Salsa Cycles Podio Road Bike

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

• Fork: Alpha Q GS10 with Carbon Steerer
  • Headset: Cane Creek S3, 1-1/8"
  • Stem: Moto Ace SUL, 31.8mm, 1-1/8"
  • Chainring: SRAM Rival, 34-50T
  • Chain: SRAM PC-1070, 10-Speed

Submitted by Scott Wilson a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Great handling, light, inexpensive, fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    Crappy stem, handlebars, seat, and seatpost. Not a good bike for the casual rider or commuting, this is a race bike.

Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, this is a %100 race bike. Very quick geometry but still stable at speed. Rides well in a pack but it's real specialty is in the corners where it feels balanced and planted. Don't listen to that hogwash about aluminum's harsh ride, I've done a few centuries w/ out problem and other podio riders have said the same. Salsa has weird sizing so give it a thorough test ride before you buy, and keep in mind that you might need to change the stem size.

Favorite Ride:   Iowa back roads

Purchased At:   World of Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Prestige, Trek 1000, Giant Defy 1, Trek Madone, Salsa Cassaroll

Bike Setup:   Thompson stem and post, Bont. RXL saddle, FSA short shallow bars, Look carbon pedals, Easton EA 90slx wheels, Sram Rival. 16.7 pounds in a 49cm (translates to 56cm).

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
If you are in the market for a Salsa Podio, do not wait until 2011. Just got an email from them that no Podio for 2011. See below for the email.

I am not sure if anyone has contacted you yet, so I apologize if this is a repeat. But I wanted to let you know that there are no plans for a 2011 Podio. The road market is something we will not be able to focus on in the coming year. Not to say that we will never do a road bike again……it just isn’t in the cards for now. Please let us know if you have any other questions, we will be happy to answer any of them.

Eric

www.salsacycles.com

Favorite Ride:   Page Mill out of Palo Alto

Submitted by Roelof a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Strengths:    - it feels stiff and reliable
- the size of the bike fits good with my body size
- I like the painting/coulour

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Great bike. It realy feels good, uphill, downhill and taking corners are easy.

I did the Marmotte 2010 and some other cyclo's with the bike and found it perfect to ride.

Favorite Ride:   Netherlands

Purchased At:   Cambria bikes

Similar Products Used:   Dean Vador - (still in use - not for sale!)

Bike Setup:   - Wheels - Dura Ace
- Tires - Conti Grand Prix
- Seat post, stern: Race Face
- Sadle - Sella Italia SLR
- Other: Shimano Ultegra 6700

Submitted by Jennifer L. a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, parts, price, great looking, comfortable

Bottom Line:
Note that this post is for the 2009 Podio.

This bike has definitely over delivered and exceeded all of my expectations. On paper the bike looked like it would be perfect for meeting all of my needs: light weight, nice parts, zippy yet comfortable, and affordable. I have had the bike for about 3 months and have logged in excess of 1,000 miles on it. I have had no problems whatsoever! The bike kicks when I stand up to accelerate, but it doesn't beat me up. I am a female rider weighing right around 120# so I had concerns about aluminum and carbon. The shifting has been crisp and I have not experienced any issues mentioned regarding the SRAM front derailleur being tough. This is a fantastic bike all around!

Favorite Ride:   MacArthur Blvd. to Potomac

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Breezer Venturi stocked with Dura Ace and American Classic Sprint 350s

Bike Setup:   Everything is stock except for the seatpost(Ritchey WCS), seat(San Marco Glamor for the ladies), and wheels(American Classic Sprint 350s)

Submitted by Victor R a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Looks. Price. Ride Quality. Weight. Looks.

Weaknesses:    Paint is beautiful but prone to scrapes and scuffs. Compact geometry takes a little getting used to.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely beautiful bike. Got it for a steal almost new on ebay, built it up with middle-of-the road parts and I couldn't be happier. My 49cm frame (56cm top-tube) weighs 18lbs and rides like a dream. stiff where it counts but very smooth. road buzz and bumps are exquisitely dampened.

Favorite Ride:   Paradise