Scott Addict Road Bike

Scott Addict

Submitted by biker59life a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2013

Strengths:    light, stiff, can handle all you got all day long for the rest of your life

Weaknesses:    very difficult to find a reason to pay more and buy another bike

Bottom Line:
I picked up my Scott Addict R2 in 2007. I was 220 pounds (5'8") and just divorced. It came with Shimano D/A 7800 and scandium tubeless wheels. Great set up. Fast forward to 2013 January, I have since lost 45 pounds, still divorced (happily), and gone thru 7-8 other bikes including expensive Italian, French, Belgium bikes. Ridden the best from Canada, USA and Asia (yeah yeah, I know most are Asian but you know what I mean). The Scott Addict R2 is still with me.

The R2 now has Shimano D/A Di2, Mavic Carbone Ultimate (after a long stint with D/A 7900 C24 TL wheels). The frame is still gorgeous and with minimal scratches. It has an aggressive stance and friends can't understand why this thing has stuck around so long and why I put expensive parts on a frame that seem so old and out of date.

R2 is a great frame.

Power gets put down right away. Things happens immediately. Descents are mesmerizing and climbs are...well, addictive. It's also light that I get wide eyed reactions out of fellow riders when they pick up my bike. This all with the old components.

The Di2 and Mavic Ultimate wheels transformed the bike into something ethereal! Now, I've never claimed that I out grew the old set up, as a matter of fact, the old set up could have kept up with me until I lose another 20 pounds. But to have those up grades is just what makes life that much sweeter. And it is amazingly sweet!

35 mile bike rides are now a non-event (35 miler never was a big deal but that's the longest I have gotten with the new set up so far). The same distance is covered in 1/3 less time. Hill climbs are transcending experiences. Flat roads get eaten with aplomb. I can't wait to take it on my annual century ride and I can't wait to drop another 20 pounds!

To be fair, I have never ridden an R1 or and RC. But the R2 can easily take me thru to AT LEAST a cat 2 racer. I know there are Scott Foil's in the offering but I am searching the world for an RC; I gotta know what the RC is like!

So..Yes, my R2 is an "old" frame but you know what...I love it.

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   D/A Di2, Mavic Carbone ultimate

Submitted by AB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Strengths:    Very light
Confident at all speeds
As stiff as you need it
Surprisingly comfortable ride (with current set up)

Weaknesses:    Only my own in buying a 54 instead of 56. I think it'd be even better handling if the front wheel was just a touch forward.

Bottom Line:
This is for the Addict R1. I upgraded from my old Trek 5900, and what an upgrade it is! The bike is very light, agile and responsive. There's only the tiniest of flex in the BB when really stomping it, otherwise the it's as stiff as anything. It makes the 5900 feel like a old steel framed thing. Climbing is much easier than on the Trek and decending is a breeze. It's direct, changes easily even mid turn and feels very stable at any speed (up to 80kph at least). Despite hearing many say it's a very stiff bike, I find it quite easy on the body. However, I do ride 45 deep carbon clinchers and have a carbon bar which addmitedly sheilds a fair bit of vibration. I also think the intergrated seat post also offers some dampening. With this set up I feel comfortable even after 10 hour rides.

Favorite Ride:   ACE 250

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5900 (harsher ride; Bontrager X-Lites)

Bike Setup:   Sram Red gruppo. 3T Arx team stem and Ergosum bars. Enve 45 carbon clinchers with Zipp hubs and Michelin Pro 3's + latex tubes.

Submitted by Sean a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive under power, Quick and confident steering, stiffness, stealth looks, light

Weaknesses:    May be too stiff for some who prefer a more "compliant" ride. Requires me to keep it clean since I now have a very nice rig!

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Scott Addict R1. I was riding and racing a CAA9 which was hard to give up after over 3 years. As you would suspect, the Scott is a definite upgrade. I test rode other carbon bikes (as is took them home and hammered the locals rides) and stayed with the CAAD 9 because I did not like the dead feel of most carbon bikes. I bought R1 frame without having ridden it, but after a lot of research. It was the right move for me. You get the companies best frame for thousands less than competitors top offering. It's light and retains and improves upon the stiffness I was used to on the CAAD. It takes some of the edge off the road but I still feel the road which I like. I would not describe it as plush, but I don't like that way those bikes feel when out of the saddle or spinning up quickly. I have a combo of different components from DA to SRAM force to Ultegra and with my Zipp tubalars the bike (Size L) comes in at 15 lbs exactly, so you can easily get this thing under 14 lbs.

Favorite Ride:   Key Biscayne

Purchased At:   Bike Tech Miami

Similar Products Used:   CAAD 9, Cervelo S2, BMC Pro Machine, S-Works

Bike Setup:   Rotor Crank with Quarq powermeter (FSA out ring), DA 7800 shifters and rear derailleur, SRAM Force front derailleur, FSA SLK carbon bars, FSA os-99 stem, Fizik saddles and carbon seatpost, Ultegra brakes, speedplay pedals, Mavic Ksyrium ELite (training wheels), Zipp 343 tubular setup (racing wheels), Easton EC 90 TT 90mm tubulars (race wheels), lizard skins handlebar tape.

Submitted by michaeld-c a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    Crazy light.
Stiff.
Lively.
Smooth.
Comfortable.
Stealthy looks.
Really good value at this price.

Weaknesses:    Bloody Cervelo R3SL riders always want to argue about whose is better... they are both awesome.

Bottom Line:
I have the Scott Addict SL. It's the best frame I've ever ridden (and I've scabbed rides on plenty of friend's high end bikes.) Size L (56cm) was 810g out of the box including the 2 derailleur hangers.

Couldn't believe something this light would be anything but a wet noodle. I'm 80-85kg and an athletic build. Laterally and torsionally it is the stiffest bike I've owned and amazingly it is quite vertically compliant. Almost feels like a steel bike when you hit small bumps. It has a little bit of spring to it but doesn't want to buck you off.

It is quite lively and lets through just enough road buzz to let you know what's going on underneath you.

It's been out for a fair while now and hasn't been improved upon. Pros are still riding them and winning plenty of races so it's more than enough bike for me.

Makes me wonder where the limits for CF frames are. This has got to be close.

Purchased At:   westbrookcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Owned - Cinelli X-Perience. Orbea Onix. Wilier Sestriere (Sc). Scott CR1 SL.

Ridden - Look 585 (similar), Cervelo R3 (similar), Time Edge Racer (slightly flexier), Colnago C50 (similar), Wilier Cento Uno (very similar), Cannondale System Six (stiffer / harsher).

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict SL, Chorus 11 spd, Neutron Ultras.

Submitted by Edster a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff but compliant for a carbon frame.
Right amount of road feel. I like the integrated seat mast

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
After almost a year on the Scott Addict R1, I am very pleased with it. The bike fits great and for a carbon frame it still has qualities of a Ti bike in terms of just the right amount of road feel. It's stiff, but it doesn't beat me up like my Orbea Opal did.

Favorite Ride:   Great Western (East San Diego)

Purchased At:   World Cycles, Spring