Scattante R-660 Road Bike

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Lightweight aluminum frame with carbon seatstays and carbon fork offers a stiff, efficient ride with less vibration. Race-ready, Shimano Ultegra 10-speed components. TruVativ Rouleur cranks provide a super stiff and efficient ride. Dual pivot Tektro brakes give maximum stopping power with minimal effort.

Submitted by Jackie B a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Ultegra shifters and derailleurs, Ultegra brakes. Easton ultralight aluminum frame with carbon fork and seat stays. Good handling bike. Good value.

Weaknesses:    Supergo Ergo Bar not very Ergonomic. But the true weakness is Performance Bike Shops Service. No attention to fitting the bike, servicing the bike, etc. Tried several in the area and they are all pretty mediocre in Customer service and attention. Buy at Performance if you what you want. Then rely on your LBS to really fit you and set you up.

Bottom Line:
The Scattante R660 I bought came with Ultegra brakes, shifters and derailleurs. The Easton Ultralite frame is great with carbon stays, fork and seat post. Geometry is toward comfort rather than race. The Truvative crank is decent as are the Supergo Korso wheels, average components but all together this group makes for a very nice starter bike to get into some serious road riding. Over 1000 miles and the bike is still smooth. Great value and worthy of many miles.

Purchased At:   Performance, Fairfax

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Club, Masi, Schwinn.

Submitted by dvb12503 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Scattante R-570 in mid July - 2011. I had shopped around for various bikes and decided that I wanted something with the Shimano 105 components, but wasn’t willing to break the bank. The R-570 fit the bill and even came with the 105 peddles. I had been riding an older Raleigh steel frame and was concerned about making the jump to aluminum frame. This bike does have a carbon fork. The ride is fast and quiet.
I attempt to get out 3 – 4 times a week for a 20 – 30 mile ride. So far I’ve got 14 rides in for a total of 351 miles. The bike has performed well. There was a problem with one of the 105 peddles and the guys at Performance replaced it immediately.
A couple of minor items are, the bike has a triple Gossamer up front, a compact double might be better and the cheap plastic dirt guard on the rear cassette must be removed. Comparing this bike to friend’s rides, I feel that it was a good value and I very pleased with my purchase.

Favorite Ride:   Scattante R-570

Purchased At:   Performance Bike - H

Submitted by Dawn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    had about 8 flats in 2 weeks till I changes the tires out to gatorskins.
small frame--hard to fit water bottles in it. Scratces easily

Bottom Line:
I walked into performance wanting to look at a road bike. I had no clue what I was looking for and the guy said he had just the bike for me. It was on clearance and after a 2 minute test drive...I bought it. It's been a great bike, although I've replaced the handlebars (too wide), seat, wheelset and tires.

Favorite Ride:   Clean roads around Phx

Purchased At:   Perfomance Bike

Submitted by keyzerjf a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2009

Strengths:    Value, durability, great looks

Weaknesses:    cockpit components (excluding the shifters)

Bottom Line:
I have the 2008 Scattante 660 and am very satisfied. The ride on this frame can be a bit harsh, but it is stiff and responsive, which is great for racing, especially criteriums. The cockpit components suck, but you'll likely replace all of them anyway for sizing discrepancies. The Forte (Performance house brand) bars are especially crappy--they flex alot when climbing or sprinting, are heavy, have a strange ergo bend, and the bar tape felt crappy. But the Ultegra and 105 mix of components can be found nearly nowhere at this price point (~$1100). The A-Class (Alex) ALX-440SL wheels are actually decent--they have stayed true and are relatively lightweight (~1600g).

After upgrading nearly everything on this bike I'm ready to move on to a new frame, but this able steed has served me incredibly well in the last 5000+ miles I have owned it (1 year).

Favorite Ride:   anything in Chico, CA

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Submitted by goombot a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Light and stiff but still comfortable. Corners really well.

Great component set for the price.

Carbon fork and seatstays.

Did I mention the price?

Neutral white color won't offend anyone.

A great platform off the rack and for upgrading components as desired.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheelset is not spectacular but is in line with the bike's price point.

Stock tires puncture easily. Figure some kevlar/aramid tires into your purchase price.

Tektro brake pads wear quickly.

I'm happy with the FSA crank but if you want full Shimano then look elsewhere or upgrade.

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike after many years on a mountain/hybrid.

Light, snappy, and fast. Shimano 105/Ultegra drive train and shifters. Tektro brakes, FSA Energy crank.

Great component set for the price, and when they knocked another 15% off the price (one-day only New Years Day sale) I had no choice... they pulled the trigger for me and I couldn't be happier with this bike!

It climbs well enough but be prepared, this is not a compact double! If you need a granny gear you might consider the 560 with its triple chainrings.

Tektro brake pads wear quickly, but the brake calipers seem fine. Will replace pads with Shimano soon. Wheelset is kind of cheap but at this price who cares, if you're a wheel snob you don't want to pay extra for wheels you don't want. I haven't had any issues with the wheels and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Stock tires puncture easily, so figure a couple of Gatorskins into your purchase price.

Awesome value for the price. 5 for value, 4 overall because of the tires and brake pads.

Purchased At:   Performance