Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple Road Bike

4.66/5 (50 Reviews)

• Lighter, stiffer, more vibration-damping FACT 6r carbon triple monocoque frame
  • Lighter, smoother shifting Shimano 105/Ultegra component group
  • Lighter, smooth-riding ALX 298R high performance wheelset

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by therugman a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    see review

Weaknesses:    see review

Bottom Line:
    Thought i would post my experience. I got into cycling 3 years ago ...purchased a mercier tri bike via ebay. ...decided to upgrade this year, did my research, did a few short test rides ...went with the specialized roubaix elite with compact double and 11/27 (we've got a lot of mountain routes in boulder, colorado). ...the bikes always feel good in the shop.

started to do my typical rides ...and things did not go well. it felt like i was towing my kids in the burley behind me. my quads were dying. i was dying. ok, i thought, maybe just a week or so getting used to bike ...

so i went back to the shop - made some fit adjustments ...tried the rides again - same result. friends dropping me like a bad habit, bonking ...etc. Out-of-shape friends dropping me! ...went to another shop - tried a few more adjustments - same results - dead tired, starting to not enjoy riding. getting worried because i signed up for the triple bypass in july and climbing was wiping me out -- even "short" climbs.

this continued ...took bike to my pro neighbor ...took bike to neighbor who makes bikes ...same result.

finally - gave up. 5 months of tinkering with little to no improvement. traded bike in at another local shop. this shop allowed me to test bikes on my local routes ...routes with 9+% grades etc.

First bike: specialized tarmac (maybe i just got a bad roubaix) ...well, i had the same feeling with the Tarmac - just dead and no spunk - no go.

next up Scott (Addict R1(out of my leauge), R2, CR1). when i got on some Scott bikes - YES - there's the feeling, there's the ease, there's the "pop". ...settled on the Scott Addict R2. did my normal rides ....13 minutes faster over 30 miles on the scott vs. roubaix. climbs: not dead, FRESH on the climbs. this is how it's supposed to be!

so - i just wanted to let folks know - that sometimes the geometry does not work. from what i've read - i might be the only guy out of a 1000 that the roubaix did not work for. who knows if it was geometry, stiffness, aggressiveness, whatever - it did not work but the scott does. movin' on and moving forward and liking biking again.

Favorite Ride:   Boulder County Routes - jamestown

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   see review

Bike Setup:   see review

Submitted by Alvie Perkins a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2010

Strengths:    The shifting of gears.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found

Bottom Line:
    Realy enjoy the carbon frame and the ease of shifting. It seems to handly great at speeds of 30 plus.

Favorite Ride:   oklahoma freewheel

Purchased At:   T-Towns bikes Tulsa,

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Submitted by bikebikebike a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    components.

Weaknesses:    none to speak of

Bottom Line:
    no real complaints about the bike. It's served me well. However, I'm getting more serious about racing so looking for something a bit swifter.

Favorite Ride:   77 loop

Purchased At:   Joe Jones, Portland,

Submitted by nwjeff a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth ride, smooth shifting, fun to ride

Weaknesses:    Wished I would have gotten a double instead of a triple, specialized seat uncomfortable (it hurt), wheelset

Bottom Line:
    This is for a 2004 Triple. Have been riding this bike for the last 5 years in SOCA and Seattle. Love the ride and am pleased with the bike. When I bought the bike I did not know much about cycling but talked with the shop and read some reviews.

This bike has been put through a lot from long rides to numerous crashes. Does great in traffic smooth and quick. I really like the looks of this bike silver and black and honestly am so glad I bought this bike when I did. One day will buy up but till that time am happy with this beautiful bike with a great ride.

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycles Fullert

Bike Setup:   Fizik seat, rol wheelset, Full Ultegra, Oval bar stem, contiental 6000 wheels

Submitted by scotterpop a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    -Road-noise eating full carbon
    -long-ride comfortable geometry
    -full Shimano 105

Weaknesses:    I don't have enough experience to claim any.

Bottom Line:
    First, this review is for a 2009 Compact Double.
    Second, you should know that I am 6'7" and weigh in at about 230 pounds, age 33. I hadn't ridden a bike much at all for 15 years when I started bike occasionally commuting on my late 80s mountain bike last year. So, I was out to improve my efficiency and enjoyment of riding by upgrading to a road bike.

