gel and pedals for speedplay. saddle that comes with bike is low/middle end. peddles are ok if you use spd.