Specialized Allez Elite Compact Road Bike

• SRAM PG-950 cassette, 9-speed 11-28t
  • 50x34T chainrings

Submitted by beston a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    -ride characteristics
-geometry
-looks

Weaknesses:    -For the price, I was expecting slightly better components.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2009 Allez Elite.

It certainly is a great bike. I have switched from an 2005 allez expert that was a little too bike. The 54cm fits my 5'10" size great. After putting on a summers worth of miles, I have come to a few conclusions. First of all this bike has great ride characteristics.

-Good handling that inspires confidence.

-The geometry seems to be very comfortable to me. It has a long head tube, but you can still set up the bike in a pretty aggressive position.

-This bike will take you to your limits. It's stiff and responsive. I don't think that spending more on a bike will make you a better rider!

-I think that specialized did an excellent job with the graphics and looks of this bike.

-Components. 105 level components are a great price point groupset. But for the price of the bike, I might have expected more. I am completely happy with this set, even though it was a downgrade from my last bike (ultegra 10speed). However, at this price point, you could get a bike with more Ultegra components.

-The compact crank is nice. It's stiff and shifts well. I think a compact crank is the way to go for the vast majority of riders out there. My group rides average in the 23-24mph range and I have never run out of gears.

- I am a little disappointed with the 'faux' carbon seat post. Simply wrapping a layer of carbon around aluminum is silly and provides no benefit to the rider. This is a downgrade from previous offerings (remember the 'zert')

- Specialized has also downgraded the fork (from previous models) to have an aluminum steerer.

- The saddle was surprisingly comfortable for me. However, it's heavy in comparison to others. If it works for you, keep it.

- The wheel set is adequate. While I think you could have much better wheels on, these are perfectly fine training wheels. I did upgrade my wheels as I had a set to do so already.

I also immediately swapped out the brakes for Ultegra, so I can't comment on the specialized house brand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the bike. But if I didn't get such a great deal on it, I certainly would have considered other bikes before spending retail $ on this one.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez Elite Int'l 2005.
Cervelo P2SL

Bike Setup:   54cm
Upgraded Ultegra brakes
Upgraded Mavic Equipe wheels

Submitted by ChazMan428 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    Hard to name just one as it is so much better than what I was used to. This is my first modern bike.

Weaknesses:    Brakes were great at first but have noticeably lost stopping power after about 3 months. They still stop well though. First thin I swapped out was the seat.

Bottom Line:
I started this year on an old Schwinn Sports Tourer. It was ell maintained but after a number of long rides I knew it was time to upgrade. Finding the Allez on Craig's List was destiny and saved me a bunch of money. It's an '08 that was barely used. The gears weren't even dirty! It's listed on the Specialized site as a competitive road bike even though it is not all carbon. It rides very comfortably though may not be as smooth as an all carbon bike. For what I paid, it's a great all-around bike. I've put about 1600 miles on it and nothing has gone wrong except the occasional flat. Oh yeah, the tires are the coolest looking part!

Favorite Ride:   Hines Drive in west 'burbs of Detroit

Purchased At:   Craig's List

Bike Setup:   Aluminum frame, carbon fork, carbon seat stays, carbon seatpost, Tiagra crank and front der. 105 rear der. 9-speed cassette.

Submitted by Stephan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    LOOKS amazing
Excellent reliability
Fun to ride

Weaknesses:    Brakes are weak but you don't notice unless you try other brakes.

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike and it made me fall in love with the sport. You can't go wrong with a bike like this. Good components for entry level, even the wheelset that you'll end up upgrading in the long run. I found the seat very confortable.

Favorite Ride:   Oka-hudson commute

Purchased At:   LBS in montreal

Similar Products Used:   OCR1, Tarmac Expert, Tarmac comp

Bike Setup:   stock with ultegra brakes and eggbeater pedals

Submitted by Vincent a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Great buy for what you get
Low vibrations
Good components
Awesome paint
Good tech

Weaknesses:    only a 2 gears in front
seat can be uncomfy

Bottom Line:
This is a 2008 actually. Anyways, I picked this bike up to use for riding with my friends and training. It's a great bike, it rides on the road without a lot of vibrations and it very quick and responsive. This is specialized quality, you are not paying for the components as much as you are paying for the quality and technology behind specialized's bikes.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Allez Elite Compact

Purchased At:   Peloton

Similar Products Used:   trek 1000

Bike Setup:   All stock with shimmano clips

Submitted by gatorling a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Solid beginner's bike, attractive paint-job, great starter saddle (Alias), great grippy tires.

Weaknesses:    Brakes are kind of crappy, hard to get any real stoppage. I think it's time to upgrade to Dura-ace brakes (brakes on the allez are no-name)

Bottom Line:
Actually reviewing a 2008 model.
This is my first road bike so I have nothing to compare it against. The only two other bikes I test rode were a Jamis aurora (steel touring bike) and a Jamis ventura expert and sport.

The allez definitely feels much smoother than the Ventura and Sport (the zertz inserts really work!) but in the end the bike is still aluminum and can't compare to a steel bike (the Aurora) for comfort.

I have absolutely no complaints about this bike. Does exactly what it's supposed to and for the amount I paid I am very pleased.