Ridley Helium Road Bike

• Handlebar: 4ZA Flyer
  • Fork: Helium full carbon monocoque

Submitted by Sterlin Smith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive, light, great climber and great acceleration...

Weaknesses:    Just a touch twitchy steering on decent.

Bottom Line:
Came from a very nice Giant Defy Advanced. Current ride is Ridley Helium with full SRAM Red group atop Mavic SCS Anniversary rims. What a ride! Fast all the time... and faster when needed. Super light but as stiff as a rail. Triangle is like a shock absorber. Just a little nervous in the front end on steep decents. Currently rolling on Continental Gator Skins... not really the best for this bike. Overall this is the nicest bike I've ever owned (and I've owned a ton). Great looking paint and I love the integrated mast. No reservations giving this bike two thumbs up... a great buy at nearly any price!

Favorite Ride:   Irvine to Solana Beach

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   SRAM Red. Mavic SCS Anniversary wheelset. Ritchey carbon stem and bars.

Submitted by JunkieJoe

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    It is incredibly light and stiff. Very responsive at both low speed and a good long high speed descent. The Flandrien paint scheme is understated.

Weaknesses:    My wife is quite upset that I'm gone more than usual out riding this thing. The integrated seat mast is a nice feature, but made me quite nervous having the BB to saddle height right before that hack saw came out.

Bottom Line:
I'm coming from a 20 year old steel Colnago with old 8sp Campy C Record, so to me this is light years different. My old bike is a cruiser, and apparently a very heavy cruiser. This new Ridley is just a bullet. I find it hilarious to ride. I've never really understood the idea that a bike could be zippy until I brought this one out for the first time. On my old bike, I could get the chain to rub the front derailleur when pounding up a climb, not on this one....it just goes. For the first few times of riding this thing, I kept having to check the tires. It was so smooth that I thought the tires were low, yet it just jumps when pedaling hard. The only way I can better describe the ride is when you ride the white line, everything smooths out. But on this bike, its always smooth. It amazes me how bikes nowadays can be exceptionally quick but so darn smooth at the same time. I really feel that after a 60 or 70 mile ride, I still have something left.

I have this bike set up with Campy Record (which I love), a great set of wheels from my LBS, michelin pro 4's. The wheels are White Industry Hubs with H Plus Son rims. The whole thing, for an XL size is just a hair over 16 lbs.

I'm not one to say this bike is better than anyone's ride, but rather that I am really pleased with the frame and the total build. It doesn't disappoint in any way. The engine on the other hand could use some work.

Submitted by Cameron

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    2012 Ridley Helium - Stiff, light and responsive. The best bike I have ever ridden.

Weaknesses:    None whats so ever.

Bottom Line:
I am currently riding the 2012 Helium with Dura Ace and a Zipp 808/404 combination. I can excellerate from 40km/h to 60km/h in a space of meters and every effort you put into your peddling, you get rewarded in speed and power.
Uphills are a breeze with power generated from the bottom bracket and down hills are safe, secure and directive. I have managed to hit 90km/h and never felt uneasy.
If you are looking for the best bike in the market thats super light and stiff, look no further than the Ridley Helium.

Submitted by Wayne Andrew

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Great geometry, soaks up the bumps in the back end and stiff everywhere else that matters. Great looking bike that turns heads.

Weaknesses:    Drive side chain stay / seat stay junction has worked under the paint after 12 months and cracked through the top coat of paint. Unsure of manufacturers warranty guarantee.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great frame that suits the weekend rider or racer.

Submitted by spiza a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2011

Strengths:    The bike is the lightest best all rounder ive ever had the pleasure of riding.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses its a weapon

Bottom Line:
Best bike ive ridden! super fast,smooth,comfortable,Looks sensational with the best finish to carbon ive seen. Its weighs in at 6.5kgs with sram group set and 404 Zipp tubulars sexy bike that always draws people commenting what a beautiful bike it is.

Favorite Ride:   Beach Rd, Melbourne