Specialized Roubaix Comp Road Bike

4.73/5 (52 Reviews)

Submitted by victor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2015

Strengths:    2015 Roubaix Comp, Smooth and comfortable. Does a good job absorbing cracks. GC-R seatpost works. Quick handling like a tarmac. Just a little longer to turn the back end. Paid $2600 on Spring sale.

Weaknesses:    Broken group sets. Half 105 and half ultegra. Frame is 8r compared to next level frame of 10r. Could have given me full ultegra and next upgrade is the better frameset. Low value group set compared to other bike companies.

Had a 2006 roubaix comp and the frame felt lighter.

Also from what I've read, the seat on the GC-R has to be mounted midrail causing you to change out the stem depending on bike fit. Bike shop did it.

Bottom Line:
Smooth bike, takes alot of bumps away. Domaine is better and the best at taking away hits, but Roubaix has quicker handling.

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   Have: 2006 tarmac comp, Trek 1000
Had: 2006 Roubaix comp
Demo: Domaine, roubaix 2014, 2014 madone, 2014 tarmac, 2014 giant defy and a few others.

Submitted by Matt Roland

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    Chews up vibration. I can go with a higher PSI in the tires and it's still smooth. The carbon frame and gearing makes the hills less of a dread.

Weaknesses:    Low end tires.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been the answer to all my prayers. My first bike was aluminum. It was fast as could be, but shook the snot out of me. I decided that I wanted to go steel for the smoother ride. Sure enough, there was less vibration, but oh the weight. I saved up my pennies for a carbon frame and better components. The most important feature to me was vibration reduction. I test rode a few brands and found the Roubaix Comp to be the smoothest and most solid bike out there. I can now crank up the tire pressure without sacrificing comfort. Did I mention how much easier the climbs are? What a difference. I'm not the leader of the pack, but at least I'm in the pack now. This bike has removed all of my equipment excuses. If I'm having trouble with a ride, it’s all on me. Ultegra components throughout most of the bike give me the confidence to push it hard. The 2013 has upgraded components over the 2012 and is cheaper. How can you go wrong?

Favorite Ride:   Monterey coastal

Similar Products Used:   Novara Divano
Raligh Clubman

Submitted by Lije Baley a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, incredibly quiet and responsive.

Weaknesses:    None observed in the its first 900 miles.

Bottom Line:
My last bike was a mid-70's Raleigh Grand Prix, which limits field of reference. I purchased a 2008 Roubaix Comp (Compact) that had gone unsold at my LBS for 4 years. The original Roubaix Pro tires had been replaced by All Condition Specialized Pro II tires. Everything else was original stock. The bike has been a sheer joy to ride from the start. The Ultegra RD and 105 FD, allow for smooth and accurate shifting. The SRAM OG-1070 11t-28t cassette has been sufficient for the few steep climbs I've tried. The (105) 50-34 chainring is sufficient for my cadence needs. Most of my cycling is on flat country roads. The Roubaix travels at 17-18 mph effortlessly for hours. As an out-of-shape cyclist, I was surprised how easy it was to do short bursts of 25-26 mph. (Not sure I've got the stamina to be in a pace-line running that speed all morning.) The 105 brakes are effective and have steadied my nerves in the few steep descents I've attempted. The BB is 105, as is the chainring, however the crankset is a Shimano R600, but seems fine to me, with my inexperience. Similarly, I've been happy with the RS-10 hubs and wheels ,although numerous internet postings have mentioned replacing the wheels early on. I'm not racing, so weight-loss of a pound or two is not important to me. I'd rather drop ten pounds off my frame.

All in all, I think I was fortunate to find this older bike at a reasonable price.

Submitted by Bob Montani a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, Responsiveness, Crispness of shifting.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Checked out Scott, Trek and Cannondale. Really liked the combination of comfort and performance the Roubiax offered. Changed the seat to a Toupe and added Williams 30 wheels and Maxxis ReFuse 25C tires. Really feel it is well dialed in now. Put about 300 miles on it so far.

Favorite Ride:   American Tobacco Trail

Purchased At:   Bicycle Chain

Similar Products Used:   This is my first road bike. In the past road MTB and Hybrids. (Trek and Giant)

Bike Setup:   Rival components, Toupe Seat, Williams 30 wheels.

Submitted by Joël a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, when you push it really goes, looks great.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2010 Roubaix Comp from my LBS in March 2010 for 2299 Euro's. Changed the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium SL, not going to change the 105's as i find for me they work just fine. I do lots of long distance races (over 10,000 km this year )and the bike is so very comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Roubaix Comp 2010 105 triple

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

2013 Roubaix Comp...holy crap!

Long time mountainbiker and shop employee while in college in the '90s. A few years ago I finally bit the bullet and decided to get a roadbike to get some fitness for offroad and have a little more time to ride. Picked up a mid '90s aluminum Mongoose on Ebay...nice bike, full Campy..perfect. Upgr ... Read More »

Tarmac SL4 Comp vs. Roubaix SL4 Comp

Hello everyone. I am about to buy one of these bikes soon. I am riding on 2009 Tarmac Expert bike with Ultegra 6700 parts now. I have 23mm wide Token C28A wheels and 24C Continental tires. I'm 180cm tall and 65kg. Roads I am riding are mostly hilly. Full of 3rd and 4th category climbs, strava s ... Read More »

2011 Roubaix Elite or 2008 Comp Compact?

I've been looking at this bike ([URL="http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/3985078691.html"]2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite[/URL]) and trying to figure out just what it is. I've contacted the seller and it's obvious that he isn't sure. I finally came across what I think is a match, [URL="http://www.spec ... Read More »

2011 Roubaix Comp compact

Went to the LBS and saw a 2011 Roubaix Comp compact with 105 group set for $1999. Talked to the staff for a while and did a test ride. I've never bought and ridden Specialized bikes befor, but I felt very comfortable as I'm 5'10" and the bike size is M (54cm). I'm sure Specialized makes great bi ... Read More »

What's my 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact Rival worth?

Had my ad up in the local CL for a while at $2k with no hits at all...am I asking too much? Bike is a 2011 Specialized Comp Compact Rival with a few upgrades - size 54 ~500 miles ridden. -105 pedals -Specialized Toupe Expert Plus 143mm saddle ~200 miles -50mm carbon clinchers from Nancy @ Ligh ... Read More »