Specialized Allez Elite Triple Road Bike

• Higher-quality, more comfortable Body Geometry Avatar Gel saddle

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by spiro spyratos

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight E5 aluminum from Specialized is equal of lower grade carbon

Weaknesses:    Start up package a little on the heavy side, but still good

Bottom Line:
    I'm different then most posters on this forum. I actually, in my heyday, owned and rode many different types of bikes, high end or otherwise. I have ridden and owned Cervelos, carbon Tarmacs, even a titanium Lynskey. While the Lynskey was my favorite (it had a sublime and supple ride that is hard to describe), it also cost close to $4k. Then came the kids. According to my wife, having three carbon bikes in my stable is ridiculous, so off they went on ebay. Anyway, back to the Specialized Apex Comp 2012. I absolutely love this ride. It is stiffer than any of the carbon bikes, except maybe the new Tarmac SL3/4's...but it costs five times less. It's fast and responds immediately to your input. I don't race anymore but I also don't feel like I'm putting off my kids' college funds with this ride. I paid $1350 for it and it lists for $1550. It is reasonably light so I don't get all the hoopla about bike weights. Any bikes in the enthusiast and upper categories will be slightly south of twenty pounds. The pros used to race on 21-22 lb machines in the eighties, so I don't get all this marketing fascination with weight and consumers willing to spend thousands so a frame shaves off 2 grams. Rubbish. Take it from me, I have ridden multi thousand dollar machines and they are maybe 5% better, at best, than this bike. I would never go back. And Specialized's R&D department claims they have stress tested this frame for 1 million miles. End of story

Submitted by franklinmark101 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride
    Strong bike
    Had no problems what so ever
    Can ride over 70 miles with no problems

Weaknesses:    A little heavy
    Cheap wheel set

Bottom Line:
    Awesome bike! Very smooth ride on bike trails, can be a little rough on the road. Stock wheel set is heavy upgraded to new wheel set. Also up graded to a different saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Trails by the house

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105
    Mavic Wheel set
    Aero Bars

Submitted by strohman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Great deal for the money.
    Sharp looking bike!

Weaknesses:    Alex wheels heavy--I wish Specialized would put something nicer on this bike!

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike for the recreational rider or a first bike. You could find a cheaper bike, but you get a lot with this bike. The aluminum frame is light and responsive. The Shimano 105 components perform quite well and will do the job for the non-racer. You also get a carbon fork and seat post with the zertz inserts, which is a nice upgrade.

This bike is light, fast and fun, and it won't cost you a small fortune.

I also love the red and white paint scheme. Very sharp so you don't feel like you are riding a cheaper bike.
    I did replace the seat and wheels, but everything else is stock.

This is a very popular bike and it seems like everyone who buys one, loves it!

Favorite Ride:   Long and scenic!

Purchased At:   Jeff's Bike Shop

Submitted by Rodrigo Marcato a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Quick response, good geometry, ligth and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Tiagra components. These were soon replaced by Ultegra ones.

Bottom Line:
    Great frame for the begginer, can be coupled easily with better components and give you a lot of fun. Smooth ride and great cornering!

Favorite Ride:   Any road by the sea, Brazil is great for that!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Technium 1997

Bike Setup:   Ultegra shifters, derailleurs, hubs and brakes, Truvativ Elita crank, Mavic CXP 33 rims and Specialized Toupe saddle

Submitted by kolincj a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable over long distances.
    Price is low.
    Quick but not fast.
    Durable and smooth.

Weaknesses:    Shaky on downhill in speeds of 30 or more mph. A little on the heavy side. Wheel set is cheap.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great entry level bike for someone who is just getting into the sport. I have put over 3,000 miles on this bike in just over 3 years and it is still in great shape. Durabillity is very very good!! Most rides that I've been on it have been 60-75 miles long with numerous centuries and 150 mile rides. Comfort is great over the long rides. It is a fairly quick bike and does descent on hills. Downhills is a different story......shaky. I would recommend this bike to any enrty level or weekender looking for a durable, long lasting, comforatble, and quick ride!

Favorite Ride:   Long and hilly!

Purchased At:   Treads Bicycle Outfi

Allez Triple vs Allez Elite Triple

Hey, I'm looking to get my first road bike and need some advice. It's going to be used mainly for commuting leisurely 30 miles daily. A delightful little commute really right along a slough that is pretty from a distance, but there have been cases of people getting swimmers itch without ever ent ... Read More »

1st road bike: Just bought a 2006 Allez Elite Triple..what can I modify?

Just wondering what are some better parts that I can modify other than changing the gears to Shimano Ultegra. Also, what are some parts that I can change to carbon fiber as well? As of now, everything is stock.Read More »

07 Allez Elite Triple Weight

Wow, I weighed it last night and it came out to 18.4 pounds! And that's with saddle bag which has my spare tube and some other things in it.Read More »

Allez Elite Triple 06 or 07?

I am looking at these two bikes and want to know what you guys think about the frames between them. The prices are about same now and I don't know which one is a better deal. I always read that go with a better frame, so I can always upgrade other parts later. 07 has carbon seatstays, so is i ... Read More »

Allez Comp Triple vs. Allez Elite Triple (yes, a n00b)

Hi all, First post, first bike, etc. My LBS (yes, I'm learning the acronyms/lingo) is having a clearance on the '06 Allez comps/elites. I was originally looking at just the Elite as it was in my price range and has reasonably nice components without being too overkill for a first bike. However, ... Read More »