Specialized Allez Double Road Bike

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

• Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum frame
  • Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, fully manipulated tubing
  • Specialized Sport, 3D forged alloy
  • Specialized carbon fork, carbon fiber legs, aluminum steerer
  • Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur, short cage

Submitted by Louie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    Fairly light weight for the price, maybe one of the lightest entry-level bikes out there. Stiff, barely any BB flex at all. Precise handling, it goes where I say it goes, without argument. The matte-black murdered-out look is awesome (this is a 2009 feature only, I think). Spec. Comp handlebars offer plenty of places where to put your hands. Carbon fork does soak up bumps without making for mushy steering feel. Terrific build quality at the price. Filleted welds where you can see, unfinished where you can't. Classy graphics, reminds me a bit of old Hetchin's bikes. These are stenciled paint, not decals!

Weaknesses:    Seatpost looks like carbon but it's really aluminum tarted up to look like carbon. The tires, people think being slicks is dangerous -- they're not. You sitting on the bike weigh so much, and the tires are so skinny, that you won't hydroplane. Just brake before the corner and you'll be OK. The tires are on the heavy side, and don't offer kevlar belt protection, so plan for flats (i've yet to have a flat on mine but carry full flat kit out of habit no matter what tires I have). Rims are heavy, too.. But honestly, for fitness riding who really cares? The brake pads need a about a hundred miles of riding before they "bite" well -- maybe it's the rims that need it. Bottom line -- after about 100-150 miles, the brakes bite well. I won't upgrade anything on this bike until it wears out or breaks. The tires will be the first to go -- I really do want kevlar belts. This is more for convenience - having to break down a wheel and fix a flat on the road is misery. Another letdown are the pedals -- I needed 1/2 inch longer clips, so I swapped for Wellgo mtb pedals with longer clips.

Bottom Line:
Can't go wrong with this bike. Fast, agile, fairly light, and even with the stock Tiagra / Sora groupset, it's still very usable for fitness riding. Comfortable once properly dialed in. It's no posh steel ride, but it's not going to rattle your teeth out either. Perfect bike for fitness riding on a low budget. It's fast, even! Little energy wasted. When the stock groupset wears out, just update it to 105, but don't bother before it does wear out. Why waste your money? The saddle's OK if you're used to riding. If not, like any saddle, it'll be a bother till both the saddle and you break in. Just make SURE you know how to set up a bike. Many people blame the saddle, bars bike for what really are setup issues.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Generation,

Similar Products Used:   22 inch Schwinn 1987 Traveler, 56cm 1989 Peugeot (forgot model), 55cm Bianchi 1995 Premio.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Alex s500 wheels, Mondo Sport tires, planetbike superflash stealth tail and 1w blaze headlight, adjustabell bell, edge 305 gps computer, specialized wedgie saddle bag with 2 co2 carts and glue patchkit, one fresh tube, and a park multitool. Planetbike bottle cage. 3rd-eye bar-end 3" convex glass mirror on left bar end.

Submitted by Budweiser a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2011

Strengths:    -This bike can be used for either training or entry level racing.
-Mine came in a sporty red paint scheme with black components and wheels.
-The bike is comfortable and light. I feel more confident every ride.
-No Buyer's Remorse in terms of price or design.
-Upgradable within reason (To me 105 is the absolute limit)

Weaknesses:    -The bike almost feels a little too plush.
-The Specialized brand tires aren't bad, but they're definitely going away. They don't give good feedback (maybe that's the point)

Bottom Line:
This actually for the 2011 Allez Double with A1 frame and FACT carbon fork. I bought this bike mainly for exercise and unwinding after work, but will be entering a couple of biathons with it. I noticed bike has a serious redesign from 2010 that includes some older Tarmac technology. The top tube is distinctively wide and curved down, the seat post tube actually turns more square as it meet the BB, and the chainstays are curved while the seatstays are straight. As this is an entry level bike it comes with the base model Shimano 2300 9-speed with STI shifters. The brakes look like some type of no-name component, but they have a quick release and seem to work OK. The wheels are Mavic and the tires are Specialized brand. So far I've found this bike to ride and function well. The ride is comfortable on even the worst NYC surfaces. The 2300 shifts decently and is all most rec riders need, but I will eventually upgrade to the 105 group because I like the upgraded ergonomics and design of the 5700 STI more. Overall, the bike feels light and confident. I looked at comparably price bikes and it just seems like the manufacturer was doing something screwy with the components. The Allez Double is straightforward in set up in my opinion.

Favorite Ride:   Most anything without cars.

Purchased At:   Gotham Bikes

Similar Products Used:   KHS, GT

Bike Setup:   Stock w bottle cage and SPD pedals

Submitted by streetcop a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    Seems durable...I've tipped over a couple times (darn pedals), and endoed once. No damage to speak of, nothing knocked out of whack.

Weaknesses:    Original brakes were ok (I didn't know any better), but i found a vast improvement when I put Dura-Ace pads on at 2300miles.

Bottom Line:
2008 Allez Double. I've ridden the bike nearly 3,000 miles in three summers. No troubles, no complaints. Replaced OEM tires at 2,200 miles (rotated front/back at 1,000 miles). I've riden a couple of centuries without any comfort complaints. Everything I've hoped for in a starter bike. Nice value for the price.

Bike Setup:   Allez w/ Shimano SPD-SL pedels, Dura-Ace brake pads, Cat eye micro wireless, Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires.

Submitted by scottrs a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    Ride quality! Value; brings everything you want at a great price-$600 for frameset with headset and seatpost at full MSRP.

Weaknesses:    I have not owned it long but at this point no weaknesses have been identified.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2011 Specialized E5 Aluminum Allez Comp frameset. I bought this as an interim frameset after selling my 2010 S Works Tarmac frameset. All I can say is wow; I cannot imagine that there is even an equal let alone better frameset available for anywhere near this price. I expected the ride quality to be a bit harsh but it rides very smoothly; it even seems to be a bit more smooth than the Tarmac. Stiff, reasonably light, smooth riding and inexpensive; what else could you hope for?

Favorite Ride:   Oracle to San Manuel

Similar Products Used:   Nothing I have ridden even begins to approach the value proposition that this frame offers.

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace, Enve wheels..typical S Works build.

Submitted by GMember a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    price, carbon fork, drivetrain works very solid even with Sora, reasonable weight.

Weaknesses:    Stock brakes. They have little power and the pads aren't adjustable at all. Tires. They have a wire bead and are 300+ grams. Wheels. Not bad, but around 2000 grams for the pair. Will be one of the first major upgrades.

Bottom Line:
Above, it says my bike is a 2007 but really it's a 2009 (cause the menu wouldn't let me go higher than 07). This was my first road bike after years of mtn riding. At first I was shocked at the difference in handling. I never thought I would get used to the "on a rail" feeling of road riding. Well this bike has made me a believer in regular road rides! It feels great, if maybe a bit rough, but hey, I can handle a bit of road buzz. The price on this thing is quite great, considered that most high end road equipment costs more than the entire Allez! All around, a perfect first time road ride that can be tuned for more serious performance.

Favorite Ride:   35 miles with Peck Orchard climb!

Purchased At:   New England Bicycle