Scott Speedster Road Bike

• Seatpost: Scott Alloy 31.6mm
  • Chain: Shimano CN-HG53

Submitted by Mohner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2013

Strengths:    Super-damp frame, very stiff, great looks, great value

Weaknesses:    Front shifter, front wheel, 9-speed only

Bottom Line:
This review is for the newest 2013 model, with the seriously hydroformed tubes.

The first thing you'll notice on this bike is the really aggressive, and expensive-looking, hydroformed tubes and the super-thin bladed carbon fork. It looks almost like one of Scott's high-end Foils. Looks aside, the frame and fork combination makes this the most "damp" aluminum frame I've ever been on, and by MILES at that. It feels like a stiff carbon frame. It sucks up even the worst chip seal vibrations and cracked pavement. It's very impressive. It does not have that classic aluminum "rattle".

The frame is very stiff, with nearly no drive-train flex. Off the top of my head, I'd credit the oversized rear-triangle tubes, and the octalink crank.

The frame's geometry is kind of a mid-point between a pure race geometry (Felt F85 for a direct equivalent), and a performance touring road bike (Giant Defy/OCR).

The component group is half-Tiagra, half-Sora, with Sora shifters (just fine), Tiagra RD (just fine), and Sora front derailleur (not so fine, but serviceable). The front wheel is a straight pull Syncros, and it could be stiffer -- it'll wobble a bit through hard corners, and if you swap in a stiff front wheel from another bike, you'll notice the frame just rails the corners, because it's front headset/top-tube assembly is just ENORMOUS, and very stiff.

The bike is 9-speed, not 10, but I've never cared about that. The brakes are run-of-the-mill dual-pivot Tektros. They look good, and are stronger than I remember Tektros being, but nowhere near Shimano 105 or Ultegra stopping power.

The seat is a Syncros. It looks nice, has a modern design and a great cradle system that allows for micro-adjustment of saddle pitch. It could be a bit firmer for my taste, but saddles are definitely a personal preference component.

Overall, this is an amazing frame and fork with a value component group. If this is the price point you want, and you want a performance road bike, this is your bike.

Favorite Ride:   Scarborough, ME to Freeport, ME

Purchased At:   LL Bean - Freeport

Similar Products Used:   Giant OCR1, Specialized Allez Comp, Giant TCR2

Bike Setup:   Stock with 50/34 compact gearing.

Submitted by JustJustin

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    strong, dependable, training road bike

Weaknesses:    Scott seats need to go 1st thing

Bottom Line:
was getting back into riding after 30 yrs so wanted a good road bike .. bought this new from Sun&Ski, Frisco, Tx .. took longer to get then they promised, but well worth the wait. this bike had over 4000 miles on it .. did do some upgrades to suit me, like tri-bars & shifters + changed out crank to 52/38/30 for faster rides & replaced seat to something more comfortable for my 60-80 mile weekend rides .. no problem with this bike at all. I ride it 4-5 days a week as my training bike then change to 1 of my other faster, lighter bikes for club rides on weekend. But when I need something to climb long high mountains I always take the S40

Submitted by Adrian

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2012

Strengths:    light
responsive
cheap with good parts
looks good

Weaknesses:    minor cosmetic issues

Bottom Line:
I'm tentatively giving this bike a 5 because I just got it yesterday. I got the '09 model from jensonusa. Basically, they had this as a showroom bike for the last couple years and put it up on sale for $500. I had been looking for a road bike for 4 months now, and after exhausting research at both lbs's and online, I pulled the trigger on this particular s40. The bike is pretty much new, having been ridden through their parking lot a couple times. The only cosmetic "unpleasantries" were the white seat and the white bartape were slightly discolored. Whoopty do. right? The bike has full Tiagra components, unlike the newer models that come with sora shifters/FD and after tinkering with the seat post height and seat positioning I took it out for a ride and lo and behold it rides like a dream. My lower back has been hurting for the last couple months, so I didn't want to push it too far and only went for about 8 miles, which took about 30 minutes. The nice part was that the derailleurs were already adjusted and were shifting smoothly throughout the entire ride. If they need adjustement in the future, youtube is there to help so I'm not really worried.
The bike is very light (I have the 52 cm model, and without pedals it weighed in at 21.2 lbs on my scale) and very stiff, which makes acceleration and overall responsiveness top notch (I only have a GMC denali which I used in college for comparison, but I'm guessing within it's category of entry to mid-range bikes to be up there with the best of them). I averaged 16 mph during that ride almost effortlessly, and I haven't ridden a bike in almost a year.
So to recap, I paid 500 dollars for basically a brand new bike with full tiagra components and carbon forks. Even the guy at my lbs told me that was a really good deal, that their shop usually sells a bike like mine in the 1200-1500 range. I am looking forward to years of fun riding this bike

