Raleigh USA Sport Road Bike

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

A great entry-level road bike, the 2006 Raleigh Sport features a 6061 series aluminum frame and chromoly road fork. The Sport is equipped with a 24-speed Shimano drivetrain, SRAM cassette and a Truvativ Iso-Flow crankset. It’s never been so easy to get on board a genuine Raleigh road bike.
  • 6061 Aluminum Frame w/replaceable hanger
  • Shimano Sora 8spd Shifters
  • Truvativ ISO Flow Road 30/42/52t Cranks
  • Vittoria Zaffiro 700x25c Tires

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mike

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride. Road with it across Iowa. Beautiful bike. Still kicking.

Weaknesses:    A little Heavy. Although upgrades can be made.

Bottom Line:
    I love the bike so much that instead of purchasing a new one I am fixing it up and giving it a make-over. New mavic wheels! Sweet ride.

Submitted by rick_guitarist a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2011

Strengths:    Nice looking finish and decals, quality components, smooth ride. Comfortable, smooth handling, and responsive. You mash the pedals and the bike jumps forward. No problems after 3+ years of heavy usage.

Weaknesses:    Heavy Cro-moly fork

Bottom Line:
    I bought this 2006 model Raleigh Sport new in 2008.It was sitting in store for a year and a half but was still brand new. I have no complaints about this bike at all. I have used this bike for over 3 years now and have only replaced the tires and tubes. I ride this bike hard for fitness not for a leisure commute. Comfortable, responsive, smooth shifting still after hammering for 3 plus years. Very good quality for entry level bike. Very satisfied Raleigh customer here. I thought about upgrading some parts but then I ask myself why because all the parts function smoothly as is.

Favorite Ride:   Riverfront Trail, St. Louis, Mo.

Purchased At:   Mineral Area Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2.2, I prefered the Raleigh even with the heavier fork over the 2.2. The 2.2 didn't seem as responsive and the handling was kind of stiff.

Bike Setup:   Sora shifters, 2200 series shimano deraileurs (work surprisingly good), Truvativ cranks, Alex wheels, Tektro brakes

Submitted by Marcus a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    VERY STURDY!
    VERY fair price.
    Nice all around bike.
    Comfortable saddle.

Weaknesses:    Touch heavy but expected at that price.

Bottom Line:
    I got into cycling for cardiovascular exercise after surviving cancer. This bike is everything you could ask for in a starter bike. Afforadable price, VERY sturdy to handle the initial crashes you will certainly have in getting used to the riding position of a road bike and clipless pedals. Good overall Shimano components which shift nicely compliment this bike nicely. Good tires and brakes for the price haven't had any problems stopping even in rainy weather. Has withstood numerous high speed crashes with minimal damage. Great beginner bike it has served me well. I've put tons of miles on it capable of 100 mile races easily it's not the bike it's the rider propelling it. If you become serious and dedicated upgrade to the TREK MADONE the world's best bike. Until then this bike will break you in wonderfully.

Favorite Ride:   Raleigh Sport Road Bike

Purchased At:   Bustleton Bikes

Submitted by lostcause89 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2008

Strengths:    Should be cheap and
    probably could go threw a brick wall.

Weaknesses:    Terrible handlebar mount.
    Heavy very heavy
    rear hub went bad after 4 months.

Bottom Line:
    My third road bike in 3 years. sigh
    I'm horrible at picking road bikes My first two were department store bikes. At $150 and $450
    This was the first bike that I've gotten from an LBS. Yeah they overcharged me and sold me a year old model. But whatever they're out to make money too. Anyway the bike is decent for commuting and what not but... I'm beginning to race for my college cycling club and well it just doesn't cut it any more. It is to heavy and has a very creaky headset, did I mention it was heavy 26lbs or there abouts.

Favorite Ride:   by the beach

Purchased At:   middle ring cycles

Similar Products Used:   GMC Denali (good for cost)
    Schwinn Varsity Carbon Fiber. (piece of crap)

Bike Setup:   mostly shimano 2200 pieces or equivalent. Sora Shifters

Submitted by Hermy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Really sturdy bike
    Great for beginners

Bottom Line:
    I got the 2008 model, the one that is in Team Yellow and can currently be found on the site. So far, it's been holding great for me. This was my first bike in 5 years, and despite quite a number of crashes during my early rides, the bike pulled through to me.

Though I've only been biking for 3 months recently, I think I've been doing decently. The longest single ride I did was about 120 miles with many hills, and I'm surprised that with stock components this bike was able to take me to Bear Moutain, upstate New York.

This bike is just simply fantastic. It's been with me for many experiences. I've had my fair share of crashes (including a head-on collision with my friend at 20 MPH) and the bike is still going on strong, with minor scratches. The wheels are only slightly out of true, which can easily be fixed.

In heavy rain, this bike performed well. Now, I'm not the most athletic guy, so I can't say how good this bike is at climbing since I tire easily, but this bike did it for me. Going downhill was also great, and I didn't die going maybe 60 MPH!

This is still my only bike, and I've never ridden anything on a higher tier. I can't really say how good of a climber this bike is, or how smooth the ride is since I have nothing to compare it to. All I know is that I've done great on this exceptional bike.

The bottom line is if you want to get into road biking, this is the bike for you.

Purchased At:   Roy's Sheepshead Cyc

Bike Setup:   Stock

Peugeot Super Sport

My brothers friend purchased it, but lives in another state...(Long story). He stated that it is a bit too small for him.....so I occasionally take it out for a spin. Needs new brake lines and cables, brake pads, handlebar tape. Aside from that it rolls great. Maybe a bit heavy compared to my T ... Read More »

Which bike to buy: Nishiki Maricopa or Motobecane Mirage Sport

Hello all, I am new to biking, and i was looking to purchase a road bike for just riding around occasionally for exercise or just going to ride on trails. Im thinking i wont be putting more than 500 miles a year or at max a 1000 on the bike. Therefore, im not looking to spend more than $500. I came ... Read More »

Going to look at a Schwinn Super Sport today.

[h=2][/h][COLOR=#333333][INDENT]I recently picked up a Raleigh form CL for $125. Great mechanical condition, loved the ride. It is my first ever road bike! I actually purchased the bike for my friend for a daily commuter to replace a faulty Target bicycle. I did not realize how much I would love th ... Read More »

Going to look at a Schwinn Super Sport today.

Moved Post To Retro Thread. [url=http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/going-look-schwinn-super-sport-today-329440-post4688729.html#post4688729]Going to look at a Schwinn Super Sport today.[/url]Read More »

My First Build: Panasonic Sport

Hi there I am new to the forums! I hope this is the correct place to post a build thread, if not mods please move. My goal is to become more familiar with road bikes, as cost effectively as possible while modernizing an old road frame- and most importantly, to learn and sharpen my skills. I purchase ... Read More »