Specialized Allez Elite Cr-Mo Triple Road Bike

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Get on Specialized's Allez Triple and go! This great road machine features Specialized's A1 Premium aluminum frame and a carbon fork for a sweet...

Submitted by Dennis Plata a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    the stock Shimano 105 components,
the Culumbus Frame,
The Specialized Carbon fiber Handle bar, Fork and seat post,
the weight.

Weaknesses:    none at this moment.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike almost 80 miles a week (since I bought it), I bought this bike after searching on the
internet the Culumbus tubing quality and reading the reviews made by all of you on roadreview.com; when I saw it on person I fall in love with it, because of their classic and sporty good looking, I buy it inmediatiely and I took it to the
Specialized Bike Store near my house in order to do their maintenance, when I arrived to the store the mechanic and the owner of the store likes its classic look, and the weight it's ok for being an steel bike (I think it weight a few more grams than a similar aluminum allez bike). on the road the bike is faster and I don't feel it nervous while I'm pushing it on downhills, the bike is a great buy, the Shimano 105 components that are the stock components have good quality and they are easy to maintain. I only changed the stock aluminum handle bar for an Specialized Carbon Handle bar in order to have a lighter bike. I will run my first duathlon with this bike and I feel confident on this Specialized Allez bike.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Allez CroMo Triple & Specialized FSR xc

Similar Products Used:   none at this moment.

Bike Setup:   all shimano 105 components (shifts, front and back derailleurs, chain, drive train, etc...), tires Vittoria Zafiro, Specialized Carbon fork, Specialized Carbon seat post, Specialized Carbon Handle Bar, Specialized Saddle, Alex wheels.

Submitted by Stevemtbr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Great bike for the money. Rides much better than aluminum in this price range.

Weaknesses:    Again, come on Specialized, no 06 or even and 07 steel bike in the future? As far as the rear tire goes I will call it a fluke for now. If the same problem comes up in the next year or two then I will swap to a different brand tire.

Bottom Line:
This is my one year follow up of my review below. I have put about 3,000 miles on the bike since I first bought it. I upgraded the 105 12-25 cassette to a new SRAM R9 12-26 for no particular reason except I got a smokin deal on the R9. As mentioned below this bike offers an outstanding overall ride. A few minor issues, the Gossamer developed some minor creaking and I removed the bearinings applied some grease to the threads and the creaking went away. Another problem that I encountered was with the rear Pro Mondo tire. About all I can say is the casing on the inside of the tire came undone causing the tire to develop a warp that was off center. Didn't flat or rub the frame but I had to ride 10 miles home with the tire thumping every revolution. Took the tire to the shop and they replaced it no problem. On the outside they have held up well and they roll great which I do ride some pretty rough roads. The Alex wheels are still running perfectly true and changing the tire on these rims is very easy. Again 105 shifting/braking flawless even with the compact crank.

Favorite Ride:   Still trail #7 on lookout Pass

Purchased At:   Wheelsport

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Record 910
Paramount w/105/Ultegra mix
Cannondale CAD3 all XT Mt bike
Cannondale CAD3 cross bike

Bike Setup:   105 drive train with FSA Gossamer compact crank, Specialized fork/bars/stem/seat post, SRAM R9 12-26 Cassette

Submitted by bigguyinc2001 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Everything is smooth, and Carbon really makes a difference with road vibration.

Weaknesses:    nothing major, just difficult to shift from middle crank to outer crank, but thats how it is with all triple cranks that ive had.

Bottom Line:
Have put about 300 miles on this bike in the past 2 months including a century out to Montauk, NY. This bike is a wonderful ride. Shifts great, and while many complain about these tires, i have yet to get a flat and I commute to Jamaica, NY everyday! Anyone who has driven in NYC knows that the road here are terrible! Overall i really enjoy riding this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Allez Elite

Purchased At:   Mineola Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1980 Panaracer (that bike was sooo much slower than this one!)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by earwaxen1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Strengths:    Steel frame, carbon seatpost & fork make it a smooth ride. Shimano 105's good quality components.

Weaknesses:    I have yet to find any

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a road bike when I came across the Allez Elite Cro Mo Triple. This bike had everything I wanted including an unbelievable price.I had a Specialized Crossroads which is a great bike but very heavy. I do alot of long distance rides and was sick of guys on road bikes passing me like I was standing still.The Allez is very light and scary fast! I was a little worried about comfort but have had no problems.

Favorite Ride:   This Bike

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sports Roche

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by elbe500 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    Light; fast; sweet steel ride; room for 700X28 tires; Shimano 105 gruppo

Weaknesses:    None that I can see, unless you don't trust carbon because it does have a carbon fork and seat post.

Bottom Line:
Great bike; last of the all steel Allez frames; very versatile; speed or comfort, your choice; particularly good value as NOS if you can find one;

Favorite Ride:   Specilized Allez Elite CroMo Triple

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle,

Similar Products Used:   1978 Basso tre-tubi lugged steel racing bike; Rivendell Quickbeam single speed

Bike Setup:   Swapped tires for 700X28; saddle for Brooks B-17; cassette for 13X24; chainrings for 48X38X24; stem for 40 degree 85cm; and voila, a Rivendellized all round road bike, comfortable, fast, reliable for $hundreds$ less than the real thing;