Parlee Cycles Z3 Road Bike

4.73/5 (11 Reviews)

In 2008 the Z3 was voted Cycling Weekly's race bike of the year, and has been impressing everyone from serious racers to enthusiasts since. Consitently competitive in stiffness to weight ratio tests, while still providing the exceptional ride quality and manufacturing you should expect from Parlee; the Z3 truely is a race bike that can take you anywhere you want to go. Parlee continues to impress with their quality construction, which perfectly translates to the highest performance and reliable. After all, each frame requires a weeks worth of man hours to produce; double that of any competitor.

Submitted by JCP a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, acceleration, handling, you name it.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest, but weight is not everything.
Price-Holy crap, did I really just pay that?

Bottom Line:
To sum in one word: Magic. With respect to overall ride quality, the best I have ever ridden. The bike is smooth and comfortable. Definitely less post ride fatique. However, it boasts snappy acceleration and can climb like a goat. How does a frame that looks so plain ride so well? I am baffled but ecstatic. The only other frame I will ever replace the Z3 is with another Parlee. The best out there today. Period.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 613, Giant TCR and Advanced, Scott Addict, Trek, Klein,

Submitted by Uncle Lar a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    All day ride with crit quickness. have raced it in everything from 5 mile ITT to 200 milers. A frame you do not have to account for a weakness or fault. Very stable descender. Many training miles in the Eastern Washington desert.

Weaknesses:    To expensive for casual use.

Bottom Line:
Best frame I have ever owned and I have owned many, many frames. Have approx 16,000 miles and figure it is good for another 10K at least.

Favorite Ride:   Tour d' Lac

Purchased At:   DIrect Order

Similar Products Used:   TREK, Colnogo, Ridley, Bianchi, Lightspeed, LeMond, Cannondale, Masi, Raleigh, etc, etc.

Bike Setup:   Shimano Dura-Ace drivetrain. Campy Record shifting. Tompson Stem, Seatpost, Many different wheels.

Submitted by Windy City Johnny a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2010

Strengths:    very nice looking, light, stiff

Weaknesses:    Customer service to the general population of riders; can't help but think some sponsored pro would have gotten a new frame.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS 100% TRUE AND FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN BUILDING, RIDING, AND RACING BIKES FOR OVER 25 YEARS!

After riding the bike for several months I went to do some winter maintenance. I noticed a strange sound in the down tube, it sounded like water was swishing around in it, and not a little water more like two cups of water! I took the bottom bracket off to see if I could drain it out and to my surprise the water was in the down tube and WOULD NOT DRAIN OUT. I contacted Parlee and they told me to send it in to them. After a few WEEKS I get the frame back and someone has drilled a hole from the bottom bracket into the down tube to drain the water. Who ever did the job had the technical skill of a 6th grader, it looked like crap! I contacted Parlee and they told me that drilling this hole was something they were doing on ALL new Parlees; after going into a shop and looking at new Parlees hanging on the wall I saw that this was a LIE. They told me that this happens sometimes because there is a void in the carbon lay-up and it can't be avoided. I called 20+ Parlee dealers in the USA and NOT ONE said they had EVER heard of such a thing happening; so that is lie number 2. They said that they did NOTHING to prevent water from getting in the down tube but now it could drain into my bottom bracket area......GREAT! I told them I was not satisfied with this "fix" and wanted a new frame. They REFUSED to help me out and blew me off.

Favorite Ride:   Lonely, Hilly, Country Roads

Purchased At:   Direct Buy From Parl

Similar Products Used:   Colnago C40, Calfee Dragon Fly

Bike Setup:   Campy Record

Submitted by Matt a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    climbing, smoothing out rough roads, sprints, decending...basically it'll do anything you want it to.

Weaknesses:    uhhh...price?

Bottom Line:
What an incredible ride! This bike offers the best combination of stiffness and comfort of any that I have ridden. The bottom bracket looks smallish compared with some of the more "modern rides" out there, but I will tell you that it is VERY reponsive and simply goes when I step on the gas. I'm coming off a specialized S-Works Tarmac, and there is simply no comparison...I could not believe the difference. The ride is simply etheral!

Favorite Ride:   any climb up

Purchased At:   The Bike Gallery

Similar Products Used:   In my mind there are no similar products (other than Z1 and Z2). I just rode Dogma last week and it does not compare in my mind as the ride is much more muted (think dead)

Bike Setup:   Parlee Z3, uni tubing
DA 7900 throughout
Mavic Ksyrium SL
ENVE composites bar, stem, post

Submitted by reedy a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    The best finish I have seen on a bike- stiff -fast- comfy- looks- direct -just amazing

Weaknesses:    None- you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
A smile on my face every ride. Gee its good. I have had all the top bikes over the years-c50 595- Extreme power- but nothing rides like this bike- comfy -direct -solid -light and stiff all in one- its unreal. I have the z3 sl custom in high gloss with white details.

Favorite Ride:   Hills

Similar Products Used:   Look 595- Colnago C50- Look 585- Colnago EP.

Bike Setup:   Campy Super Record-Fulcrum 1 wheelset

Parlee Z3

So here's my Z3, a stock 59cm build with de-badged Reynolds MV46 wheels that complete the Parlee stealth look!Read More »

Help: Looking for 2011 Felt Z2/Z3/Z4/Z5 OEM saddle

I have a 2011 Felt Z5 and fit the OEM saddle extremely well. I have tried to find this saddle by contacting Felt as well as calling a bunch of bike stores who carry Felt bikes but have had zero luck. My last chance is to find the owners of these bikes who have hated these OEM saddles and potenti ... Read More »

Training Z3, SST, or Z4 in cold weather

I live in the Washington DC area and my training time is usually before 9am. In the winter, there will be periods where it is quite cold (20s) at this hour. I can do workouts on the trainer indoors, but would prefer to do them outside if there is no ice/snow hazard. Assuming I am dressed such ... Read More »

Parlee Z3 pricing

How much would a used Parlee Z3 w/ all sl tubing except DT(UD tubing) w/ an Edge 1.0 fork go for ? Would anyone have a rough estimate ? Would 2250 sound good ? Overpriced ? Too low ? Cheers !Read More »

Running in Z2 and Z3

I'm not a big runner but do a few triathlons and biathlons every year and I notice that my running heart rate is darn near my max heart rate whenever I run. If I want to run in a Z2 or Z3 it's pretty much walking. I usually only get about 12 weeks of training in before the events, and have usua ... Read More »