Ridley Excalibur Road Bike

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Excalibur Frame is Ridley's carefully engineered Belgian warrior designed to punch over the most brutal cobble sections the Spring Classics can muster.

Submitted by ejprez a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2013

Strengths:    LIght, stiff, tire clearance and paint colors

Weaknesses:    A tad heavy frame, but still easily builds into a sub 16 bike

Bottom Line:
Probably one of the best frames I've had. My first ridley was a damocles and loved it, then switched to a S-works tarmac which was lighter but the front end was twitchier. The Excalibur rides like the damocles, solid front, feels stiff and actually lighter despite being not the lightest in it's class, but hey still great. What I love the most is the stays and fork clear 25's easily and I know it can handle 28's and will try that out soon enough. Really is the best bang for the buck for value and performance. I normally like white bikes but the Black and red Lotto just grabbed me.

Favorite Ride:   where ever the road goes

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Caad 8, fuji SL-1, Damocles, Tarmac SL3

Bike Setup:   Super record with 3 wheel sets, thomson cockpit, arione, speedplay zeros

Submitted by Bryin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, comfortable,light (relatively), durable

Weaknesses:    not much...

Bottom Line:
I ride a custom Moots Vamoots which is a crazy nice bike but wanted a "grip it and rip it" bike for sub 3 hour rides. This was frame was such a great deal I jumped on it. It is a rocket, with Ultegra 6700, DA c24 wheels it is 15.5 lbs with computer, cages and pedals. Ridley supposedly "over builds" the frames so they are super durable but I don't intend on crashing it to find out...
I have ridden a ton of nice bikes from a C50 to a Time VXR to a Madone 7 and this frame is the equal of any of them. Ridley does not get much press (probabbly from lack of advertising spending) in the mags but this bike just surprised me with how balanced it is- stiff but smooth... light but sturdy... Just a fantastic bike!!

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   you name it I have probably ridden it...

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6700/ DA c24 wheels/ FSA SLK stem and seatpost/ Bontrager bar and tires

Submitted by Vitix2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    stiffness combined with comfort; acceleration; ability to hold a line; steadiness at speed.

Weaknesses:    Nothing stood out. there was not one thing about it that I found offensive.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2009 Excalibur that I purchased new on ebay. I recently built it up using Campy Chorus 11, and have had a chance to put about 250 miles on it so far. The two things that stand out at initial inspection are its’ low weight and aesthetics. It is a good looking bike without being overly flashy. Add some loud wheels and it looks like it stepped off the pages of ‘Procycling’. Dress it down with a basic setup and wheels with conservative graphics, and you won’t raise any eyebrows at your club rides. It is also rather light. I’m not a gram counter and don’t know its’ claimed weight. However, one lift and the only conclusion that you can come too is that it feels darn light.

Despite its’ weight, on the road it tracked straight and was not bothered by rough surfaces or big jolts. Well, the stability was not compromised by big jolts, but you can definitely hear and feel them.

The bottom bracket is rock solid, the front end has supreme stiffness, and power transfer is excellent. All of this is accomplished while keeping me comfortable. My longest ride on it to date was 3 hours and I had no problems at all with comfort. There is something to be said about the thin seat stays. They really do seem to do a good job of offering the right amount of compliance in the right place.

The frame’s compact design is also a winner with me. This is my first compact frame, so I may just be learning what others already know, but it seemed that I was able to accelerate and really put the power down on climbs. I know stiffness has a lot to do with this, but having that back end tucked in under you cannot be overlooked.

While standing it climbed well, but it seemed to distinguish itself when going through the gears from the saddle. It was also very good at taking rolling hills and short power climbs. The combination of bottom bracket stiffness, a compact rear end, and the campy 11 drivetrain seemed to make powering over rollers in a seated position efficient and fast. The setup definitely rewarded sitting, clicking through 2 or 3 gears, and cresting rollers without losing too much momentum.

