Scott CR1 Road Bike

4.72/5 (79 Reviews)

Scott CR1

Submitted by Ben Leim

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2015

Strengths:    comfortable, mostly sturdy, climbs well, light...

Weaknesses:    water bottle mounts, low-class service

Bottom Line:
What to say about this. It's great to ride. I bought the bare frameset in 2014 and built it up with my own components. I find it to be comfortable, stable, fairly fast, but I have had serious problems with the bottle bosses - first the ones on the seat tube were spinning in place then one of the downtube bosses pulled out of the frame leaving an enlarged hole. The vendor fixed the bike in each case. With the seat tube this was just replacement rivnuts and no issues. With the downtube it looked like DIY work with a carbon patch placed around the hole. Kind of bizarre to get that back! Wether it will hold up is anyone's guess...I suppose it is OK but it definitely reduced the bike's value. Its hard to understand why Scott would countenance such a repair and I was told that it was arranged in communication with Scott. Not a happy camper! At some point you just sigh and move on....

Submitted by Paul Cugno

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    price, climbing, flats, power distribution

Weaknesses:    Scott customer service leaves much to be desired

Bottom Line:
Flaking frame at the mounts and the crank. Front derailleur completely fell of my 2009 cr1 pro on my last ride. after my last tune up the tech warned me about this so i brought it up with Scott, brought it to REI, took pictures, found my original receipt. The tech at REI was awesome never charged me for removing the crank to take pictures. in the end scott offered next to nothing. A small discount on a frame replacement. Made me feel like I was trying to take advantage of them. Said the flaking was not an issue. Once i did the math and realized it would cost me about the same price of a new bike to outfit the new frame with components i just let it go. Sorry, but a bike that costs nearly 3k should last more than 5 years and i take care of my equipment. Ride about 2k miles per year. I have read a lot of stories about other manufacturers replacing frames without a hassle. I'm going with one of them for my next bike.

Submitted by Rob a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2014

Strengths:    Nimble, quick, smooth, light, nice color scheme

Weaknesses:    Seat

Bottom Line:
Very happy with the CR1, Climbs much better than my previous bike an Orbea. Haven't participated in a Tri yet this season (too early) but from what I've seen, this bike will be a huge upgrade.

Favorite Ride:   Austin Tri Rock

Purchased At:   E Bay

Similar Products Used:   Orbea

Bike Setup:   All stock, 105 Components, Cont 4000 tires

Submitted by Dylan Vang

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2013

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
Worst bike cracked the day I got it.

Submitted by Rich

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, responsive, all day comfort

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little too soft to some!

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2012 Scott CR1 Pro at the end of fall 2012 for a cost of $1,050 frameset only. I built it up with SRAM Red total weight of just over 15 lbs. I've owned many bikes over the years too many to count from Colnago C50 to S-Works Roubaix trying to find just the right fit and comfort. For me this IS that bike!! With the leaf spring style stays this bike is not overly stiff at all which some carbon can be nor is it too soft. At 145 lbs and looking for an all day ridding bike I am very pleased. I've rode over 1,400 miles since getting the bike late last year and I'm greatly looking forward to doing some Brevets this year.

Love this bike!!!!!