Scott Speedster Road Bike

• Shimano 105 12-25 cassette
  • Scott Road Drop OS Anatomic 30.8 mm handlebar

Submitted by Buildingmaint

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth riding, fast, clean looks.

Weaknesses:    Saddle ,

Bottom Line:
My bike is a 2013 Speedster 20, first road bike, so I have no other bike to compare it to. My old bike is a flat bar , triple chain ring 52-39-30. The Speedster came with a double front chain ring 50-34, it is way easier to spin the pedals then my old bike, but I do miss the 52 tooth big ring. Over all I love this bike. Need to change the saddle , and will change the rubber to Gator skins next year. Having some problems dialing in the front derailleur , and I get a lot of chain clatter in the bigger rear gears. It climbs well , didn't think I would be able to climb well with the gear ratio , but have had no problems .

Submitted by gnimedez

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    performance are great and light

Weaknesses:    speed

Bottom Line:
it has a good look racer bike light to carry on and pedaling on the road and the combo components that mix with carbon fork and alloy body ..i have the little older Scott that i bought 2006 until now i'm riding it it is really great,...have a fun ride on the road..!

Submitted by Gill a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Strengths:    Price, value for component structure. Shimano 105 at this price range is great.

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy on the frame and Wheelset not the greatest but expected at this price.

Bottom Line:
First thing I did was switch the saddle to a Stella as the one with the bike was not comfortable. I expected the bike to do the cost cutting at the 1400 price range with regards to the saddle, wheelset and tires which they did. I replaced all three and the bike is top notch now. If you want a starter bike that you can upgrade to a great bike this is the one to get.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubeux

Bike Setup:   Switched tires to Continental All Seasons and to a Stella saddle. Also switched to a high end Dura Ace Wheelset. With the upgrades I made on this bike it is worth about 3000 now.

Submitted by Dusty Bottoms a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome frame. Perfectly good component group (Tiagra shifters, 105 RD). B/T/W, your components are only as good as your mechanical ability. I have seen bikes running much nicer stuff that are obviously in need of help / don't shift well at all. That makes me a sad panda. I fuss over the drive train regularly and it shifts like a Ferrari.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are heavy (2200 grams w/ skewers!) and the spoke tensions sound very inconsistent. Still true though (?)

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to give props to Scott for building a very good little road bike. I bought the speedster s30 (54cm medium, I'm 5'9", 155lbs) after getting hooked on road rides as a way to improve my endurance for mountain biking. Unexpectedly I got totally hooked to road rides in the process, preferably with fast groups that push my limits. For the price I paid this bike cannot be beat, at least in the new market. It was easy to finish the build, although I have some experience at this sort of thing with building mountain bikes, wheels too. People that spend time analyzing new bikes and comparing prices usually find that different bikes have things which are of greater emphasis than others. In this bike's case, it has got to be the frame, which is 7005 series hydroformed aluminum. The frame is outstanding, very stiff and efficient but not painful to ride. I came off a chromo steel frame and the scott feels just as compliant over bumps, but with better power transfer. As the frame is the bike's strong suit, the wheels (Alex Race 28 rims) are probably, well, you'll want to replace them if you're serious about cycling. Most roadies use aftermarket wheels anyway though. Oh, and the stem was a 110mm which is going to be too long for most, myself included. The only thing I don't actually like about the bike is that the seat post size is a 31.6 which is not nearly as compliant as a 27.2. And the stock saddle gave me problems, so I replaced it. The 2010 seems like a good model year. Provided you get the correct size you will almost certainly be happy!

Favorite Ride:   M-22

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   2002 Fuji Finest, 1989 Trek 330

Bike Setup:   All stock except 90mm Easton EA70 stem, Oval saddle, Kenda Kaliente folding tires (lighter and roll faster). 20lbs.

Submitted by Adam a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth, stiff, and fast ride. 105 groupset. Lightweight for aluminum.

Weaknesses:    Triple crank (if you never use the smallest chainring it just adds weight), somewhat heavy wheels.

Bottom Line:
I found this bike by chance through craigslist. My old Specialized Allez Elite was blown away in a tornado so I needed a replacement. It had exactly what I was looking for, a Shimano 105 groupset, and fairly lightweight. The former owner made an upgrade to the handlebars. A nice set of Bontrager Blade RXL carbon. Very nice.

As for the ride, it is much smoother than my old bike, and fast! I was having to slow down on group rides to let others catch up. While they were pedaling I was coasting. Great hubs, smooth shifting. I did upgrade the tires and will soon upgrade the wheels to some lighter aeros. I also didn't like the triple crank. I will soon be going to a compact double as I never use the smallest chainring ever. All in all, an amazing bike for the relatively low price.

Favorite Ride:   Any day with good weather.

Similar Products Used:   2007 Specialized Allez Elite

Bike Setup:   Currently:
Shimano 105 Groupset, Bontrager Blade RXL carbon handlebars, Fizik Aliante Gamma saddle, and Continental GatorSkins 700c x 25c tires.

2013 Scott Speedster 20

Wanted a new bike , a true all road bike. So I purchased a 2013 Scott Speedster 20, got a good price , went to clipless pedals. Have fallen over 4 times due to not being used to the pedals, but getting better. Had to replace the stock saddle with a Selle SMP TRK. It is the same saddle on my old bike ... Read More »

Cannondale Quick SL 3 VS. Scott Speedster 50 2013

I've never owned a road bike before but it's something I've recently became interested in. I've narrowed it down to these two bikes. Any input would be greatly appreciated because I am new to this. I don't really know what I'm looking at. Thank you. [URL="http://www.rei.com/product/844760/cannondal ... Read More »

Fuji Roubaix 1.0 vs Scott (Speedster?)

I was in an accident with a van and am looking to replace my old Giant OCR-1. I have around $900, and found a NOS Roubaix 1.0 with a 105 drive train at one LBS and and a Stott with Tiagra for $150 less at another. Test rides are next weekend and all things being equal I will probably get the Fuji. ... Read More »

Darn it: Stolen Scott S50 Speedster size Large

My friend's Scott S50 Speedster was stolen from his garage two nights ago. It's a size L/58, and is completely stock other than a set of multi-shoe M324 (1/2spd, 1/2 platform) pedals. [IMG]http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/221/221900_14825_png_raw_1.jpg[/IMG] Thanks for keeping an eye open.Read More »

Scott Speedster LTD...

I have a 2010 Scott Speedster LTD that I'm looking to sell. Full Ultegra components with the exception of the rear derailleur which is a Shimano 105. I have looked around to see what I can advertise it for, but haven't had any luck. Anyone have a ballpark idea on what I could ask for it?Read More »