This bike and the Wilier (also full carbon) both exhibited the fantastic road-smoothing feel of a full carbon bike, and I think I would have been happy with either one. I found the Wilier at the first bike shop I went to, and just wasn't ready to spend $2k+ on a bike yet.

The Trek models, and the Allez all felt squishy when I stood up and started cranking to get up to speed. Virtually all of them felt twitchy, and I could even feel the wheels flexing under me on the Treks.

The Trek 2.3 and Allez both would have been sufficient if I was more concerned about price and willing to feel every vibration in the road. However, the more I test rode these bikes (and others)...the more I realized a huge difference in power on the full carbon bikes.

In the end, I chose to spend more for a setup that had sufficient components that I wasn't concerned about them and a frame that absorbed the constant bump and vibration of my 11 mile commute.

A few specific choices involved:
    1) Components. I rode several bikes with Sora or Tiagra shifters, and the amount of play in the shifters before they engaged was just ridiculous. Once I test rode Sora, Tiagra and 105 back-to-back, I lost faith in the Sora and Tiagra components.

2) Power transfer. I have a fair bit of leverage and weight to throw into some pedal-mashing, and when I threw it into the full carbon bikes...they flew. I could literally feel the bike leap with each pedal stroke. On the other bikes, I could feel the frame (or even wheels) flex and drain the power before it got turned into speed.

3) Vibration damping. It's just no contest. Going to portions of carbon, and adding zerts (on the allez) definitely help. Going full carbon takes yet another leap in ride comfort. In this case, you absolutely get what you pay for.

4) Fit. I was concerned about being able to fit on a 61cm bike. I searched for over a month to find 63cm+ bikes to ride, and had to "settle" for riding 61 and 62 sizes.

Ultimately, I ended up on a 61, and it's just fine. I'm not past maximum extension for the seat or seat post, and the Roubaix just feels like a natural extension of me when I ride.

If you're a larger rider like me, the absolute best advice I can give you is to deal with a Local Bike Shop instead of a big chain. They'll spend more time helping you fit the bike for test rides and you'll then be able to truly judge the differences. The big chains will raise and lower the seat, but don't expect much more.

One final note. I did pass up a previous-year closeout on a 64cm Roubaix Expert because I didn't like the service at the shop that had it, and the 61cm Elite was $500 less (even after the 64 was on closeout!) and the fit works.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   LBS, Redmond, WA

Similar Products Used:   I rode: Trek 1.5(64cm) & 2.3(64cm), Wilier Mortirolo(61cm), Specialized Allez (61cm), and several others that were not memorable for various reasons

Bike Setup:   Stock Setup: full Shimano 105, though the Compact Double 50/34 crank is a "generic" Shimano identical to the 105. The bike itself is full carbon with zerts inserts and the newer s-shaped seat stays.

Wheelset Recommendation for Roubaix Elite Triple

Any suggestions for <350$ wheelset and hub for 2007 Roubaix Elite Triple Weight 165 Ride 10-30 mile, lots of hills, occasional dirt roads currently using stock mavic open sport /105 thank youRead More »

2007 Roubaix Elite Triple

I bought a 2009 Look and had 2010 Rival component's put on it and the bike is a great bike. I didn't think I needed my 2007 Roubaix anymore so I gave it to my son about a year ago. His back started giving him trouble so he just gave me the Roubaix back. I told him, lets play around with the fit a li ... Read More »

Which would you buy for about the same $ 2010 Roubaix Comp Triple or 2011 Elite Apex

Hi Moving this post from the general forum: Would love some educated opinions if possible. They can be had for similar money, and they both feel great. $200 more for the 2010 Comp that has 2010 Shimano 105 Triple group and Mavic Aksium Race wheels. What if you could get them for the same price ... Read More »

Which would you buy Specialized 2010 Roubaix Comp Triple or 2011 Roubaix Elite Apex

Would love some educated opinions if possible. They can be had for similar money, and they both feel great. $200 more for the 2010 Comp that has 2010 Shimano 105 Triple group and Mavic Aksium Race wheels. What if you could get them for the [I]same[/I] price, a true apples to apples comparison? Wh ... Read More »

Look Origin 566 vs Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple

I've had my Roubaix for 2 years now and it's a very nice bike. I rode the 566 yesterday and today and the bike really felt good. I don't know if that was because of a different ride, or it was that much better. Anyhow the Look had Rival and my Roubaix has 105 and I thought that the Rival was much be ... Read More »