Orbea Avant Road Bike

Submitted by tj2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2014

Strengths:    Comfortable geometry for the less-flexible. Soaks up road chatter, bumps, etc. Very stable on descents. Full Ultegra. Handles well without being twitchy. Easily upgradeable/changeable. Will handle wider-than-usual tires due to the disk brakes.

Weaknesses:    A little noisy on rough roads. The unpainted, “raw” carbon portions of the frame look a little blotchy for my taste.

Bottom Line:
I was waiting to get a few more miles on the bike before posting an in-depth review. With about 650 miles on the bike (including 1 hilly century), here are a few thoughts on the Avant.

I’m riding an M30D Avant, with full Ultegra componentry and the Shimano BR-CX77 disc brakes. I had a professional fitting done at a local shop that uses the Body Geometry fit system and ended up changing out the saddle and stem for a more comfortable fit. I also use Shimano PD-M540 pedals and mountain bike shoes. I often ride into town to meet my wife at work and ride back with her, and road cleats wouldn’t be much appreciated where she works.

So, how does the bike work for me? Very, very well. The riding position is very comfortable for a 50-year-old guy without a lot of flexibility. I particularly appreciating the shallow drop handlebar that allow me to ride for extended periods in the drops without my back hurting. It’s not a racing position, but it helps when I’m heading into the wind or when I just want a little change of position.

The bike is very stable even at high (for me) speeds. When descending at around 40 MPH, the handling is solid and the bike tracks well. My LeMond, for all its good points, would often begin to shudder at those speeds but the Avant is steady. Adding to the feeling is the solid performance of the disk brakes. These are my first disk brakes and I wasn’t quite sure how I’d like them, particularly since mechanical disk brakes seem to be held in lower esteem than hydraulics. Well, I like them fine. It’s easy to modulate braking power, and there’s plenty of braking power. I’ve noticed that after braking heavily at the bottom of a descent, sometimes I’ll hear a slight rubbing sound for a few seconds due to the rotors heating up, but it quickly goes away and a look at the front rotor while riding shows that it tracks true and doesn’t show any warping due to heat buildup.

I found the Selle Italia seat that the Avant came with was too narrow for me, and I swapped it out for a Specialized Toupe, and when that proved uncomfortable on longer rides I went back to the Specialized Milano. Likewise, the stock stem was too long and too flat for my tastes and I swapped in a Specialized 60mm stem with a 24-degree rise. These are, of course, personal tastes and your mileage may vary.

On a century ride, I found that the comfort held up for the whole ride. The ride has about 7,500 feet of climbing and some of the roads have broken asphalt that rivals cobblestones for a rough ride. Even with all of that, the Avant soaked up the bumps so well that I felt pretty good at the end of the ride. It fits the “endurance bike” category to a T.

I don’t have a scale, so I don’t have a weight for the Avant fully outfitted. I will say that it’s not a noticeably heavy ride, but I’m not a weight weenie to begin with. If I were, I’d have skipped the disk brakes. I’ve done a fair bit of climbing on the bike and it seems like a better climber than the LeMond. The climbs in my area are shorter but steep, with the steepest climb on the century being a 20% grade and the top 10 climbs all 14% or greater. The Avant works well on the climbs, maintaining traction even on the steepest climbs without undue effort.

From as aesthetic point of view, it’s a good-looking bike in general. I’m not a big fan of the dark color scheme of the M30D, although the blue accents on the frame do help. However, others have complimented the looks of the bike so it’s very much a personal opinion.

All in all, I’m quite happy with my Avant. It’s my first new bike in a number of years and I’m happy to say that I feel like I made a good decision in going with this bike.

My new Avant build thread

I had wanted a De Rosa since I was a kid but wasnt really into the carbon revolution, so when I found this frame I was a bit scepitcal. Once it showed up however I thought it was cool as hell so I decided to build my dream bike. so here goes!Read More »

Avant Frame on bonktown right now - $1960

I don't know if that's a good price or not, but thought I post a heads up hereRead More »

Master X Light or De Rosa Avant

Hi! My first post here. Been lurking for sometime now. I am currently at a lost on what bike to get and was wondering if you guys can help me out. Some background. I used to ride alot/competitively 20 years ago. Back then I had a Colnago/DA STI combo. After settling down I sold most of my stu ... Read More »

difference 2007 2008 and size AVANT

Please i will know, the difference of AVANT 2007 and AVANT 2008, i think that 2008 is lighter, and i will know the seatpost size of frame (27,2 31,8 28 )Read More »