Scott Addict R2 Road Bike

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

I bought a Scott Addict SL on eBay; Dura Ace, Shimano Scandium wheels, tubeless tires, Dura Ace crank. I was so impressed with Scott Addict that I decided to buy a brand new Addict. The local Scott bike shop Bike Religion set me up with a great deal on a 2008 R2 size small with the integrated seat post. At first, the R2 did not feel as light as the SL but I think that's because the crank; R2 came with 34/50 crank from Shimano's lower line (a 7950 compact crank is on order). I was also not impressed with the way it rode at first. Turned out the Mavic Premium wheel and the Hutchinson Tube tire package were the let down. I ordered the 2009 Shimano wh-7850 and with the tubeless tires, everything just fell in to place.

Last weekend, I rode 100 miles down to San Diego and the R2 performed flawlessly! The bike accelerated on flats with zero drama, easily keeping up with my stronger riding partner (I am 5'8" 200 lb, he is 6'1" 170 lb). On decents, I blew right past him hitting 42 mph and the bike was as stable as the living room couch. It was also easy to keep up with my riding buddy on the short hills, no matter how steep. Only the long uphill did I lag behind (it was hardly the R2's fault). I climbed the big hill setting my personal best record.

I didn't think it soaked up the bumps so well but I guess something's gotta give for the stiff frame, having said that, the bumps were never unbearable.

After riding both the SL and the R2, I must say the difference was quite small, perhaps due to they both having such similar components. the only big diff was really the integrated seat post. However, I can feel the integrated seat post made the handling of the R2 more surefooted; I was able to steer clear of many road debris with minimum input.

Can't wait for the new Shimano Dura Ace 7950 compact crank to get here.

Submitted by raimundospark

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    Many.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great all-round bike.

Submitted by Wipeout 2008 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, comfortable ride, great looks, good components, no upgrades needed.

Weaknesses:    None. Standard gearing real tought in the mountains.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike as I was looking for a dream bike. This bike was like it was made custom made for my 5'8" frame(perfect fit). 3rd ride was over 100km with out any comfort issues. Everything works great. Absolutely love this bike. Very light(15.5)lbs, Some might find it a bit a nervous ride. Take as bit of getting used too. Love it now. Feels fast like a sports car. Takes corners like there is no tomorrow. The bike begs you to lean more and more.

Did a ride in Cabot Trail Nova Scotia with lots of large mountains with switch backs. No one could keep up with me in the descents. It was the bike that made it so easy. It sticks like glue to the pavement. I love this bike so much that I think I am going back to now pick up a left over R3 with compact gearing for the mountains.

Favorite Ride:   Cabot Trail NS

Purchased At:   Pro X Sports

Similar Products Used:   Giant hybrid, KHS 720, Scott Plasma(modified into aero road bike).

Bike Setup:   Bone stock with standard gearing 53/39- 12/25.

Submitted by raaen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, components, looks.

Weaknesses:    None yet, but I hope the frame does not crack.

Bottom Line:
i have been riding since 1983 and this is the best bike I have ever owned. i expected it to be a dream on the ascents, but it is so rock solid on the decents and corners. It is comfortable on all day rides.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Cycle Therapy

Similar Products Used:   Colnago c-40, Eddy Merckx ti, K2 cross, K2 tt, Bianchi cross.

Bike Setup:   DA 10 7800, ritchey carbon bars, PRO stem, fizik saddle, Ksyrium ES, DA pedals.

Submitted by kcroadrider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Beautiful
Light
Responsive
Excellent stock set-up

Weaknesses:    Saddle is only so-so, according to my posterior

Bottom Line:
After many months of saving, a bit of pleading with the wife, and the impending arrival of Father's Day, I got my new baby from the LBS that sponsors our club. The baby is commonly known as the 2011 Scott Addict R2. Stock setup includes Ultegra components throughout, a Ritchey bar/stem combo, Ksyrium Elite wheels, Continental Ultra Race tires, and a Scott Road Pro SL saddle. Though I've raced a bit and continue to occasionally offer myself up as sacrificial pack fodder for club training races, I generally restrict myself to fast recreational riding. The new Addict has seen some of both, and performs splendidly all-round. Handling is crisp and precise, while not overly sensitive. The bike holds a line very well at speed through corners and when braking. It is more forgiving of road bumps and irregularities than my old steel LeMond Zurich. (Yes, I moved up a bit!) Importantly, though, it doesn't feel "squishy". It is plenty stiff for power transfer, though I'm not a sprinter-type and cannot really push that envelope. It loves to climb. At a shade more than sixteen pounds before the water bottles, it's wonderfully light, and responsive even going uphill. The current Ksyrium Elite wheels are an excellent choice; not helium-light, but a nice combo of light and sturdy. Finish is impeccable; the red and black scheme makes this one of the most beautiful rigs around. The only change I plan to make is a new saddle; the Scott Road Pro SL is proving a little harsh on my bum.

A great choice for racers, occasional or regular, and for those who enjoy riding fast and long.

Favorite Ride:   The next one

Similar Products Used:   LeMond Zurich (2001)

Bike Setup:   All stock: Ultegra components, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, Conti Ultra Race tires, Ritchey WCS Logic Curve bars and Axis 4 stem.

Non-stock: Pedals: Mavic Race Road

Submitted by sweetdaddy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Strengths:    Light, fast, stiff, carbon steer tube, smooth ride!

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2010 Addict R2 which is much changed from previous years. It's now their "mid tier" road race bike with HMX carbon frame,Shimano Ultegra spec components, Kyserium Elite wheels and a mix of Ritchey and Scott parts for the bars, stem, headset, seatpost, saddle etc.

What sets it apart from it's competitors in it's price range is the smooth ride while retaining plenty of lateral stiffness for climbing and sprinting (a poor man's Cervelo R3). It's not as harsh riding over small bumps as a Tarmac, nor as upright and indiffenent feeling as a Roubaix. I've owned mine for a month/750mi and it's equally at home for the after work 35mi boogie or the Saturday century without leaving you feeing beat up the next day.