Specialized Roubaix Comp Road Bike

4.74/5 (53 Reviews)

Submitted by Ron Neuenfeldt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2016

Strengths:    Smooth ride, road feel, handling, responsiveness.

Weaknesses:    Press fit bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
With close to 2500km on this 2015 Roubaix SL4 Comp, I am especially pleased with this bike.
For background, I have progressed from a trail bike to a hybrid to this bike. I was concerned about the comfort of drop bars, therefore the hybrid in the middle (Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc). Turns out that I was going fast enough on the hybrid that wind resistance became an issue, hence the need for this bike.
Being over 50, ride comfort is an issue. I have found the Specialized frames with zertz inserts to be very effective in soaking up the bumps as well as road noise without sacrificing handling or responsiveness. Started off with the bars/stem in the most relaxed position and have since lowered them as my comfort level on the drops increases. Will likely lower them again soon.
Component wise, the bike is a bit of a mixed bag. Groupset is mostly Ultegra but with 105 cassette and chain. This is easily the best groupset that I have owned and performs very nicely including shifting under load. Have not missed a shift or dropped a chain with this bike which I have experienced with lower end components. Not sure if an Ultegra cassette and chain would affect the performance much.
Brakes are Ultegra and are effective. Not much more to say.
Cranks are Praxis Works which I believe is a cost saving measure versus using Ultegra. My only gripe to this point is the bottom bracket. A creak has set in, which I understand is common to press fit. Planning on disassembling, cleaning and reassembling in an attempt to resolve the creak. Hoping that is not the beginning of a bearing failure (I am nearly 100kg and push hard so this is possible).
Wheels are Fulcrum S4. While I am no expert, they are a considerable step up from entry level wheels. Stiff, responsive, good bearings and running true. I believe that these wheels are what really separated this bike from others at this price point ($2700 cdn). I haven't seen another similarly equipped bike with mid-market wheels anywhere near this price (typically 50% or more higher).
Tires are Specialized Turbo Pro. Grip well, wearing well and handle well. However, have had to replace the rear although the trainer may have caused this. One flat to this point which isn't too bad considering some of the roads that I ride on. Will likely replace with Conti Grand Prix 4000s when the time comes.

In summary, I would happily recommend this ride. It has certainly checked all the boxes that I had prior to purchase (comfortable, agile and quick) with the bonus being a very competitive price point.
I have ridden in a number of century rides with no discomfort. Also ride it for shorter TT's. It happily rides along in the mid to high 30's (km/h). The only thing keeping it from be quicker is the engine! There are lots of choices in the market, including exotics, but for bang for the buck this bike delivers. I believe that this is the right bike for any rider looking for a reasonably high level of performance but does not want to feel beat up when getting of the bike.

Submitted by victor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2015

Strengths:    2015 Roubaix Comp, Smooth and comfortable. Does a good job absorbing cracks. GC-R seatpost works. Quick handling like a tarmac. Just a little longer to turn the back end. Paid $2600 on Spring sale.

Weaknesses:    Broken group sets. Half 105 and half ultegra. Frame is 8r compared to next level frame of 10r. Could have given me full ultegra and next upgrade is the better frameset. Low value group set compared to other bike companies.

Had a 2006 roubaix comp and the frame felt lighter.

Also from what I've read, the seat on the GC-R has to be mounted midrail causing you to change out the stem depending on bike fit. Bike shop did it.

Bottom Line:
Smooth bike, takes alot of bumps away. Domaine is better and the best at taking away hits, but Roubaix has quicker handling.

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   Have: 2006 tarmac comp, Trek 1000
Had: 2006 Roubaix comp
Demo: Domaine, roubaix 2014, 2014 madone, 2014 tarmac, 2014 giant defy and a few others.

Submitted by Matt Roland

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Chews up vibration. I can go with a higher PSI in the tires and it's still smooth. The carbon frame and gearing makes the hills less of a dread.

Weaknesses:    Low end tires.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been the answer to all my prayers. My first bike was aluminum. It was fast as could be, but shook the snot out of me. I decided that I wanted to go steel for the smoother ride. Sure enough, there was less vibration, but oh the weight. I saved up my pennies for a carbon frame and better components. The most important feature to me was vibration reduction. I test rode a few brands and found the Roubaix Comp to be the smoothest and most solid bike out there. I can now crank up the tire pressure without sacrificing comfort. Did I mention how much easier the climbs are? What a difference. I'm not the leader of the pack, but at least I'm in the pack now. This bike has removed all of my equipment excuses. If I'm having trouble with a ride, it’s all on me. Ultegra components throughout most of the bike give me the confidence to push it hard. The 2013 has upgraded components over the 2012 and is cheaper. How can you go wrong?

Favorite Ride:   Monterey coastal

Similar Products Used:   Novara Divano
Raligh Clubman

Submitted by Lije Baley a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, incredibly quiet and responsive.

Weaknesses:    None observed in the its first 900 miles.

Bottom Line:
My last bike was a mid-70's Raleigh Grand Prix, which limits field of reference. I purchased a 2008 Roubaix Comp (Compact) that had gone unsold at my LBS for 4 years. The original Roubaix Pro tires had been replaced by All Condition Specialized Pro II tires. Everything else was original stock. The bike has been a sheer joy to ride from the start. The Ultegra RD and 105 FD, allow for smooth and accurate shifting. The SRAM OG-1070 11t-28t cassette has been sufficient for the few steep climbs I've tried. The (105) 50-34 chainring is sufficient for my cadence needs. Most of my cycling is on flat country roads. The Roubaix travels at 17-18 mph effortlessly for hours. As an out-of-shape cyclist, I was surprised how easy it was to do short bursts of 25-26 mph. (Not sure I've got the stamina to be in a pace-line running that speed all morning.) The 105 brakes are effective and have steadied my nerves in the few steep descents I've attempted. The BB is 105, as is the chainring, however the crankset is a Shimano R600, but seems fine to me, with my inexperience. Similarly, I've been happy with the RS-10 hubs and wheels ,although numerous internet postings have mentioned replacing the wheels early on. I'm not racing, so weight-loss of a pound or two is not important to me. I'd rather drop ten pounds off my frame.

All in all, I think I was fortunate to find this older bike at a reasonable price.

Submitted by Bob Montani a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, Responsiveness, Crispness of shifting.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Checked out Scott, Trek and Cannondale. Really liked the combination of comfort and performance the Roubiax offered. Changed the seat to a Toupe and added Williams 30 wheels and Maxxis ReFuse 25C tires. Really feel it is well dialed in now. Put about 300 miles on it so far.

Favorite Ride:   American Tobacco Trail

Purchased At:   Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   This is my first road bike. In the past road MTB and Hybrids. (Trek and Giant)

Bike Setup:   Rival components, Toupe Seat, Williams 30 wheels.