Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple Road Bike

• Lighter Specialized Zertz Pro handlebar

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by RedneckRoubaix a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    Relaxed geometry, handles rough pavement, great for longer distances.

Bottom Line:
    (This is actually a 2010 model, but that is not an option in the drop down choices.)

I'm a 63 year old guy, 6-1, 190 with about a year of real riding experience. During that year I put about 2700 miles on two bikes, mostly a Giant FCR hybrid, and lately, the Roubaix. (About 800 miles on the Roubaix.) So, take this for what it's worth.

I cannot tell you how much I like this bicycle. I enjoyed my hybrid, but within six months I knew I was hooked on cycling and wanted a true road bike.

I plunked down $3000 and got a beautiful Trek Madone. Although I went into the shop intending to buy one with the H3 frame (relaxed geometry), I allowed the salesman to talk me into an H2 frame (standard geometry.) Big mistake on my part. I'm an old guy and I just couldn't (or may was unwilling) to stretch out that far. I think the bike was fitted properly. I just couldn't get used to it. To his credit, after a couple of hundred miles of unhappiness, the salesman allowed me to return the bike.

I took a break, and then started thinking about how much I had enjoyed riding my friend's 2008 Roubaix. I went to the local dealer and he immediately identified me as a good candidate for the Roubaix (relaxed geometry). A good test ride was all it took. Six months into the experience I am happy a clab in fresh mud. I love the relaxed geometry. (It's set up so that it isn't much different than my hybrid, but is overall much more comfortable on a long ride. More hand positions, much better ride, handles the lumps and bumps with grace. The little "zerts" (a sort of shock absorber) must really work.

I'm not fast. I average around 15 mph on a 30-40 mile ride that is mostly hills. I'm in it for recreation and exercise--and for the long haul.

I can't imagine ever wanting another bike. If anything I may someday upgrade the components if these begin to wear. For the foreseeable future, however, this bike is just perfect. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a bike with a relaxed ride. Think about how much farther you'll go if your not worn out by the bicycle!

Favorite Ride:   30-40 miles of mostly hills

Purchased At:   Bike World, Collierv

Bike Setup:   Stock 105 level components

Submitted by satinder ahluwalia a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    fab all around just love this bike

Weaknesses:    none at all except wish the weather was good in the UK and the roads smoother they are crap

Bottom Line:
    I was anspired by the reviews in this site and went out and bought a 2008 roubaix and am not disappointed as only got back when I turned 50 having been in to fast cars till then I have a Specialized Hybrid which really is good but wanted that special feeling and am not disappointed

Favorite Ride:   Berkshire Country side

Purchased At:   London

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hybrid

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by strictnein a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Super smooth. The vibration dampening/shock absorbent frame really seems to do the trick. It's light weight to me (19.2 Lbs).

Weaknesses:    Nothing really. When I was getting sized I tried an Expert first and fell in love with the Ultegra shifters (the Comp comes with 105s) but I'll survive. And I can always upgrade.

Bottom Line:
    This is actually for the 2008 model. I've been a life long mountain biker so this is my first road bike. Unfortunately, where I live now is 12 miles away from about 5 different off road trails (I really don't like driving to trailheads, but I don't have time to bike there and back) so my 2008 Spec Epic Comp spent most of its time on paved trails and a small mile long section of singletrack.

Finally realized that I should really be riding a road bike, but after riding a FS mountain bike for the past year and a half, I was worried about how smooth the ride would be. The Roubaix Comp has, so far, been just awesome. Super smooth ride and more comfortable, in my opinion, than the Epic Comp. So, if you're a MTBer looking for a good road bike, this is definitely one to check out.

One note: make sure to get yourself sized properly. I read everywhere that, since I was 6'1", the 58cm would almost definitely be the proper size for me. At my LBS I got a proper sizing and measurement and, due to my proportions and flexibility, a 54cm is actually the right size. They also swapped the stem out to one that would fit my riding style better. I'm glad I got it sized, because this thing is so damn comfortable now I could cry.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Bike Setup:   Stock
    Cateye wireless computer

Submitted by lalo23 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    Dark, tough guy looks. Comfortable and fast frame.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a very good fit for a former mountain biker with a beat up back. It is light, pretty stiff and handles well. I tested several bikes in the $1800-$2300 range and all had strong and weak points but the Specialized Roubiax Comp was good at everything and had no weak points (except the wheels). The LeMond Buenos Aires seemed to be super stiff, so while it climbed really well, it was a little harsh. The Orbeas did not fit me but were certainly cool looking and had great components. The Giant TCR C2(?) was very fast in the flats but was twitchy in descents. The Look 555(?) was beautiful and really the best bike with the best parts that I tried. Its frame was a bit too aggressive for me and I did not want to put on a huge stem. I also rode a Torelli steel frame and was very unimpressed - heavy with no so called comfort.

I upgraded to Mavic Krysium Elites from teh Open Pro/Specialized wheels. These wheels seem fantastic - they are super light and along with the frame, really absorb road punishment. The 105 drivetrain operates absolutely flawlessly. I am not sure what you get with Ultegra other than a couple of ounces.

Favorite Ride:   Mountain Drive

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Bike Setup:   Stock with Krysium Elites

Submitted by tim bowland a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2007

Strengths:    Super great ride that is very smooth. Great looking. Flawless components.

Weaknesses:    Not really any.

Bottom Line:
    This has been a great bike. I put 2500 miles on it without any problems. It is very comfy on long rides and great on the back. For the more upright position it still keeps a good speed. I did change out the wheel set to some FSA RD600 wheels which helped the top end.

Favorite Ride:   Any Winding Road