Ridley Noah Road Bike

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Mathematically, your odds in a solo breakaway aren't particularly favorable. The Ridley Noah is a carefully calculated equation designed to improve those odds. Incorporating a number of Ridley's FAST Concept technologies, the Noah has been tested to reduce power input needed by up to 15 watts in a 50km/h (just over 30 mp/h) breakaway. The less power you need to maintain your breakaway speeds, the greater your ability to conserve more energy to stay away from the field longer. That makes your odds for the top spot on the podium a little better.While most bicycle companies would be content to rely on their tubesets for an aerodynamic advantage, Ridley's research and development on their flagship Noah go far beyond tube shapes and bike geometries. The latest generation of Ridley's groundbreaking Noah shares the same proven aero features as its earlier iterations?including an aero downtube, internal cable routing, an aero seat tube that extends into an integrated seatmast, and a deep rear wheel cut-out. What sets the Noah apart from other aero bikes is its use of Ridley's R-Flow technology. As we all know by now, drag increases exponentially with airspeed, which means small changes to reduce your drag will have a disproportionately positive impact as your speed increases. R-Flow technology focuses on one specific issue of bicycle aerodynamics. According to Ridley, your wheels produce eight times more drag where they pass through your fork and seat stays due to the turbulence of the colliding air masses there. The Noah is built to minimize this drag thanks to its use of long, slotted airfoils built into both the fork legs and the seat stays. These airfoils redirect oncoming air away from the turbulent areas near the wheels.The story of the Noah doesn't stop at R-Flow. Ridley used oil mapping in the wind tunnel to isolate spots of turbulent airflow. And where structural limitations kept them from re-sculpting the frame, they applied a textured surface treatment for boundary layer control. Ridley calls it 'R-Surface,' also affectionately referred to as 'aero paint.' These thin strips of texture are amazing; they purposely trigger a known amount of turbulence that re-energizes lost boundary layers, ultimately re-establishing laminar flow and minimizing drag. In other words, they carefully create an airflow mess in order to make an unprecedented cleanliness. Airflow control is why you see vortex generators on aircraft wings, and why you see dimples on golf balls. And it's exactly what Ridley does with their R-Surface paint.The Ridley Noah comes in five sizes from X-Small to X-Large and is available Black/White/Red. Given its semi-compact geometry, we strongly suggest that you focus on the effective top tube length as you make a determination of the proper size. The Noah FB requires a press-fit BB30-compatible bottom bracket and a braze-on front derailleur. It includes a 120 gram seat clamp assembly that allows an 18mm range in saddle height and

Submitted by J.B.

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2012

Strengths:    Great looking bike, mine is the 2010 Katusha model. Ridley brand has been in the Pro scene for some time. Stiff and sprints well, solid racing bike. Second time I bought a Ridley.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, paid $2850 retails for $3450. Too much $ for made in Asia, but did not want to pay $5000 for the made in Italy tag. Wish it had the BB30 maybe in the future but not yet. It is a aero frame so 1200 grams is about right, it's not a climbing bike for sure. Built with Sram Red / all carbon wheels and still came in at 16.25 LBS. Some flaws in the paint work but minor, The R-flow tech sounds good, but the decals look like crap when they get dirty. ISP can be a problem for some. When building the bike I measured 6 times before I cut the excess off. Changing pedals/seat or shoes could be a problem with the ISP. Ridley gives you shims, but micro adjustment is gone. Resell value with cut ISP could bring problems.

Bottom Line:
OK, more weakness then strengths but I still gave it 4 stars. The bike is solid, rides great. Ridley made a great product , and a great looking product. Do your homework on the ISP, a factor that could be a pain if you do not get the measurement right,or if you want to sell your bike down the road.

Submitted by Nick7000 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    Very fast and responsive ! Looks great and descends with exceptional stability.

Weaknesses:    Very narrow clearance of the rear stays with respect to the wheels. Would not be able to ride the bike if a spoke was broken.

Bottom Line:
I have had the bike for 2 years now and have to say I still get a buzz out of riding it. I was never a good descender, but on this bike I have lost any fear I previously had. I have found it very comfortable and definitely the fastest bike I have ridden.

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo S2

Bike Setup:   DA 7900, fulcrum zero wheels, michelin pro3 tyres, cinelli ram handlebars

Submitted by basho a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2011

Strengths:    Quick on the flats. Comfortable. Excellent handling. Looks good. Rflow does do something.

Weaknesses:    Honestly, the BB is not stiff enough. There is energy lost going uphill. Its not heavy but it does not go up mountains fast like an R3 or a 595--with the same components, on the same climbs, the difference is obvious in 2 pedal strokes. the 595 finish is also superior. I liked ridley, and I want them to be great--but I love Look. And Im not sponsored or affiliated either-- they just build amazing bikes and I want people to know how good they are.

Bottom Line:
I like Ridley's products. I like the whole Belgian mystique--cobbles etc. I think they make good bikes, and I like the R flow concept.

My noah was a good bike. It was quick on flats, and it descended really well. The handling and balance was excellent. The R flow definitely worked at high speeds. The bike was surprisingly comfortable-- I was told it would be harsh, even by competitive cyclist, but I found it to be very smooth and compliant. I have one major critique of the Noah. It is not a good climber. The power transfer is just slightly sub par.