Submitted by ateebtk a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Affordable
Good components for price
Light Weight = Snappy handling

Weaknesses:    Nothing.

Bottom Line:
This is a great introductory road bike for someone looking for a road bike. It is a 9 speed, relatively light weight bike. So far I have '0' problems with it and I love riding it. It is very fast and can handle steep downhills very well. I am confidently ride ~25-30 mph downhill and the bike still feels stable. The light weight of the bike makes it really easy (and fun!) to have fast starts/sprints. Frame is well built and I have no major complaints. It also has descent components (Tiagra) which are more the fine for the recreational rider like myself.

Favorite Ride:   2008 Scott Speedster S40

Purchased At:   Craiglist - private

Similar Products Used:   None... 1st road bike. Test road Specialized Allez, double/ triple at Local Bike shop but didn't want to shell out close to a grand for my 1st road bike.

Bike Setup:   All stock components. Cateye Micro Wireless computer, Niterider Mini Cordless Light 150 lumen. Bontraigger bottle carriage, and bottle.

Submitted by Jeff a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    Good acceleration
Stiff frame
Comfortable ride
Looks good,

Weaknesses:    Changed the saddle as couldnt get comfortable no matter what way I positioned it.

Bottom Line:
Having bought the bike last year to train and compete in an Ironman the bike lived up to all my expectations and more, Gears, Brakes, Tires the lot worked a charm. after almost 1,800km on the road i haven't had a single problem. fingers crossed :)

Favorite Ride:   Scott Speedster S40 2010

Purchased At:   Intersport

Bike Setup:   Basic factory parts, Sora / Tiagra gears, Alex rims

ADVICE Scott Speedster or Lappiere?

[COLOR=#333333]Hello good folks! This is my first post here, and I seek your infinite wisdom. [/COLOR][IMG]http://ficdn.roadbikereview.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] [COLOR=#333333]Anyway, after racing mountain bikes for quite some years now, I've decided to try out something new, so I'm lookin ... Read More »

Scott speedster 50 or Fuji Sportif 1.5

Hi! I have been away from biking and need some help on two bikes I'm considering, both are 2013 models. Could someone do me a big favor and do a quick compare on these two and tell me if there's much practical difference? I will be recreational riding only, occasional hills. Thanks!Read More »

?? SCOTT Speedster 30 vs Specialized Secteur Sport

Hello all! So, I've been researching my new bike purchase for about a year - and I'm down to two choices. The information on Road Bikes Review has been amazing - and I'm thankful for this community. I'm pinched between a 2013 Scott Speedster 30 and a 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport. Sadly, they ... Read More »

Any opinions on a 2013 Scott Speedster 50

My lbs is selling the 2013 Scott Speedster S50 with the Sora group for $699 to make room for the 2014's. I realize this is entry level but I'm ok with that at this point. My dilemma is getting the right size. He only has 58 left over and at 6' with a 34 bike inseam he believes it would be the rig ... Read More »

2013 Scott Speedster 20

Wanted a new bike , a true all road bike. So I purchased a 2013 Scott Speedster 20, got a good price , went to clipless pedals. Have fallen over 4 times due to not being used to the pedals, but getting better. Had to replace the stock saddle with a Selle SMP TRK. It is the same saddle on my old bike ... Read More »