Specialized Allez Expert Triple Road Bike

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

• Lighter and stiffer E5 AEROTEC aluminum frame with FACT carbon seatstays and Zertz inserts
  • Lighter, better shifting Shimano Ultegra 10-speed triple component group
  • Lighter, more durable Shimano R600 wheelset
  • Body Geometry Alias saddle with carbon reinforced base provides lightweight and comfort

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Gtoguy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Ultegra is great and very reliable. Carbon fiber relieves stress on the upper body. Very customizable with upgrades.

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden for years, but now I am training to become a triathlete and offered to buy this bike from a good friend. He had purchased a new bicycle and gifted it to me this spring.

The Ultegra shifts smoothly and is very responsive. The carbon fact forks absorb some road roughness to make the ride easier on your upper body. The frame will last forever and if the components stay upgraded, you will stay competetive.

Solid on highspeed downhills(50+mph).

Favorite Ride:   Allez Expert Triple

Purchased At:   Gift from a good fri

Submitted by RoadHazard a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    Comparable to other road bikes.

Weaknesses:    Road vibration transfered to the rider.

Bottom Line:
    Prior to this bike, I road a Trek 7.3fx (Hybrid), so my review has limited road bike experience.

The rigid aluminum frame of the 2007 Allez Expert transfers every bit of road vibration to the rider. On short rides, this is not too tiring, but I could see how this may be wearing on longer rides or on rougher roads such as in the city.

The bike is lighter than my hybrid, but about average of the other road bikes that I tested.

The Ultegra components are a much welcomed improvement over the Shimano Deore's that are on my Trek. Still, I experience a few failures to shift even when the shift levers are firmly engaged.

Overall, I am very pleased with this bike. I think at this point, the Allez Expert gives the rider neither an advantage nor a disadvantage over other riders. In the future, I may trade up for a carbon frame because of the road vibration.

Favorite Ride:   The Streets of San Francisco

Purchased At:   used at LBS

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7.3fx (Hybrid)

Bike Setup:   Stock with Amarillo tires.

Submitted by Richard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff frame. Zertz and carbon forks/posts absorb road noise well. Excellent brake responsiveness

Weaknesses:    Chain occassioally slips off front crank while travelling up hill and down shifting (?). Only 3 times in 3 months; 220 miles thus far.

Bottom Line:
    Love this bike! It's the first road bike I've owned in ~20yrs. I have been on MT bikes in between. I test rode several Specialized and Trek models prior to purchase. Found this to be the most comfortable for my size (5'11", 170lbs). Received a great deal on this bike, due to close out of a remaining 2007 model (retailed at ~$2400). I primarily ride "loops" in my suburban/pastural neighborhood (10-13 miles). Lots of hills. Smooth ride. The bike is plenty responsive to incline changes without feeling heavy. After a ride I feel tired; not sore. My wife is now interested in purchasing a bike as well seeing my enthusiasm with riding. I have no doubt we'll purchase another Specialized. Well worth the investment for anyone considering regular riding.

Favorite Ride:   neighborhood loops

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Expert triple.
    Odometer.
    Shimano 105/Ultregra combo.

Submitted by louielouie62 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    Great shifting response from the Ultegra group. The triple comes in quite handy when you're going up the hill and wish you had just one more gear. The brakes are awesome, it stops on a dime and gives you nine cents' change!

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a bit uncomfortable but maybe it's because I went from MTB to road and not quite used to it yet. Played with the positioning and it feels better.

Bottom Line:
    Crisp, responsive, smooth ride, like a fine tuned sports car! A great investment level bike that you will not soon outgrow. Just when you think that there isn't any more speed left on this bike you drop another gear and you're flying. If it had wings I'm sure it would take off. IF YOU WANT TO GET THIS BIKE BETTER GET IT FAST BECAUSE SPECIALIZED DOES NOT OFFER IT IN THEIR 2008 LINEUP!!!

Favorite Ride:   The Woodlands 20 mile