Schwinn Madison Road Bike

• Bars: Alloy 25.4mm clamp dia. 43cm width
  • Headset: VP A71 threadless

Submitted by Francois Poisson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Surprisingly quick and turns on a dime. Very nicely put together steel frame from Taiwan- very clean welds. Beautiful paint in baby blue. Very responsive ride.

Weaknesses:    Front handlebars and stem are pretty bad but I switched them out anyway.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike for its simplicity and honest value. After years of setting up retro ten speeds into single speeds and trying to get it perfect I just fell for this schwinnat first sight. It had the look and the color of the retro bikes while still designed to be modern and stylish.

Favorite Ride:   around the block (15 miles)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   1972 Schwinn Super Sport Single Speed conversion

Bike Setup:   Because of many broken bones in each arm I added a Ritchey stem and Nitto upright handlebars. Also Shimano SPD pedals.

Submitted by Ryan Keefe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    Feels great, quick handling, super smooth and quiet, simple to maintain. Fun!

Weaknesses:    Brakes are horrible. Saddle is horrible. Weight (who cares...).

Bottom Line:
I bought a Schwinn Madison from my LBS when they first came out to motivate myself to get back on a road bike after not having ridden one for several years. I have the white one, love the retro look. It's a little heavy but who cares? I don't notice the weight. The ride is very similar to my lugged steel Proteus / Yamaguchi from fifteen years ago - smooth and quiet. The stock brakes are worthless, dropped the rear altogether and installed a Ultegra front brake and Ultegra BR600 brake levers, immensely better. This is a great bike to get a workout and enjoy cycling on basically flat roads and paths. In my younger years I would have loved this bike in D.C. to outsprint the cabs from light to light!

Favorite Ride:   W&OD Trail

Bike Setup:   Added a straight blade carbon fork, a aero front wheel, Ultegra front brake and brake levers, egg beater pedals.

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!