Specialized Allez Expert Double Road Bike

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

• Lighter and stiffer E5 AEROTEC aluminum frame with FACT carbon seatstays and Zertz inserts
  • FACT Monocoque carbon fork with vibration damping Speed Zertz
  • Lighter, better shifting Shimano Ultegra 20-speed component group
  • Lighter, more durable Shimano R600 wheelset
  • Body Geometry Alias saddle with carbon reinforced base provides lightweight and comfort

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Andy West

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Strengths:    Spec, looks and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Only your own fitness!!

Bottom Line:
    I have owned this bike for 6 years or so, 1500-2000 miles a year. My bike came with Mavic wheels over the Shimano, albeit a similar weight so probably has little bearing on the bike. I have always found the frame fantastic; climbing, a sprint or just a long slog it copes well with it all. Always nice to be near the end of a 100+ mile sportive and to be passing people on £6000+ bikes on this bike! Not tried it for racing, though for the recreational rider I cant fault it. Looks good too.

Submitted by Joe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Cabon seat post, full fork, seat stays, saddle reinforcement. Full Ultegra. Nice wheels.

Weaknesses:    Mondo Pro tires (so i hear) and a bit heavy for the MSRP. (18.5 lbs on my scale)

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this bike as a transition from a mountain biking past that I don't have the time or the insurance package to support anymore. MSRP was around $2300, and to get a full Ultegra bike for $700 was obviously a God moment. I sold my single speed and old mountain bike and parked this in the garage one week later. I have been begging the wife for opportunites to ride since. There is not one spec on the bike that I don't absolutely love, and the ride quality is excellent.

Favorite Ride:   Baldwin Trail Jax

Purchased At:   Lakeshore Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude, Specialized Langster

Bike Setup:   Ultegra / Carbon

Submitted by srbeck a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Efficient, it's very snappy but with a very good road feel (for an aluminum bike)
    Great selection of parts, the whole thing is very reliable

Weaknesses:    I would have to agree the original tires are terrible.

Bottom Line:
    Flat out cannot find a better bicycle for the money.
    I've been riding for a decade on lord knows how many bikes, two dozen?, and this has been one of the best. I've got 6000 miles on it and no complaints. Currently it's serving as my training bike and I've also got a 5500$ carbon race bike which is honestly not much faster

Favorite Ride:   Lookout Mtn

Purchased At:   craigs list

Similar Products Used:   Tarmac SL2 & pro, Cervelo R3sl & RS, Felt F3, Orbea Orca and Opal

Bike Setup:   Factory minus an upgraded carbon bar

Submitted by beston a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2008

Strengths:    looks
    specs
    stiffness

Weaknesses:    stiffness.
    I hate the Mondo Pro tires. They hold up fine, but they do not feel fast or good in corners.

Bottom Line:
    Hmmm... This is an interesting bike.
    Spec wise, I love it. It's difficult to improve on full ultegra components.They don't mix-and-match here. Lots of carbon thrown in all over (seat stays, post, handle bars, fork, fork crown)!

look wise, I love it. There is something so hot about that brushed look on a bike.

Stiffness... good and bad.
    The good. When you start mashing, it responds. I can't feel any flex in the bottom bracket when I'm chasing down a break.

The bad... When I bought this bike, I immediately thought that it would be more comfortable than my Cervelo Tri bike just because all of that carbon that's been added. This is not the case. It is no where near as comfortable. The feel of the bike isn't as nice and road vibrations are felt on both the bum and hands. I thought that it might be the saddle, so I switched it with my cervelo and found no difference. I'm a little disappointed by that.

Favorite Ride:   The one with a tailwind

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo Dual

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Bruce Sodervick a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    After much personal research, I believe it is the very best bike for the buck - in that not-entry level/not-super racer range of biker.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have the momentum (weight)for driving through strong headwinds that my 50 year old steel bikes have and who the heck cares? Also it is so exciting to ride that it increases my heartbeat rate without "stressing" my heart (from exertion) and so it is difficult to get an accurate (or valid) reading on my heart monitor! OK, so I do "excitement intervals".

Bottom Line:
    After over 1000 miles I can say that this is one exciting bike! Ever been on a real spirited, strong, sensitive racehorse that's been in the barn too long? The Allez Expert feels like that! Very responsive and quick with sensitive steering. I am a small (5'6"), old (69), light (150lb) rider and the delicate handling requiring a light touch seems perfect. Also, the aluminum allows me to feel contact with the road and sense the spirit of the bike unlike carbon fiber. There's still plenty of weight shaving carbon with the fork, seatstays, and reinforced saddle base and adequate road damping with the zerts inserts. In my initial bike testing at various LBS's I felt the Allez was a winner but there were so many unfortunate levels of bike prep on the demo models that it was hard to discern what was characteristic of that particular bike and what was just a matter of good or bad component adjustment. Therefore, I'd recommend learning to maintain and repair your owm bike early on. All in all, the Allez Expert is exceptional in my book, just remember to keep your lips closed when you ride with that big grin (through bugs!).

Favorite Ride:   the next one

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Tested: Trek, Giant,and all the levels of Specialized Allez. Own: vintage Kalkoff, Royce Union, Releigh and Specialized Roubaix Expert, Sirrus Elite, Sequoia, and a Mongoose mtb.

Bike Setup:   Stock'07 Allez Expert (53x39t), brushed, upgraded with Durace derailleurs (f&r), toupe gel saddle, and Michelein Pros.