Motobecane Le Champion Titanium Road Bike

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

Frame
Geometrically enhanced, butted 3/2.5 Titanium with replaceable derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses Click Here to See Image Gallery

Fork
AeroCarbon SL High Modulus Monocoque 3K Carbon Fiber with 1.125 inch Aluminum Steerer

Headset
FSA IS2 Sealed Bearing Threadless 1.125 inch

Derailleurs
Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed (20 Spd total) front and rear

Shifters/Levers
Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 Speed STI (20 Speed total)

Brakes

Color
Brushed Titanium Click Here for Image Gallery

Submitted by RMW a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Handling, Value. On the flat I can do an almost effortless 18mph.

Weaknesses:    I am a bit worried about the back wheel. I read that some Mavic Askiums are lemons. The wheel was re-tensioned and trued in the shop, and is now out of true again after one long fast ride. There might be a QC problem at Mavic. I'II try loosing 20lbs. The brake pads are the dusty cheapo type -- but hey! you've gotta cut the costs somewhere. Will upgrade to Shimano ultegra.

Bottom Line:
I went with Titanium since the roads around here are dangerously bad, relentless deep potholes and trenches, plus I am a heavier rider (210LBS). A bad combo for bikes. The frame on my old Alu Trek1200 eventually cracked, and I didn't want to risk getting a new "disposable" carbon or Al frame. My priorities are durability and quality.
This bike is a massive upgrade. Assembly was straightforward (I did watch the Bikes Direct video). I was very surprised on my first trip out; the ride was Smooth Smooth Smooth. The Ti really soaks up the bumps, just like people say. The components are awesome, the ultegra gears have a great positive feel and shifting is flawless. I must mention that I love the handle bars, the thick tape works for me, and the little halfway kink makes the drop position way more comfortable than normal. The bike is very fast and responsive, lots of WOW! Highly recommended. Doing Centuries on this will be an absolute pleasure. I bought the 56cm; I am almost 6 foot, with a 34" inside leg. The fit seems fine to me. The riding position is similar to the Trek; Sporty(ish).
After some initial wearing-in the bike REALLY needed a tune up (stretched cables, steering head went very loose, back wheel needed extreme truing). The FSA compact has a great gear range and I have adopted without problems from my old Triple (I do a lot of hills).

Favorite Ride:   La Jolla Rancho Santa Fe

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1200 (with bullet proof Mavic wheels)

Bike Setup:   Stock, apart from Specialized Avatar seat instead of supplied Ritchey.

Submitted by Leonard --Greenville SC a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Strengths:    Very lite weight, compact crank set is so nice for my old legs. Boy does this bike take off with little pedal effort.

Weaknesses:    No weakness in my book, Sweet ride

Bottom Line:
Fast delivery and easy 30 min assembly. The finish is very nice and rides very smooth. My first bike has lasted me 39 years and still very rideable and this titanium choice should be my final bike of my life. I love the triangle shape of the main tubes. I had not noticed them in the online photos, great extra touch of style.

Favorite Ride:   Saluda grade

Purchased At:   bikedirect

Similar Products Used:   A custom assembled aluminum bike with all Ultegra components

Bike Setup:   Just as described in Bikedirect online ad.

Submitted by Paul a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Price ($2600 including shipping? Unbelievable!), frame stiffness, top-end gruppo, appearance.

Weaknesses:    Mavic hubs. It's great that they are zero maintenance, but they don't roll as smoothly as the Campy SR on my old bike. But this it splitting hairs somewhat; my rides are still very fast.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2011 Moto LeChampion Ti with the SRAM Red gruppo.

I'm 5'6", 145#. I use the Moto for 3x-4x/week commuting (24 flat miles) as well as for longer weekend rides.

Out of the box, it was simple to set up. All bolts were still tightened to spec. I have tools & have been working on bikes for years, so it took about 35 minutes to get it rolling.

This bike is great. Shifting is precise, braking is very strong, it seems glued to corners on downhills, it's lightweight, and makes me feel like I could race again. Average speed is up almost 2mph over my (old) steel-frame Bianchi. The Ti frame isn't as smooth as steel, but it's still nice and has no noticeable flex. I've put 800 miles on it in the last two months and have no complaints. The bike is a steal!

Favorite Ride:   Anhything with hills

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   Stock as per bikesdirect.

Submitted by wreednelson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive, lively, comfortable, powerful SRAM brakes, great gearing, climbs well.

Weaknesses:    None when value is considered.

Bottom Line:
Having ridden carbon and aluminum bikes for 20 years, my impression of the frame is very good. It feels lively and the geometry [along withe the compact drive train] is great for climbing.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with rolling hills

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek OCLV
C'dale R900

Bike Setup:   My bike came equipped with SRAM Rival throughout, Ritchey Pro components elsewhere, and Askium wheels.

Submitted by Gary in WI a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Strengths:    THE FRAME. Also, the component mix is good for the price range. Although Asksium wheels have mixed reviews, I have had zero problems with this set or the olds on my old bike.

Weaknesses:    The bottom bracket (FSA) has developed an annoying creak when I stand on the pedals and lean the bike over. I plan on switching to a Shimano BB over the winter. I also wish the bike had more understated graphics. The stock brake pad were terrible and I replaced those with Kool Stops.

Bottom Line:
A little background ... I'm 57, 165#, semi-in shape and owned the bike for just over one year and 3200 miles. I wanted a non-carbon fiber frame (I say that and the bike has a carbon fork - so I guess I'm not consistent)and took a chance on bikesdirect. The bike arrived quickly & in good condition. The frame is nice, with a couple neat shaped tubes. Welds are uniformly good. The ride is good, but somehow I was expecting "velvety smooth" which it's not quite, but then again, I'm kind of old.

Favorite Ride:   GRABAAWR

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   My previous bike was an 1995 all-aluminum Raleigh R600 which served me well for over 40,000 miles

Bike Setup:   Changed the 50t chainwheel to 46t as I found the frequent FD shifting with the compact crank frustrating - - cost 30 bucks and works well. Also have a Brooks B17N saddle and Speedplay Frogs.

Le Champion Team Titanium- seat clamp

Hi all, I have a 2010 Le champion team titanium ([url]http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_teamti_10.htm[/url]) and due to a seat clamp bolt issue I need to replace the seat bolt. I realize the seat post is 27.2 but does anyone know the exact size seat clamp I need. I think its ... Read More »

2011 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium with Sram Rival

I was wondering what you guys thought of this titanium bike at bikesdirect for $1600: [IMG]http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/lechamp_ti_heat_rival_2100.jpg[/IMG] Frame Geometrically enhanced, butted 3/2.5 Titanium with replaceable derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses Click H ... Read More »

le Champion Titanium with Sram Rival

We are starting to do Ti road with Sram groups I think Rival would be most popular - but who thinks Red is a better to spec on Ti even if more money Did rival sample with Hollow decals Who prefers hollow decals to the traditional Solid Black with Silver outline? [URL="www.bikesdirect.com ... Read More »