Schwinn Fastback Comp 27 Road Bike

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Frame Material: aluminum, butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Silver Ice
Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Reflex

Submitted by Amy a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
Just bought this 2006 FB used. Took it out for a couple 30 mile rides and absolutely love it. Awesome bike for $425! Bike rides uphill with ease. Cut 4 minutes off my 13 mile route when comparing to my trek ride. Why? don't know...seems to ride easier uphill, up and down shifting quicker and smoother. Overall love it.

Submitted by mitchell a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    light bike/easy on the up hills

Weaknesses:    tuning is a pain, very very touchy more so then any other bike i have used

Bottom Line:
I have a Schwinn Fastback Comp. and love it! i haven't had any trouble with it. its a light and strong bike that is an all round good bike

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Fastback (less carbon then the Schwinn Fastback Comp.)

Submitted by Steelerfan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2009

Strengths:    I've ridden the Fastback Comp over 1,000 miles in the last year without any issues at all. I will need to replace the chain and rear tire soon but that's expected.

Weaknesses:    I wish the brakes were a little better quality. I will probably replace the saddle at some point. It's not bad but could be better.

Bottom Line:
The Fastback Comp is an excellent entry level road bike. It meets my needs along with an excellent price. This is my first road bike and I couldn't be more pleased. It is much lighter 20lbs than my Trek 7.3FX flat bar road bike. The carbon fork and seat stays really smooth out the ride. My bike came with a triple and I'm glad. I don't have any trouble getting up hills and the components are fine for a entry level road bike. I have taken the Fastback Comp on club rides, charity rides,rides at parks and around my neighborhood. It has performed favorably.

Favorite Ride:   Poolesville, MD area

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes -

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7.3 FX - flat bar road bike

Bike Setup:   stock with Look Keo Classic pedals

Submitted by Ernest Tofani a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    It's a good looking bicycle, kicks tail, gives a lot of bang for the buck and pisses off a lot of snobs with much more expensive racing bikes.

Weaknesses:    In the Amazon ad,the color shown was a nicer, darker blue. I could live with the color it came with. The brakes need to be improved upon to slow it down faster at higher speeds (35-41 M.P.H.).

Bottom Line:
I bought the Fastback Comp as a leftover 2007 and got it for a great price. I purchased it about a month before the Tour of the Tucson Mountain ride and used it on the ride.
I was very impressed with it because I live in a very hilly area to train in and it has gearing for all kinds of elevations. It held up beautifully during the tour and I got a smug kick out of it as I did the majority of passing much more expensive bikes going up hills. I didn't use the front granny gear the whole tour and the 42 tooth middle chainwheel worked great on the hills. I'm 50 years young and got back into cycling last August. This bike helped me earn a Silver medal for the tour. I will be dropping about ten pounds so I can get a gold medal next time. Schwinn did their homework with this bike!

Favorite Ride:   Schwinn Fastback Comp

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Podium 1 with modified gears and spokes, Schwinn Varsity (Newer version).

Bike Setup:   I added a more comfortable racing seat.

Submitted by BmoreCyclist a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    component group, aluminum frame/carbon fork and seat stay combination

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike in December 2005 because I wanted to increase and improve my riding going forward and this bike has allowed me to do so very effectively. I have now ridden it for two full seasons and accumulated just over 6,700 miles without any major problems. I really enjoy riding this bike and it has provided some great road riding experiences under various riding conditions that include centuries, competitive group rides (30-50 miles), tough climbs (Skyline Drive) and challenging training rides. I ride with a group of riders that ride all of the top name bikes and are some very good experienced riders (former racers, international experience)and my Schwinn(combined with good personal conditioning) allows me to stay with the pack. This was the first bike I had purchased in nearly 20 years and after doing my research felt that the component package (Shimano 105 shifters, brakes, derailleurs) and carbon fork and seat stays were a great value for the money. The bike is equipped with a triple but I have never really used the small chain ring (even on tough climbs).

I grew up with Schwinn and it was really the only bike I had any recent experience riding. Even with all that I have learned technically about riding and bicycles these past two years, Schwinn is still my preference for a future purchase .

This is a great entry level bicycle that will provide great riding under any non-racing conditions.

Favorite Ride:   Butler Road