Schwinn Fastback Pro 27 Road Bike

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Frame Material: aluminum, butted
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Slate Gray Ice
Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Fusion

Submitted by gibsonra a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Strengths:    weight, components, comfort (slightly relaxed), nice looking. Mine is the black 05 model.

Weaknesses:    Parking lot affect. The name on the side gets some looks until you get moving. The chain stays get water inside if you ride in the rain. There is a small hole behind the bottom bracket that allows water to enter. It is not easy to get out. I upgraded the wheels very soon. I am glad I did. The handle bar tape started coming off the first ride. I didn't like the gear ratios. The crank is a 50,36. The cassette is an 11,23. That didn't make sense to me so I changed the cassette to a 12,27. I am glad I did.

Bottom Line:
I bought this because of price and components. You can't beat the package for the price. Even at full retail it is a good deal. I have found that I have no excuses on this bike. It performs like the bigger (more expensive) brands. I would buy it again for sure.

Purchased At:   Online. It's a 2005

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale road bikes and numerous mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the changed cassette and the wheel upgrade.

Submitted by Loren a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Strengths:    Makes you want to ride all day! Extremely well equipped for the money. Full ultegra, Truvativ Rouleur Carbon, come on! This thing even has an ultegra chain!

Weaknesses:    Makes you want to ride all day!
Maybe the wheelset. Aksiums may be heavy, but so am I, and I hear these things are tough. Paint isn't bad, but could be a bit better.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2006 fastback pro. I'm 5'8 with short legs, it's a medium, and I was surprised to find that the medium frame fit me as well as it did. The 56 cm top tube must not be a virtual measurement. Anyhoo, this bike is very comfortable, and pretty darn fast. I can't believe I got this much bike at this pricepoint. I mean, the cranks alone on this bike sell for 400 bucks at the shop. I have been riding mountain bikes, and had a flat bar roadbike, and I found this bike was extremely easy to get used to as far as riding position goes. The Fizik Arione is quite the saddle, I've been riding Brooks B17's, and this seems to be just as comfortable somehow. Very happy with my purchase, will write more as I get to know this bike better.

Favorite Ride:   The one where teenagers honk at me

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Felt SR91

Bike Setup:   Bone stock. But then again it's kind of hard to look at the bike that way, with all the sweetness everywhere you look.

Submitted by holeshot413 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2006

Strengths:    Price,
some good components
handling, its not twitchy but more stable

Weaknesses:    wheels

Bottom Line:
Bike is actually 06 model. Fits me great I'm 6'3". My 1st road bike after about 15 years on mountainbikes. Shifts perfect, I really like the new SDG saddle and post. Wheels suck though because they are heavy. I think I have lighter wheels on my mountain bikes. I'm getting some lighter wheels. I really like the bike though. Great bike that I can just detail out as I want.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere around Big Bear and Lake tahoe

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Mike Smith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    Comes stock with decent components, good bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    Saddle and post were replaced, the sm, md, lg sizes gives riders between sizes some difficulty. I actually bought a shorter stem to help me fit it a little better. The wheels are also very introductory.

Bottom Line:
I actually have a 2006 model, but I love the bike. It comes stock with some pretty nice components: Carbon fiber fork, 105 rear derailler, tiagra front with tiagra shifters. I have enjoyed riding this bike so far. I am new to road riding and actually am enjoying it more than mountain biking. Great buy for the money.

Favorite Ride:   Fastback 27

Purchased At:   Pacific Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000

Submitted by thechadb1977 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    price comparison to other brands stacks up well. also verry well bilt frame for a larger rider im 6'4" and 230 lbs.

Weaknesses:    stock rubber, stock saddle

Bottom Line:
This bike was purchased so that i could ride lon distances on the road. I am verry impresed with the bike its self. But the tires and stock seat had to be replaced. I got two flats within a hundred miles of owning the bike. I sense switched to continential tiers with a kevlar lineing in them. to aleaviat that problem it sense has helped and now handels and rides like a dream.

Favorite Ride:   specialized hardrock

Purchased At:   perfomance bicycle

Similar Products Used:   jamis, gt, novara,ect..

Bike Setup:   added gell saddle, gell tape and pads, new tiers