Specialized Roubaix Comp Road Bike

4.75/5 (51 Reviews)

Submitted by Matt Roland

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Chews up vibration. I can go with a higher PSI in the tires and it's still smooth. The carbon frame and gearing makes the hills less of a dread.

Weaknesses:    Low end tires.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been the answer to all my prayers. My first bike was aluminum. It was fast as could be, but shook the snot out of me. I decided that I wanted to go steel for the smoother ride. Sure enough, there was less vibration, but oh the weight. I saved up my pennies for a carbon frame and better components. The most important feature to me was vibration reduction. I test rode a few brands and found the Roubaix Comp to be the smoothest and most solid bike out there. I can now crank up the tire pressure without sacrificing comfort. Did I mention how much easier the climbs are? What a difference. I'm not the leader of the pack, but at least I'm in the pack now. This bike has removed all of my equipment excuses. If I'm having trouble with a ride, it’s all on me. Ultegra components throughout most of the bike give me the confidence to push it hard. The 2013 has upgraded components over the 2012 and is cheaper. How can you go wrong?

Favorite Ride:   Monterey coastal

Similar Products Used:   Novara Divano
Raligh Clubman

Submitted by Lije Baley a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, incredibly quiet and responsive.

Weaknesses:    None observed in the its first 900 miles.

Bottom Line:
My last bike was a mid-70's Raleigh Grand Prix, which limits field of reference. I purchased a 2008 Roubaix Comp (Compact) that had gone unsold at my LBS for 4 years. The original Roubaix Pro tires had been replaced by All Condition Specialized Pro II tires. Everything else was original stock. The bike has been a sheer joy to ride from the start. The Ultegra RD and 105 FD, allow for smooth and accurate shifting. The SRAM OG-1070 11t-28t cassette has been sufficient for the few steep climbs I've tried. The (105) 50-34 chainring is sufficient for my cadence needs. Most of my cycling is on flat country roads. The Roubaix travels at 17-18 mph effortlessly for hours. As an out-of-shape cyclist, I was surprised how easy it was to do short bursts of 25-26 mph. (Not sure I've got the stamina to be in a pace-line running that speed all morning.) The 105 brakes are effective and have steadied my nerves in the few steep descents I've attempted. The BB is 105, as is the chainring, however the crankset is a Shimano R600, but seems fine to me, with my inexperience. Similarly, I've been happy with the RS-10 hubs and wheels ,although numerous internet postings have mentioned replacing the wheels early on. I'm not racing, so weight-loss of a pound or two is not important to me. I'd rather drop ten pounds off my frame.

All in all, I think I was fortunate to find this older bike at a reasonable price.

Submitted by Bob Montani a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, Responsiveness, Crispness of shifting.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Checked out Scott, Trek and Cannondale. Really liked the combination of comfort and performance the Roubiax offered. Changed the seat to a Toupe and added Williams 30 wheels and Maxxis ReFuse 25C tires. Really feel it is well dialed in now. Put about 300 miles on it so far.

Favorite Ride:   American Tobacco Trail

Purchased At:   Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   This is my first road bike. In the past road MTB and Hybrids. (Trek and Giant)

Bike Setup:   Rival components, Toupe Seat, Williams 30 wheels.

Submitted by Joël a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, when you push it really goes, looks great.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2010 Roubaix Comp from my LBS in March 2010 for 2299 Euro's. Changed the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium SL, not going to change the 105's as i find for me they work just fine. I do lots of long distance races (over 10,000 km this year )and the bike is so very comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Roubaix Comp 2010 105 triple

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Submitted by brianr a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, laterally stiff yet vertically compliant. SRAM Rival group shifts well. Fulcrum 6 wheels do the job. Good value for the money.

Weaknesses:    I'm not in love with the paint job, but then again, that's not why I bought the bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact Rival from Bicycle Sport Shop in Austin, TX (ask for Brandon, he's great) after a long search for the "perfect bike". Perfect to me is comfort combined with efficiency. Being a clydesdale triathlete I was looking for a bike that combined a more comfortable seating position and a smooth ride with the lateral stiffness I need to get 225 pounds up the steep hills we have around here. This bike is all that and more. Before purchase I spent a month looking at and riding all the competitors - Felt Z series, Giant Defy, Scott CR1, Trek, etc. This bike, IMHO, blew them away. The shifting is snappy and the ride is plush, but when you step on the gas, it goes like crazy. What else could you want?

Oh, I selected 2007 in the drop down menu on this review because that's the most recent year offered...what's up with that?

Favorite Ride:   2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact Rival

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Legend Titanium road bike with Campagnolo components.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FACT 8r carbon, SRAM Rival, Fulcrum Racing 6 wheels, Body Geometry Avatar Comp saddle.

2011 Roubaix Comp compact

Went to the LBS and saw a 2011 Roubaix Comp compact with 105 group set for $1999. Talked to the staff for a while and did a test ride. I've never bought and ridden Specialized bikes befor, but I felt very comfortable as I'm 5'10" and the bike size is M (54cm). I'm sure Specialized makes great bi ... Read More »

What's my 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact Rival worth?

Had my ad up in the local CL for a while at $2k with no hits at all...am I asking too much? Bike is a 2011 Specialized Comp Compact Rival with a few upgrades - size 54 ~500 miles ridden. -105 pedals -Specialized Toupe Expert Plus 143mm saddle ~200 miles -50mm carbon clinchers from Nancy @ Ligh ... Read More »

2013 Roubaix - SL4 Expert vs. Comp ?

Hi, I am trying to understand the differences between the different levels of Roubaix frames. I understand the [URL="http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaixsl4expertcompact"]SL4[/URL] is the new, latest & greatest but what happened to last year's SL3 ? Is that now the [URL="htt ... Read More »

Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact Rival vs Bianchi Via Nirone 7

I can get the 2011 specialized for the same price as the 2012 via nirone 7 105....thoughts? this is my first bikeRead More »

Upgrading an 04 Roubaix Comp

Thinking about upgrading the frame on my old war horse, a 2004 Roubaix Comp. Its full Ultegra, which I plan on swapping to a new frame. My question is, do the newer Roubaix frames, which I presume are stiffer with the higher FACT carbon, still have the same plush ride as an 04 Comp frame but (h ... Read More »