Specialized Allez Elite Compact Double Road Bike

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Over 20 Years ago, we named our first performance road machine after the French word for 'go.' With an entirely redesigned alloy frame reminiscent of the Tarmac, the new Allez delivers the light weight, efficiency and precision handling demanded by enthusiast road riders everywhere, regardless of how they say 'fast.'

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    Stiffness. Tapered fork, great geometry, and it fits me.

Weaknesses:    maybe wheels and overall weight.

Bottom Line:
Comparing it to the CAAD9, I think this bike fits me better (maybe taller headtube), and I think the stock parts on the Specialized (handlebar, seat tube, stem definitely, handlebar) is way better than cannondale. This frame also seems stiffer, and corners amazingly. Fantastic on descents, and might feel slower in time trials, the speedometer still is impressive. I think the cannondale might sprint better, due to being much lighter, and feels lighter. I will likely get new wheels, but overall I think this bike is perfect for most riders. of course, if it fits. The cannondale just felt a little small, and the specialized definitely does not. got lucky.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere with hills

Similar Products Used:   CAAD 9, Giant TCR Advanced, other Cannondales, Independent Fabrication, etc..

Submitted by Fit4Life a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2012

Strengths:    The seat is very comfortable.
The fork and handlebars are laterally stiff. The steering tube is aluminum, so you don't have to worry about cracking carbon.
The bottom bracket area is standard outboard bearing, and stiff.
A full Shimano 105 group provides precise and reliable shifting.
The bike has good directional stability.
Armadillo tires last for many miles and have flat protection.

Weaknesses:    The Mavic CXP wheels are heavy.
The frame is a little heavier than other high quality aluminum frames I've owned.
The 49 cm frame has very little room for a frame pump and standard waterbottles.

Bottom Line:
I took this bike as a trade for my Tri bike. The first thing I did was to replace the heavy Mavic CXP wheel. The only reason a pair of 32 spoke wheels should be sold on a road bike is to accomodate a clydesdale. Most of use are not clydesdales. I've taken the Allez for a few rides of more than 35 miles. The terrain was flat to rolling hills. I did a couple interval workouts. The frame is stiff and transfers power to the road. Specialized has done significant research on seat design. Even before I got the Allez, I had replaced the seat on another bike with a Specialized seat because it is so comfortable. Even though I tuned the shifting, Shimano shifting is better designed than SRAM, which I have on another bike. SRAM misses shifts during every ride, Shimano doesn't. Specialized pioneered tires with kevlar flat protection, so the Armadillo tires will give me many miles of worry-free use. I would recommend a 165mm crank length for the 49 cm frame, not because my 5'9" frame wants one, but because 170mm is too long for a person who is 5' to 5'4".

Favorite Ride:   FlattestCentury in the East

Purchased At:   Traded

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar "Famous Maker" SRAM Force roadbike
Cannondale SR400

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105, 10 speed roadbike, Williams 30 wheels, Michelin Krylion tires

Submitted by ryanberg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2011

Strengths:    -Carbon fork an hour glass shape seat stays soak up road vibe.
-Handles well.
-Shimano 105 equipped.

Weaknesses:    -Tires.
-Wheels.
-Breaks.

Bottom Line:
Fun fast bike. Very good fit. Good buy for the price.

Favorite Ride:   all

Purchased At:   Eriks

Bike Setup:   Sram Rival Breaks, CF seatpost, Reynolds Alta Race wheels, FSA carbon handlebars, Shimano R700 crank.

Submitted by beston a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    -appearance
-Frame fit
-ride quality

Weaknesses:    -A few the stock components leave something to be desired.
-The MSRP of the bike is at the top of the range for bikes of this spec level.
-This bike may give you the upgrade bug a little more quickly than others.

Bottom Line:
Bikes are expensive these days, so I was happy to come across this bike, slightly used, for under $1000. After just over a season's worth of use I can say that I'm overall very happy with this bike and the changes I've made to it.

The frame itself shares a lot of similarities with the the styling and geometry more expensive Tarmac frame, except for the fact that it has a longer head tube. This is designed to encourage a slightly more relaxed body position on the bike. Never the less, I find that I can get myself into an aggressive position on hard rides and still feel quite comfortable. The frame is also made up of mostly aluminum with a carbon fork and a carbon seat stay. I find that it is comfortable enough for me, but I have yet to compare the ride quality with a full carbon frame. Lastly, the frame is stiff enough to handle even the hardest pushes out of the saddle.

The components on the bike have their good and bad qualities.
- The 105 components work very well. In fact, I can't appreciate any noticeable different in mechanical function or performance in the 105 group vs. ultegra and Dura-Ace. The differences between component groups are very subtle and as long as the 105 group is set up right, it will do a great job!

-The compact crank has been great and is all that 90% really need in a bike. I'd rather have an easier time getting up the hill and sacrifice some top speed in sprints or going down hill.

-The seat post is a joke. It's an aluminum seat post with a carbon wrap around it. Older versions of this bike came with a carbon seat post and this newer model is clearly a down grade.

-The wheels and tires leave a bit to be desired. Specialized seems to have stocked the lower end models of their Roubaix, Allez, and Tarmac bikes with lower-end mavic rims and mondo tires. They are good enough, but again, older versions came with better stock components.

I have since changed the saddle (to a Toupe), wheels (mavic kysirium), and seat post (specialized carbon zert) and am very satisfied with the quality and performance of this bike. I know that when I'm in a group ride, the bike is not holding me back!

Similar Products Used:   2006 Specialized Allez expert.

Submitted by Brian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Shimano 105's shift perfect
Agile and Fast
very solid entry level bike

Weaknesses:    Brakes seem a little weak but not bad
Im not a fan of the white seat but besides that it looks amazing

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2009 Allez elite with E5 aluminum. The bike is smooth and fast right from the start, very comfortable and easy handle. The bike has 105 components through out and shifts crisp with no problems.

Favorite Ride:   Road

Bike Setup:   Stock setup with speed play light action pedals

allez double compact elite vs. allez sport

can anyone tell me which is the better buy. im new to road cycling. im in canada and the allez sport is $1000 plus tax and the elite double compact is $1428 plus tax on sale and is regular $1647. the sport has all sora components and double has all 105. is it worth it to pay the extra 400 for the 1 ... Read More »