Scott Addict R4 Road Bike

Product Overview (Identical Frame to Addict LTD)
With a frameset around 800 grams, the Addict R4 is a world class road bike frame built for attacking and rocketing uphill. Why is this bike so incredibly light? Utilizing a state of the art "Integrated Molding Process" (IMP) and a "Naked External Tubeset" (NET); Scott removed the cosmetic layer of carbon and shaved precious grams out of the entire frame. Despite its weight, the Addict Series is still stiff enough for powerful cyclist like David Millar. If you seriously want the lightest bike in the industry look no further than this pro caliber marvel of engineering. Features include:
- HMX Carbon Frame and Fork: The super high quality HMX carbon allows Scott to use minimal material and achieve outstanding performance in both stiffness and durability. More material is added in high stress areas and less material is used in areas designed to flex when dampening road vibration. In combination with IMP/NET, Scott has achieved all the essential characteristics of a world class road bike: lightweight, stiff, and responsive.
- Aggressive Road Race Geometry: The frame design allows the rider to get in the most powerful and efficient position possible.
- Integrated Carbon Seatpost: Results in a smooth frame-to-seat transition.
- Component Package: The Addict R4 wheels and components are designed for training and racing. For a "pure racing" set-up, please call Nytro for upgrades.

Characteristics
- Weight: 15.86lbs (as shown w/Scott Addict F4 Component Package)
- Color: White with Red and Black Accents
- Sizes(cm): XS/49, S/52, M/54, L56, XL/58, XXL/61 (all sizes 700c wheels)

Submitted by andylikesbikes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, handling, flex free & frame strength. Well over 7k mi. SOLID

Weaknesses:    Cable rub on frame. Not as sexy as the other two bikes considering. But a good looker.

Bottom Line:
Narrowed search down to 3 rigs. Scott Addict, Specialixed Roubaix & Colnago CLX. Chose the Addict. Tad concerned w/ the aggressive geometry. Flipped the stem and that was remedied. Climbs, descends, tracks, absorbs everthing excellent. Lunch time, commuting, group, all day rides no problem. Hit plenty of really rough roads, man hole covers, pot holes and this frame is solid. Still working on getting to full potential of this bike. Extremely satisfied. Awesome.

Favorite Ride:   Just about all of them

Purchased At:   Agoura Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Vitus & Specialized Allez Comp

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, Compact Crank, FSA compact bars, flipped stem upside down, Mavic Ksyrium ssl wheels, Conti 4000s tires, Specialized Toupe seat.

Submitted by yanick perreault a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, very strong, deliver the power on the road when you really push it hard. Absorbation of road vibration is very good, if not the best frame in the world...

Weaknesses:    None... i'm smiling when i read that on critic find it is too light...ask a proracer if it is too light... ask Cavendish if this frame is too light...it is perfect !

Bottom Line:
I have put 10 000km on this frame this year, road racing (i have paid full price for this bike) and trainning on all sort of road. Road in Quebec, Canada are very bad, this frame set is 'fantastic' on absorbing vibration, i have Easton Ec90SL and a set of DT Swiss with powertap for trainning. If you are able to put real watts on a bike, this frame is for you. It is very very stiff ans stable, i have try 40 different bike in my life, this is the best frameset and SRAM Rival is very good too for this price....

Favorite Ride:   Scott Addict R4

Purchased At:   Beausoleil

Similar Products Used:   Look 595, Argon 18 Gallium, Cervelo, many other

Bike Setup:   SRAM Rival, Easton Ec90sl wheelset...

Submitted by Richard Hislop a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Strengths:    Light frame , comfortable ride , but not too comfortable to feel like a soft tail.

Weaknesses:    Wheel set . I am planning to change my mavics expert , a bit to heavy for my liking

Bottom Line:
I was deliberating over wether I should sell my Specialized Roubaix , I eventually decided to let it go for the Scott Addict .I need something a bot more aggressive when it came to the geometry. I have no regrets ! The frame is a perfect blend for speed and comfort .Climbilg is a joy and it's snappy on accelerations. I was looking for a versatile bike to race and train the addict does it all .

