Neil Pryde Bikes Alize Road Bike

The aerodynamic Alize design incorporates morphing aerofoil cross-sections to manage airflow, joints and transitions that are performance solutions, sculpted chain stays for increased stiffness. Every surface, every contour and every angle of the frame are opportunities to create, control and refine aerodynamic performance. The Alize, when built with the complete Shimano Ultegra 6700 groupset, and 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset, and premium FSA components, is the perfect bike for breaking away from the peleton. The newly engineered Ultegra crank now offers a more direct power transfer at a significantly lighter weight, and the improved performances and durability in the latest Ksyriums is based on Mavic's Isopulse lacing, a larger dish, and high quality cartridge bearings. The Extended Kammtail design, developed through extensive Computational Fluid Dynamics and wind tunnel testing, incorporated in the Alize down tube and seat tube reduces aerodynamic drag and enables high lateral and torsional stiffness, without adding weight. Every single part reflects a balance between elegant engineering… and insane speed.

Submitted by Ari a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    The Alize is a thoroughly modern road bike with a amazing blend of high speed and very comfortable mile eating capabilities married to classy boutique looks and high tech aero performance. It's impressive given this is Neil Prydes debut bike. After 1500+ miles I can say this a great all rounder. The comfort factor is great especially running tubeless Dura Ace C24 rims. Road buzz is minimal but the bike feels well connected to the road and is stable handling while still being snappy and responds well to body movement. Downhill speed is a major strength this bike accelerates rapidly and tracks true at high speed. The aerodynamics are noticeable especially in windy conditions. Climbing suits seated tempo and strong riders will enjoy the rapid power transfer out of the saddle. A powerful package and with the bespoke build and high quality finish it will turn heads and reward the rider. Up there with big name euro brands

Weaknesses:    I bought this as a custom frame direct from Neil Pryde in the USA. Frankly the build quality is not out of line with what you see on pinarello or mercx type frames from Asia. At around $2000 usd it's a very good value. In use it has proven vice free and a bike that can devour the miles if the rider is in the mood. The only criticism is the handling may be a touch slow or relaxed for those who prefer super snappy handling. The Alize is also smooth and light climbing but isnt the featherweight hill hound that the diablo or Bura SL are. That said the comfort factor and easy to spin up character of the Alize makes it well suited to long seated clImbs. Anyway you will catch most bikes on the descents!

Bottom Line:
A world class ride and top value frame. Our club did a group deal which included my custom Alize. We were all very impressed with the bikes and the deal from Neil Pryde. Great bikes and for the quality an amazing deal.
My setup with Dura Ace Di2, Deda cockpit, Dura Ace C24 wheelset, Time iClic carbon, TRP carbon brakes and Fizik Versus Arione comes in right on 15lb at size 57/58 XL. This bike is a delight to ride and can hustle when you want to. I get a lot of positive comments on its looks.
The Neil Pryde custom team did a great job. The Di2 specific frame has some cool touches with complete internal wiring and a very well designed battery mount under the non drive chain stay. The paintwork looks great and the custom program worked well. I've seen very few of these bikes in California so the unique bike factor is also high. Kudos to Chris and Red 5 racing for the great support and Mike Pryde in Hong Kong for the insightful service and of course a great bike.

Favorite Ride:   Elfin forest San Diego

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Custom program direc

Similar Products Used:   GT Team Carbon, kestrel Talon, Colnago Master X Lite

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace Di2 drivetrain and C24 wheelset tubeless with Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless. TRP carbon brakes. Fizik saddle. Time iClic pedals. Deda elementi zero stem and E3 Race bars.

Submitted by Bob a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    Overall a great package, fast, light, responsive,climbs well, inspires confidence descending and looks really classy, especially with the Carbone wheelset where the deep section rims enhance the look. For a frameset of this quality and the high spec of the components the price represents good value (I base this on the research I did of the alternatives priced in the UK).

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find any weaknesses with the bike in terms of the ride. I would have liked there to be more options for the build. I wanted a compact crankset (I live in an area with 15% gradients) and aero wheels, but there was no option for this on the website. When I got in touch with the UK agent, he liaised with the factory and was really helpful in arranging for this. This is getting very picky, but I would also have liked the opportunity to specify bottle cages, rather than having to buy them as accessories.

Bottom Line:
My Alize is a very classy machine, which has been much admired by my club mates. I bought it via the UK agent after finding that the build options offered on the website did not really suit my needs. Scott was incredibly helpful in ensuring that I got what I wanted and kept me fully informed at all stages of the buying process. The bike arrived within about 2 weeks of me ordering, and this would have been less had I not gone for a non-standard build. It was extremely well packed and very easy to set up. It fitted me really well from the word go (always a worry when you do not get an opportunity for a test ride). As well as club rides & training I have done a couple of centuries, (including the Skye Sportive in gale force winds with hailstorms!). I have found the Alize is a great all round road bike, fast, light, comfortable, good at climbing and stable on the descents. I thought it might be a handful in windy conditions with the deep section rims, but have had no problems. Compared to the Focus I seem to use a bit less effort holding my own with the group and pulling my turn on the front.

Favorite Ride:   I live in NE Scotland so spoilt for choice!

Purchased At:   NeilPryde UK

Similar Products Used:   Bought the Alize as a "best bike". Other bikes are a Focus Cayo Ultegra (carbon frame), and a Cannondale Touring Classic which I use as a winter bike & for touring.

Bike Setup:   Alize, with standard Dura Ace Build apart from switching to a compact crankset and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR wheels. Size L (56cm) is a perfect fit for my 5' 9" height.

Submitted by Mark a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness, comfort, looks, aerodynamics

Bottom Line:
This bike is an absolute dream to ride. The first thing you notice is how light it is, and I have relatively heavy wheels. I have SRAM Force group, alloy stem, carbon bars, and Mavic Cosmic wheels and it came in at 16 lbs 6 oz.

What I noticed as soon as I started pedaling for the 1st time was the power transfer to the road. It feels like every bit of power transfers to forward motion. The next thing I noticed was how comfortable the Alize is to ride, which was surprising for the given stiffness of the frame. I found it to ride as smooth and comfortably as my older aluminum frame bikes. My longest ride on the bike has been 72 miles and I never felt like it was getting uncomfortable. The aerodynamics is no gimmick/joke. They are noticeable in light winds (up to about 10 mph). You can't forget about the appearance of this bike. I have gotten many, many comments about how good it looks. It's definitely an attention grabber. If I saw this bike in a bar, I'd buy it a drink.

As for the price above, the $2500 is for the frameset only.
Nothing but good things about this bike.

Purchased At:   Glory Cycles

Bike Setup:   Alize Frame (Small) black carbon, SRAM Force group, Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow, FSA SL-K stem, FSA K-Wing Carbon bars, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, Mavic Cosmic wheels

NeilPryde Alize Video Review

Hi! Have a look at the first video review of the NeilPryde Alize road bike: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUA3LfYFmO8[/url] Greetings, MattRead More »