Ridley Orion Road Bike

The Ridley Orion 105 is an ideal ride for hardworking racers that need an upgrade, but dont want to blow the entirety of their savings on a frame, components, kit, and everything else that inevitably comes with those upgrades.

Submitted by john a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Value for money, stiffness, comfort and versatility

Weaknesses:    4za generic factory crap, but it cuts down on costs and allows for ugrading.

Bottom Line:
Got my Orion last year and haven't looked back. Best value ever in a road bike. I was saving money by buying it. All Ultegra 6700 apart from callipers and it's as tough as an old boot. I put a set of Ksyrium elites on mine and used it in an adventure race about 6 weeks after I got it. I weigh over 100kg and I took this bike over some very rough terrain during that race where you normally wouldn't dream of taking a road bike. I have difficulty climbing out of bed but being in the saddle on this bike all I want to do is look for mountains. I love my orion and know that when it comes to upgrading or replacing it I'm going to have a job doing so. This bike is excellent value, it's comfortable on long rides (60-100miles), and it moves like stink.

Favorite Ride:   ring of kerry, Ireland

Purchased At:   cyclesuperstore, dub

Similar Products Used:   Terry Dolan, ALluminio with CXP30's and full campag.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra6700 groupset apart from callipers which are v. Good 4za self centering cam breaks. 50-32 front chainset and 25-11 shimano 105 cassette. Standard bike as seen in shop apart from Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels.

Submitted by Alaska Mike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Strengths:    Value and versatility. I built up my own framesets, which allowed me to configure it to fit my body and intended uses. While it isn't the sexiest frameset on the market, it still inspires me to ride.

Weaknesses:    A touch on the heavy side, but I could stand to lose a few as well.

Bottom Line:
Actually, I have 2 of them- a 2009 and a 2010. Both are pretty much identical setups. The '09 is my commuting/training bike and the '10 is my race bike. I tried a lot of bikes before settling on the Orion. Bang for the buck, it's a very solid and versatile package. It's stiff enough for my bulk, doesn't beat me up on long rides, climbs better than I do, is stable on descents... pretty much a jack of all trades. Plus, it's Belgian, which evokes a Northern Classics vibe of cobbles, rain, and frittes. You could say I'm a fan.

Favorite Ride:   Something new

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   '07 BMC SL01 Roadracer
'06 Mercier Serpens

Bike Setup:   SRAM Rival, Easton EC90 seatpost, 3T ARX Pro Stem, EC90 handlebars, HED Kermesses

Submitted by jjschneider10 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    All the strengths of a good caron frame for less $$. Very comfortable ride. Does a great job absorbing the road.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Great all around road bike. I have been riding for over 20 years and have been on many bikes and for the money it has been a great bike. There are better carbon bikes out there but I have not been able to find a better bike for the money.

Favorite Ride:   King Ridge, Sonoma, CA

Bike Setup:   Fullcrum race 7 wheel set, Ultegra

Submitted by MH a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2008

Strengths:    Handsome, comfortable, light. Quick steering.

Weaknesses:    Quick steering may not be for everyone. There are lighter carbon frames as well, but you'll spend thousands more to shave off a few ounces.

Bottom Line:
Bike is actually 2008 model - pull down didn'y have this option.
A carbon bargain: A very nice frame. Alignment is spot on. Head tube is not too short and not too long, only needs a couple of 1 cm spacers. Suggested sizing on Ridley's website is spot on for me. Smooth ride that helps diminish vibrations one often gets on the chip sealed roads that are common where I live. It seems "stiff" enough to me (I can generate about 20 watts/kg power in a sprint, and despite this high number, I really don't seem to have any problems with frames (this one or others) being flexible - I think this is an overblown issue). Finish (white) is attractive.

One thing, however - this bike, at least in a small size, has lightening quick handling and steering response. If you tend to have a lot of upper body movement while you ride, or are not a competent bike handler, you may want a more stable bike.

Favorite Ride:   road without autos

Purchased At:   internet bike store

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Serottas, Waterfords, Litespeeds, lots of other bikes over the years.

Bike Setup:   Mix of Dura Ace 7800 and Ultegra SL.

Submitted by Andy Petersen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Strengths:    Climbs like a mountain goat. Stiff but still comfortable for long rides.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than I was hoping for but I don't really feel it when I'm riding.

Bottom Line:
I'll start by saying this is only my second road bike and my first carbon bike so I might not be the best person to write a review. I rode a few Tarmacs and Roubaixs around from the shop I use to work at but never really got a great feel for what these bikes are like in comparison. My first bike was a 2007 Specialized Allez Elite and I must say that the Ridley is a huge step above that bike, which it should be since it costs about three times as much. The Orion is just a great bike. From the first ride I could feel a huge difference in the bike. It feels so much stiffer and yet is more comfortable for long rides even on rough pavement, of which there is a lot in Idaho. It is so much faster when I really step on the pedals too. Climbing is amazing. The power is just instant and when I get up out of the saddle the effect is even more dramatic. The bike lurches forward with every pedal stroke. Everytime I get on the Orion I'm amazed at how nice it is to ride. On the scale it is a little heavier than I expected it to be at this price range but I think this is mainly due to the bottom end Ritchey cockpit that came on the bike which will be the first parts I upgrade. It's my first high end road bike but I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking at a bike in his price range. The components are great too especially the Fulcrum wheels which are a little heavier than the Mavic Ksyrium Equipes I put on my old bike but seem to roll faster and feel stiffer. My only complaint with them is the cheesy skewers that come with them. They are heavy and look and feel like the same ones that come on $400 mountain bikes. All in all it's a great bike. I can't wait to put many more miles on it since it is such a joy to ride.

Favorite Ride:   Whitepine Scenic Byway