Scott CR1 Road Bike

4.77/5 (53 Reviews)

Scott CR1

Submitted by Snaildrake a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Quick, stable handling
Rival components, esp. levers and deraileurs
Same full-carbon frame and fork for all component levels except $6600 SL
Ksyrium Elite wheels - 1555 grams of smoooth

Weaknesses:    Riveted front deraileur hangar not pretty
3 year frame warranty - Cervelo and Giant offer lifetime warranties

Bottom Line:
2011 CR1 Elite with full Rival group. Elites have the same all-carbon frame, Ksyrium Elite wheels, and carbon seatpost as a CR1 Pro with Ultegra but at $500 and a half pound less, and the Elite is clearly the better-performing bike. The 2011 frame is the same design as the 2010: 890 gram frame, higher bar position, vertically compliant / horizontally stiff stays, round seat tube, full carbon fork, and replaceable deraileur hangar. Execution is better: the visible carbon wrap on the top tube behind the headtube is gone. The 2011 Elite color scheme is Super White: white seat, bars and stem to match the frame paint. Gleams like Mr. Clean.

I was looking for comfort because of chronic back problems. After riding the Roubaix and Felt Z, I thought I might have to accept slower handling. It was a happy surprise when the redesigned CR1 felt smooth, supple AND quick-handling. The CR1 has a short wheelbase (993mm in a 56cm) for an endurance bike, yet feels comfortable. After 150 miles, it descends well and shows confidence-inspiring stability pedaling through corners. I don't sprint, but the BB feels solid.

To me the quick handling, sub-16-pound weight, Rival group and Ksyrium wheels make the CR-1 a perfect entry level carbon racebike and the best bike I found under $2500. Most other bikes in this price range have Aksium wheels and 105 groups (the Synapse Carbon 4 has a Rival drivetrain). The CR1 Elite is as close as you'll get to a Cervelo RS for $1000 less - buy it if you love light, quick-handling bikes with racebike feel.

Favorite Ride:   US 85 north to Bernalillo, then out to Jemez Canyon Dam

Purchased At:   Cycle Cave, Albuquer

Similar Products Used:   2010 Cervelo RS, 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 2, 2009 Felt Z25, 2009 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2009 Specialized Roubaix Elite.
The Giant Defy Advanced is a solid value runner-up to the CR1 with a lifetime frame warranty.
A Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 has the stiffest frame and a Rival group.
The Felt Z5 is comfortable and handles better than a Roubaix.
The Roubaix Elite is comfy, stable, and slow.

Bike Setup:   12-23 Ultegra cluster, Vittoria Open Pave Evo CX tires, Selle San Marco Era saddle, Shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by Michael a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    light
fast
geo
not a trek

Weaknesses:    not an addict
geo
6700 is not DA

Bottom Line:
i had the chance to pick up the 2010 CR1 for a sweet deal so i jumped on it. this is my first full carbon roadie, and man is it funky. first of all, this is a great bike, scott really did a number by putting together an upright riding bike that is aggressive and responsive. i rode a madone with the performance fit, that bike rode kind of like wood. others have also said that the madone feels like a woodrow. the scott is quick, but the madone squirts. 6700 ultegra is cool, but not sram cool. love it or hate it, everything is a wash these days, chalk it up to fashion and Lances investment. maybe we should all stick to steel and campy. not sure if i bought the right size, still learning what fits. custom may be next. the scott frame will be up for sale soon. steel or ti? perhaps a Franco?

Favorite Ride:   33

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   insider deal

Similar Products Used:   6.9

Bike Setup:   fsa compact carbon bars
fatty 28t
keo
bonty RL 100

Submitted by David E Martin a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
This bike is all they say it is - absorbs shocks better than any of my other bikes (Giants, Canondale)

Purchased At:   Vertical Earth Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant TR2

Submitted by Big T a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    Speedy, forgiving, light, stiff, and a blast to ride.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2010 CR1 pro with 6700 Ultegra. The only thing I changed was the lame compact crank made for little girls. I went with the new Ultegra pedals for the reliability. Not sure what the old Cr1's rode like but the 2010 is svelt.

I am a big guy at 6'4" 215 lbs I tend to put alot of power down and wanted a bike that could be comfortable on long haul rides yet stiff enough to sprint and climb well. After one month I can safely say it does both very well and the bonus is I dont feel like I got beat by a cane when I get done.

I have done two centurys on this bike allready and its like the bike just disapeares underneath you. I have zero dissapointments with this bike. Plus its the lightest 61CM bike ive ever had weighing in at 17.08 lbs with pedals and cages.

Favorite Ride:   Tortilla Flats

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Roubaix, Tarmac, Madone. This is the only bike out of these with a carbon steer tube at the Ultegra level. Tarmac has the same geometry without the comfort. Roubaix was comfortable but not sporty enough due to the high headtube. The madone felt heavier and didnt have a carbon steer tube, nor did it feel as comfortable.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6700, specialized toupe saddle, Ultegra pedals, kyserium elite wheels.

Submitted by djtwom a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    light, seems, durable, no problems with it at all- fits very well. was on it all winter on a trainer, love riding this on the road- very responsive. New ultegra is very smooth very nice. Makes me want to ride more-

Weaknesses:    seat sucks, could be better looking overall- carbon overlaps don't look great, but the thing just works...

Bottom Line:
2010 model with ultegra- great bike very smooth and a nice riding position, not too upright not too aggressive. This bike is probably beyond my fitness and ability, but trying to grow into it. It just goes nicely, very stable.

Favorite Ride:   westport to saugatuck res

Purchased At:   ttraining

Similar Products Used:   lemond buenos aires
cannondale caad9

Bike Setup:   stock- mavic ksyrium, ultegra 6700.

Help me find 2010 or 2011 Scott CR1 SL 56 Frameset

After searching ebay for the past month I thought I'd try a forum hail mary. I am looking for a new or used frameset to swap out a 58. If anyone has one and is interested in selling please PM me. Any advice to locate one is also appreciated. Thanks, JoelRead More »

Is The CR1 a rough ride?

I'm replacing my Giant OCR2 after ten years...it's been a good bike...alum with a carbon fork that I've upgraded to mostly Ultegra an Williams's 30's. I'm looking at the CR1, Roubaix, Giant Defy Advanced and Domaine. Rode the Defy today. What I hear most often is the CR1 is the harshest of t ... Read More »

Force BB30 crank for my Scott CR1

I have a 2011 Scott CR1 Team with 105 cranks. I would like to get a Force BB30 crank. The CR1 has an internal Shamano BB7141 bottom bracket. Will the Rival with a new BB30 bottom bracket fit? the Sram version of the CR1 has BB30 so I am assuming it will work. Am I missing something? Thanks.Read More »

Scott CR1 damaged non-replaceable derailluer hanger fix.

I have fixed over a dozen Scott CR1 frames that had badly damaged non-replaceable derailleur hangers. I manufacture a CNC'd aluminum hanger that is held on to the dropout with two screws, after a portion of the damaged hanger is cut off. Repaired frames have been in use for years with no problems. S ... Read More »

CR1 Campy BB86 installation question

Just bought a CR1 frameset and am running Campagnolo. I also purchased the BB86 cups, but was wondering how people have installed theirs - dry or using something like Loctite 641? Thanks!Read More »