Orbea Orca Road Bike

4.72/5 (64 Reviews)

Despite a name that conjures up images of the perfect lunch, the Orbea Orca BLT is a bronze-level carbon fiber frame equipped with Shimano Ultegra components.

Submitted by Scot

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2014

Strengths:    Great component group
Saddle
price
ride comfort
looks
lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Mavic Aksium Wheels & tires

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the 2013 Orbea Orca Bronze Di2. I bought my 2013 as a new but previous year model, so I got a pretty good price on it. I have been very glad I pulled the trigger on the Orca. It's a unique and attractive looking bike. Orbea didn't cheap out on this one like some companies do. All the components are Ultegra Di2. Comes with Ultegra cassette, brakes, the whole nine yards. The saddle is also outstanding. Some companies cheap out on the saddle, but the not Orbea. The Selle Italia SL Flow is very comfortable, unlike some of the ball busters on some bikes.
The ride is surprising smooth yet responsive when you get out of the saddle and push it. It's light weight and very well put together. The only "knock" on the bike, if you can call it that, are the wheels and tires. The Mavic Aksiums are not a bad set of wheels for training and bashing around on, but an upgrade in that department later on down the road is in the picture. It's common for all companies to put cheaper wheels on to keep cost down. That's the only thing I want to upgrade. The bike is over all a very nice package. I love the electronic shifting and the handlebars, I may upgrade to the carbon 3T Ergonova's down the road. Very nice bike for $2499.

Submitted by bianchibuddy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Nice comfortable ride, stiff, sharp looking, light enough and aero enough, BB30 is light,stiff, & narrow,

Weaknesses:    Sweet paint job somewhat fragile, no straight seatpost option

Bottom Line:
Great ride, plenty comfortable, and stiff rear end. OS headtube tracks very tight inspires confidence. Overall, i really enjoy everything about the ride.

Bike Setup:   Silver level, white KBS color frame, Sram Force, Reynolds MV32ULC wheels, Ritchey b & s, Speedplay Zero's. Under 15 lbs.

Submitted by turbokirbo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    quick, stiff frame, great looking, good climber and descender.

Weaknesses:    none noted yet.

Bottom Line:
Well I just got this bike yesterday, put it together and took it for a short test ride. Then I went out today on a balmy February Sunday with my normal group ride. We put in 30 miles at a hot pace. Wow, I felt energized on this fine machine! I usually ride strong in my group but don't always make it first to the top of the hills on our courses, but not today! This Orca was all that it was billed up to be, quick, stiff and full of energy. I took off on my final sprint and my strong partner could not outpace me. My Orca just wouldn't be beat. I immediately pulled ahead, not to be caught. The Orca was quick and responsive all day when you stepped on the pedals. Climbing and descending were also a pleasure. I had heard a few other comments about this bike may not be best is you are a "heavy weight" but I'm 202lbs and I felt not flex that was not wanted. I will check back later after putting more miles on the bike but so far, I'm impressed!

Favorite Ride:   roads off & on the Blue ridge parkway

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Versaille carbon

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace components, Mavic Ksyrium Equip wheels, Zeus carbon handlebars & stem. Conti, 4000 all season tires.

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
Beautifully designed bike that performs as well as it looks. I've had this bike ripping down mountain passes at 45 mph and it rode like it was on a rail. There was absolutely no shimmy or shaking and the bike provided a great feel for the road. This bike does want to go fast and is extremely responsive so it may nit be for the inexperienced rider.

I was amazed at the power transfer and the bikes ability to easily climb. It also has very tight steering and is incredibly responsive.

Favorite Ride:   Grizzly peak

Purchased At:   Lbs

Similar Products Used:   Scattante cfr elite, bianchi

Submitted by Kidney Dave a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, weight, handling, responsiveness, comfort, and, quite frankly, exclusivity. The bike will do whatever you want or need it to do, and it does it with a certain amount of panache that is just so hard to find.

Weaknesses:    I can only afford 1...

Bottom Line:
Had the chance to purchase a 2008 frame NIB. Built it up with SRAM Force and Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelse.
I previously rode a 2010 Cannondale Super6, and I can say with supreme confidence that this bike is so much more superior than anything I have ridden. It is fast, in every aspect. Those reviewers who said it isn't a climber, well, I guess that means you don't have good legs. As far as being twitchy, well, learn how to handle your bike.
The ride is superb, well mannered, and is as good for the local crit as it is for a 6 hour century. The handling is razor sharp and fast, and confidence inspiring on descents. It holds it line very well. I will agree with the reviewers that said that this bike isn't for an inexperienced rider. If you are new to riding, then there will be a learning curve, as this bike is eager to move. It is drop dead gorgeous, even for being a 3 year old frame. When I showed up to the local shop ride last night, a small crown immediately assembled to ogle and ask questions.
The bike is torsionally as stiff as anything I will ever need, yet compliant enough to not kill me if I spend more than 2 hours on it. It is extremely responsive and a joy to ride. The stiffness of the frame is noticeable on climbs, where it seems like all that is needed is to sit back, relax, and just spin away until you reach the top.
I have had the chance to demo the Tarmac SL3, Scott Addict R1, a Lynskey helix with Campy SR11, a Giant TCR advance, and even a Serotta Ottrot, and I firmly belive that is a bike that has them all beat.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Mitchell

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   2010 Sram force everywhere, FSA seatpost and cockpit, Fizik Antares saddle, 2011 Mavic Ksyrium SL

2013 Orca Seat Post Clamp Bolt

Can anyone tell me what size the seat post clamp bolt is? The T head has become stripped and I need to get a new one. I do not have a local rep anywhere close to me.Read More »

Paid spam. My beautiful 2007 Orca is for sale

[url=http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=31458]2007 Orbea Orca SRAM HED Fizik - RoadBikeREVIEW.Com[/url]Read More »

2012 orca gold for sale

I have just listed this in the classsifieds... [url=http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=31027]2012 ORBEA ORCA GOLD BIKE WITH FAST FORWARD F4R WHEELS - RoadBikeREVIEW.Com[/url]Read More »

Orbea Orca Seatpost Clmap Size

How does one measure the size of a seatpost clamp for an Orbea Orca? I think the bike is from 2005. It has a sleeve which goes inside the seat tube. The diameter of this sleeve is 29mm from outside edge to outside edge. I was looking at a Salsa LipLock clamp in the 30.0 mm size. Does this sound ... Read More »

Question on Orbea Orca carbon fiber frames

I wanted to know if anyone knows if an 2009 Orbea Orca carbon frame(top of the line) and a 2011-12 Orca Silver are comparable regarding the carbon fiber grade. I cant seem to find any specific info on the material used. All it states is Orca Gold, Silver and Bronze levels. I know that Orbea in 2008- ... Read More »