Specialized Allez Steel Double Road Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

If steel is real, then the Allez Steel is the real deal in terms of value, durability, and classic style. Tig welded Reynolds 520 steel Allez frame with integrated headset for a solid road feel and renowned longevity

Submitted by Don Rulli

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    Bought this in Red 3 years ago from my LBS..... I love it !! It's got everything you could ask for at a great price. You just can't beat a steel frame. I log about 1400 to 1500 miles a season and have no second thoughts about it's purchase.

Weaknesses:    Only was available in red :(

Bottom Line:
If your "old school" this is about as close as you can get.

Submitted by Paul a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2013

Strengths:    Classic look, beautiful steel frame, good for serious distance riding or daily commuting

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet. My only gripe is that Specialized discontinued it and no longer makes a steel frame bike. BOO!!

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in red, two years ago from a LBS. I was looking for a good steel-frame road bike that I could use for laying down some serious miles and/or just recreational rides with the family. This bike does both extremely well. I never cease to be amazed at how FAST this bike is. Also, for being a steel frame with Shimano 2300, I find it to be surprisingly light. I recently upgraded it with Speedplay chro-moly clipless pedals, and this bike feels like a rocket. I wouldn't trade it for aluminum or carbon fiber. This bike is just plain awesome and it puts a smile on my face ever time I jump on it for a ride. I might upgrade the wheels at some point, and I'm thinking about putting a better stem and seat/seatpost on it. But frankly, I'd never trade this for carbon or aluminum. Steel is where it's at!!! You just can't beat it for that classic feel on the road, that classic look, and of course, bullet-proof durability. Sure, aluminum is lighter, but they have to use MORE of it. Carbon fiber is light and preferred by racers, but you have to ask yourself: do you plan to make a living as a professional racer with your bike? If the answer is no, then you don't need carbon. Steel. Enough said!

Favorite Ride:   trail

Purchased At:   DNA Cycles in Arizon

Similar Products Used:   Trek, GT, Electra

Bike Setup:   Speedplay chro-moly pedals, stem in the down (aggressive) position, no rack or bags, very minimalist

Submitted by John a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Great ride, classic down tube shifting and steel frame are great, not much can go wrong.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for 3 month's and have no complaints. After riding an old 12 speed with 27x1.25 tires for 25 years it did take a while adjusting to the narrower 700x25 tires and 16 speeds. All my riding is done on paved city roads, which can be an adventure themselves given their physical conditions. My ride can range 10 to 21 miles at least 3 times a week. At my age (60) I also need to take the time of day and weather conditions into consideration.

Favorite Ride:   Recreational / Excercise

Purchased At:   Wheelworks, Somervil

Similar Products Used:   Sterling Sportlight S/S 12 speed

Bike Setup:   Stock Shimano 2300 with 52-39t crank and HG-50 8 speed cassette, tires are vittoria zaffiro 700x25.

Submitted by Matt a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    smooth ride, love the shifters. Love the simplicity. There is so little to go wrong with the bike...

Weaknesses:    brakes could be better...but then again, its steel, and I have thorn-proof tires - probably pushing 25lbs. overall. Not bad, just not fantastic.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike daily for 2 months. Its my first road bike - had a Specialized Crosstrail Sport previously. I got a deal on it cause it was purchased and returned practically brand new. I ride on the road 75% of the time, while navigating sidewalks, potholes, curbs, etc. I work in an office downtown, so I do what I can to get there as fast as possible, while beating traffic. This bike is an ox. I've taken a couple of hard bumps - no problem. I use clip-less, and had to bunny hop a culvert that I didn't see till the last minute. No problem. I've ridden long distances and been up to 44 mph on it. Its an amazing bike - heavier than a racer, but if you're commuting and need something steady and reliable in the worst conditions for a road bike, this is the one.

Favorite Ride:   commuting to work

Purchased At:   Elite Bikes, Tyler T

Similar Products Used:   2010 Specialized Crosstrail Sport

Bike Setup:   Stock, gator kevlar tires, avenir thorn resistant tubes (700cx25), brooks england handlebar tape, shimano clipless system.

Submitted by jd fan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    Great road feel, corners like it's on rails.

Weaknesses:    I don't know anything so ignorance is bliss.

Bottom Line:
I'm new to this sport and with most people pushing you towards a CF bike I listened to a few seasoned guys and started looking for a steel bike. Lemonds and Cannondales circa 1980. Then I read about the 2010 Specialized Allez Steel. The young guys I talked too all showed it but said you'll want...insert their favorite. I would listen but longed for the ride of a steel bike that some veteran riders shared. So I called the Spaesh dealers and found they had a 58cm in stock, jumped in the truck bought it and a helmet and went for a ride. I love it DT shifters and all. I've been a hiker and summit chaser, but I think I found my new love.

Favorite Ride:   Spesh Allez Steel

Purchased At:   Bonney Lake Bike

Similar Products Used:   None. But now I want a stable of steel bikes.

Bike Setup:   100% stock. Like I said ignorance is bliss.