Orbea Orca Road Bike

4.68/5 (65 Reviews)

Despite a name that conjures up images of the perfect lunch, the Orbea Orca BLT is a bronze-level carbon fiber frame equipped with Shimano Ultegra components.

Submitted by rogmerrill a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2016

Strengths:    Frame and Ultegra components

Weaknesses:    Bought it with Ultegra, thought the FSA carbon crankset was an upgrade, but it never shifted as well as my previous 8 speed Ultegra. Had a bent front derailleur this year, and my mechanic said it was caused by the FSA crankset. I just switched to an Ultegra crankset and it shifts like a dream now.

Bottom Line:
My bike is 2006 model bought new in 2007 with 10 speed Ultegra. It never shifted all that well: it often sounded like it was in between gears after a shift, and the shifts were often slow. Ignorant as I was, I thought the FSA crankset was an upgrade from Ultegra. My mechanic who replaced the bent front derailleur a month ago showed me an Ultegra crankset and the little notches it has to make it work well, and explained that Shimano made a carbon crankset for about a month before they found they flexed too much. I replaced the crankset and it is a new bike. Orbea is still putting FSA cranksets with Ultegra components to save money. This is unforgiveable on a bike that sells for around $4000 these days.

Purchased At:   Grand Performance

Similar Products Used:   LeMond Zurich with Ultegra 8 speed

Submitted by Scot

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2014

Strengths:    Great component group
ride comfort
lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Mavic Aksium Wheels & tires

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the 2013 Orbea Orca Bronze Di2. I bought my 2013 as a new but previous year model, so I got a pretty good price on it. I have been very glad I pulled the trigger on the Orca. It's a unique and attractive looking bike. Orbea didn't cheap out on this one like some companies do. All the components are Ultegra Di2. Comes with Ultegra cassette, brakes, the whole nine yards. The saddle is also outstanding. Some companies cheap out on the saddle, but the not Orbea. The Selle Italia SL Flow is very comfortable, unlike some of the ball busters on some bikes.
The ride is surprising smooth yet responsive when you get out of the saddle and push it. It's light weight and very well put together. The only "knock" on the bike, if you can call it that, are the wheels and tires. The Mavic Aksiums are not a bad set of wheels for training and bashing around on, but an upgrade in that department later on down the road is in the picture. It's common for all companies to put cheaper wheels on to keep cost down. That's the only thing I want to upgrade. The bike is over all a very nice package. I love the electronic shifting and the handlebars, I may upgrade to the carbon 3T Ergonova's down the road. Very nice bike for $2499.

Submitted by bianchibuddy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Nice comfortable ride, stiff, sharp looking, light enough and aero enough, BB30 is light,stiff, & narrow,

Weaknesses:    Sweet paint job somewhat fragile, no straight seatpost option

Bottom Line:
Great ride, plenty comfortable, and stiff rear end. OS headtube tracks very tight inspires confidence. Overall, i really enjoy everything about the ride.

Bike Setup:   Silver level, white KBS color frame, Sram Force, Reynolds MV32ULC wheels, Ritchey b & s, Speedplay Zero's. Under 15 lbs.

Submitted by turbokirbo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2012

Strengths:    quick, stiff frame, great looking, good climber and descender.

Weaknesses:    none noted yet.

Bottom Line:
Well I just got this bike yesterday, put it together and took it for a short test ride. Then I went out today on a balmy February Sunday with my normal group ride. We put in 30 miles at a hot pace. Wow, I felt energized on this fine machine! I usually ride strong in my group but don't always make it first to the top of the hills on our courses, but not today! This Orca was all that it was billed up to be, quick, stiff and full of energy. I took off on my final sprint and my strong partner could not outpace me. My Orca just wouldn't be beat. I immediately pulled ahead, not to be caught. The Orca was quick and responsive all day when you stepped on the pedals. Climbing and descending were also a pleasure. I had heard a few other comments about this bike may not be best is you are a "heavy weight" but I'm 202lbs and I felt not flex that was not wanted. I will check back later after putting more miles on the bike but so far, I'm impressed!

Favorite Ride:   roads off & on the Blue ridge parkway

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Versaille carbon

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace components, Mavic Ksyrium Equip wheels, Zeus carbon handlebars & stem. Conti, 4000 all season tires.

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
Beautifully designed bike that performs as well as it looks. I've had this bike ripping down mountain passes at 45 mph and it rode like it was on a rail. There was absolutely no shimmy or shaking and the bike provided a great feel for the road. This bike does want to go fast and is extremely responsive so it may nit be for the inexperienced rider.

I was amazed at the power transfer and the bikes ability to easily climb. It also has very tight steering and is incredibly responsive.

Favorite Ride:   Grizzly peak