Handling is stable and predictable. My informal, riding with no hands test would lead me to characterize it as having a decent balance of stability and quick handling attributes. It is not twitchy at all, but not as stable as my Merckx, Pegoretti. That said, it holds a line well, did well in switchbacks, was nimble, and was not upset by having to change a line while in a turn. Put another way, it rails turns and does not mind getting aggressive. Yet, you don’t have to babysit the bars when just cruising along.

As I’ve read in some reviews, Ridley’s sizing is not typical. I’m 6’2”, typically ride 61 and 62cm frames. On the Ridley I ride a size large. This leaves plenty of seatpost exposed (which I kind of like), but provides me with a top tube length that is where I need it to be. So, I think that means they have long top tubes. My advice, match yourself to the top tube length when selecting a Ridley. And, don’t be afraid if this results in a shorter than optimal headtube length. The stiffness of the fork and front end means that having to slap a few headset spacers on is not going to compromise the ride.

Now, I just hope that it scores high in longevity. I’m a heavy rider (245Lbs.) and that is a concern for me with carbon. By the way, the Excalibur is ‘Big boy’ approved. It handles my size without a qualm.

Favorite Ride:   I Like em all

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R-800, Trek 5200,Pinarello Stelvio, Debernardi, Casati Gold Line, Eddy Merckx Premium, Pegoretti Marcelo

Bike Setup:   Campy 11
Selle An Atomica saddle
Thompson Elite seatpost
FSA Stem
Deda Newton Bar
Fulcrum Racing 3s & Campy Protons

Submitted by siladitya a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2010

Strengths:    Light, very responsive to the slightest power input, durable construction leading to excellent shock absorption and comfortable rides!

Weaknesses:    A double crankset on the climbs! It was something of a weakness for me and so I have now instead started using the double crankset as a training mechanism for that race day finish ;)

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2008 Ridley Excalibur with Shimano Dura Ace 7800 components! Boy oh boy, is this impressive or what :) Light, very responsive, stiff, and once you get the hang of it...it climbs like a cat! The build quality is spectacular and the bike is quite stiff and it almost mocks you to be as stiff as it is :P

Favorite Ride:   Any bike path

Bike Setup:   Shimano Dura Ace 7800, Mavic Cosmos wheelsets, Vittoria Open Corsa Evo Cx tyres, Mavic brakes, Thomson Seatpost

Submitted by paddlesurfer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    light
Excellent response
Great cornering and handling

Bottom Line:
2008 frame set built up with Shimano DA components. Awesome bike, light, stiff frame, yet responsive. Big BB helps transition pedal power to the wheel fast and strong. Comfortable for 125+ mile rides, but strong in crits and Road Races. Very confident feeling.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with hills

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Bike Setup:   Shimano DA front and back D's
FSA SL-K compact crank setup
Easton EA-90 Aero

Ridley Excalibur headset

Hello, Can someone tell me if the Ridley Excalibur takes a drop in or a press fit headset? Thanks in advance.Read More »

Riley Excalibur

Have been thinking about an "over the counter" carbon bike and really love the look of the Flandrian Excalibur that Competitive Cyclist has. The fit looks to be very close to what I am currently riding, with the exception of .5 degree difference in the STA. Anyone have any expierence with this f ... Read More »

new Ridly Excalibur VS new Aerocat 505.

which do you think is a better bike? same components on both of them...Read More »

Damocles vs. Excalibur

I've read all the reviews and posts about these two bikes, and both seem to be great rides. Besides having identical geometries, there seems to be a lot of overlap in these two frames. Two recurring, but debatable, differences are: 1) the Excal's fork is better 2) the Damocles has a stiffe ... Read More »

Ridley Excalibur $699 (was $1799) now through 8am Friday CST

[URL="http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=3294"]http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=3294[/URL] From the competitivecyclist.com web site: [I]"The Excalibur is Ridley's best-selling race frame for good reason -- many good reasons, in fact. ... Read More »