Purchased At:   Quad

Bike Setup:   All Unterga components

Submitted by TucsonMTB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Great all round bike in handling, responsiveness, and comfort.

After about 300 miles in a little more than a week on this new bike, I hopped on one of my favorite, full Campy Super Record Classic bikes custom built in the 70's and equipped with high quality tubular tires. Other than missing the cushy handlebar tape, it did not feel much different from the Scott until I starting needing to shift in traffic. Unindexed downtube shifters don't make it after the incredibly reliable SRAM Rival group.

I'm a somewhat spoiled by great equipment in the past, but a little awed by how responsive and comfortable this Scott is.

Weaknesses:    The stock saddle is very pretty, but not much else. No surprise.

Bottom Line:
Great Scott! This is a 2009 Addict R4 left over that couldn't be passed up.

As an older road racer with several tubular-tired, full Campy classics, this is my first full carbon bike and my first road bike with modern shifters. My mountain bikes are state of the art and were my "road" bike of choice until this one, largely because of their index shifting and great gearing.

Last year, I bought my wife a Lemond Zurich and have been amazed at how well her Ultegra group works and how fast she can move on it. Hey, I'm originally a Campy snob. ;-)

This year it was my turn for a new bike and Paul at Oro Valley Bicycles hooked me up with an unbeatable deal on this 2009 left over. Don't let any of my Campy Super Record classic bikes know, but this is without a doubt the nicest bike I have ever riden.

The SRAM Rival group works perfectly. It's louder than Ultegra but just as reliable in operation. The stock saddle was NOT comfortable, but that's to be expected.

This bike begs to be ridden. So much so, that in celebration of Labor Day, I road more than 70 miles in five hours and loved almost every minute. Note: Climbing long 7% grades is not "fun" on any bike. But, the compact crank and 11-28 cassette make it a much like fun as possible, both up and down.

The ride feel is great. I did replace the stock Hutchinson's with Vittoria Open CX's to get as close to a tubular tire ride as possible, but anyone who feels that stiff bikes have to be harsh should try an Addict.

Favorite Ride:   Out Oracle Road to San Manuel

Purchased At:   Oro Valley Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Older, custom built road and track bikes mixed with an a few top line commercial offerings from Pogliaghi, Masi, and several excellent US bike builders mostly from the 80's and 90's when I had time to compete in USCF races.

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict R4 with compact crank and stock Mavic Equipe wheels. The stock tires and saddle are history.

Submitted by rkosai a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff and light but with good comfort. Also not quite as omnipresent as Specialized, Trek and Cervelo.

Weaknesses:    Cables are already running off the paint. Never a worry with brushed titanium.

Bottom Line:
This is for a 2008 model which I like the kit better vs the 2009. Having switched from an older Ti Litespeed, I've noticed a big improvement in frame stiffness, with less weight overall. I didn't think it would have a significant effect on my speed but on high effort sprints and climbs, this bike is noticeably faster. In fact the harder you press on the gas, the more it shines. In terms of stability, the front end steers fairly quick but it tracks straight and no wobbles on descents.

And the ride quality? Small high frequency chatter is nicely muted, comparable to my Litespeed. Large bumps/potholes do feel sharper but I wouldn't consider it harsh. The longest ride I've done so far is 5 hours and comfort was never an issue. I just switched out the Ksyrium Elites for Dura Ace carbon clinchers and the ride is much improved.

During my search, I test rode a Trek Madone, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Orca, and Cervelo RS. All the bikes are outstanding, but I loved the feel of Addict, fast and lively. The Cervelo would be my 2nd choice but I didn't like the upright geometry and a R3 would set me back over $1000 more.

Favorite Ride:   Nicasio to Marshall to Pt Reyes Station