The bike I gave up for it was a cervelo R3, which is much much stiffer in the bottom, and much faster up a climb. From Day 1 on the noah, I looked forward to trading it in, because there are a lot of mountains where I live, and I need the bike to do its best at translating my effort into uphill motion-- its depressing otherwise. The noah did not excel in this department--its didn't suck, it just wasn't great. The Look 595 ultra I have replaced it with is far superior machine--it shoots up mountains and it cruises easily at high speed. It's magic. 6 stars to the Look.

So Ridley, I like you guys. I think Tom Boonen is cool. But it is NOT thefastestbikeintheworld.com. The fastest bike needs to go fast uphill as well. Sorry. It is a good, comfortable, fairly quick bike. But the Look is in another league. The noah also lacks the magic of the look--the x factor that makes you excited to climb aboard and go onwards.....

Favorite Ride:   Santa Monica Mtns

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Look 595 ultra. Look 496 tt. Ridley damocles. specialized s-works roubaix and tarmac E5. seven axiom race and axiom sg. basso gap columbus sl and scandium. schwinn paramount track '76. serotta legend ti. colnago c40.

Bike Setup:   Easton ec90 carbon tubulars. campy ergopower shifting. DA 7900 series compact cranks. selle smp. easton ec70 carbon bars.

Submitted by gb815 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Sprinting, sharp handling, rock solid feel.

Weaknesses:    none, but because of the quick handling you do have to pay a bit more attention on fast descents.

Bottom Line:
Bike is a 2009, not an option in the drop down menu. The previous reviewer summed up my feelings almost exactly. A fantastically stiff frame and the "fastest" bike i've ever ridden but somehow feels kind of wooden and souless. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the ride is all buisness. It's been a great crit bike with the high bottom bracket and steep head angle, drops right over in the corners and lets you keep on the gas. The integrated post isn't exactly uncomfortable but you do feel the rough roads after a long ride and big bumps do go striaght through you. It's a race bike, period.
Had my best season ever and few wins on this frame. Probably coincidence, but the thing does love to sprint. I'm 195lbs, a decent sprinter, and can get no noticaable flex out of the frame.

Favorite Ride:   Bo-fax climb

Purchased At:   A Bicycle Odyssey

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR, Willier Le Roi

Bike Setup:   Red group, Ritchey cockpit, reynolds SDV66 tubular wheels.

Submitted by biker58life a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Strengths:    gets things done! that aero thing really works at or above 30 MPH (you will feel it!), stiff and not bad at muting the road, climbs like a robot monkey (seriously), looks super sexy!

Weaknesses:    lacking in a bit a "feel", not a bad thing if all you want is getting 'er done, you will also need to find longer routes because the Noah will take care of whatever business you throw at her

Bottom Line:
My Ridley Noah is 2009. Bought on eBay, threw mix of 7800 with 7900 compact crank. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of this thing and it does go fast and unbelievably stable BUT, its attitude is definitely...how do I describe it...business-like. I rode my usual routes and I AM going faster because the routes takes less time and I feel less fatigued but it just feels like a German car...business-like. It's NOT a bad thing, but just business-like. I have a colnago President and the President feels lively. Now, lively is difficult to quantify but President just feels passionate. Ridley Noah is...business like. Again, not a bad thing! The President is more "fun" but the Noah gets it "done". Both are fun in their own ways. Just amazing how bikes can feel so different.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere with no traffic

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Versaille, Look 555, Scott Addict R2 R4 SL, Colnago President, Colnago Extreme Power, Cervelo R3

Bike Setup:   shimano 7800 with 7900 compact crank, shimano tubeless wheel/tires

Ridley Noah FB (FAST). I'm looking for reviews and input on it

searched google and all reviewers (3 of them) say it's very fast, very aero, very stiff. All raves, not much criticism. However, I want to hear it from the real folks, not reviewers who generally rave about anything. Specifically, I want to know if the stiffness is worth the discomfort ride. And ... Read More »

Noah build up question...questions

So I have a 2012 Noah on it's way. I have a pretty tight timeline for the build, so I am trying to head issues off before I start. It is coming from Competitive Cyclist, but I forgot to ask if they include a compression plug for the steerer tube, or the toss in a star nut. I am not a fan of the star ... Read More »

Ridley Noah sizing?

I'm looking to buy a Noah size M; I'm just short of 5'8". Would medium be too large? This important, because it has an integrated seatpostRead More »

Cervelo S2, Ridley Noah RS, Felt AR - comparative experience and analysis

If you've ridden at least two of these framesets for an extended period of time, NOT just riding around the parking lot or 1 day, then please compare and contrast performance such as climbing, sprinting, cornering, descending, sustained efforts on flat land, etc; and overall ride quality and durabil ... Read More »

Finally got Ridley Noah (with ENVE Smart 3.4 Clinchers) review done

And finally got it posted... [URL="http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2012/04/21/ridley-noah-review/"]Ridley Noah Review[/URL] [IMG]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5199/6953631480_2db409b22e.jpg[/IMG]Read More »