Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact Road Bike

4.72/5 (18 Reviews)

The smoother, faster Roubaix SL3 features a super light and stiff FACT 10r carbon frame with our uniquely shaped, tapered head tube, In-Zertz vibration dampers and full internal cable routing—the same frame construction that won the grueling Paris-Roubaix race. The Expert features Shimano Ultegra compact drivetrain and our new DT-Axis 3.0 wheels for lower weight and higher performance.

Submitted by Tracie B a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is so comfortable, I cannot believe it. Everything is great.

Weaknesses:    Shifting is taking me some getting used to, I have had a triple in the past.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. What else can I say? I purchased it on Saturday and was riding on Monday. As a beginner, I usually fatigue easy, or at least I did when I was riding my Trek Madone 4.5, the worst bike out there for comfort. I rode 20 miles on Monday and had no fatigue whatsoever. I couldn't believe how great I felt. I have also had back issues on the Trek and although I still have some pain, it was minor in comparison. I am hoping my upcoming bike fit is going to solve that issue. I am going to attempt a half century this coming weekend on this beauty. I am in love!

Favorite Ride:   mixture of flat and hills

Purchased At:   Motion Makers in Ash

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone 4.5 WSD and Windsor Fens (both 52 cm)

Submitted by Devastazione

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light,stiff,looks good,feels solid,very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Internal cable routing issues,stock wheels are useless,a bit slow upon acceleration.

Bottom Line:
My first road bike and I know I would have been very satisfied by it. The bike looks good and you can ride it for hours without feeling tired at all. The oem bar position is way too comfy,it makes the bike feel like a cruiser,just get rid of a couple of spacers and you'll be ok. Shame on Specialized for not taking care of the well known internal cable routing issues that made the rear derailleur shifting a total disaster !!! I had to buy the the kit Specialized offers to fix the problem with my own money and I've replaced the lousy Jagwire cables with the Shimano SIS SP 41 Dura Ace ones aswell. The bike now shifts perfectly but that was 80 Euro extra out of my pocket.
Also,as of typical of Specialized on their mid end bikes wheels are usually crap and on this bike they were no excecption. Replaced them with a sets of Shimano Dura Ace c24 and the bike now flies.
I've been lately playing with the idea of upgrading to a Tarmac but honestly I love my Roubaix. She's a great performer,road buzz is kept to a minimum and the bike is capable of some serious speeds when asked to. Too bad the longer chainstays makes it a bit sloppy on acceleration but at least they payback is sharp,"safe" handling on fast turns.

Submitted by Jeff Thatcher

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2012

Strengths:    SL4 frame. Matte black, grey and powder blue finish. Ultegra groupset. New-style Zertz inserts.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels, tires and saddle (have replaced all three)

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 Compact. This is the third Roubaix I have owned -- all Experts -- (the others were 2007 and 2009 models) and is by far the best in terms of overall speed, cornering, weight, acceleration and looks. I also have a 2012 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 DI2 and was totally sold on the SL4 frame, so added the SL4 Roubaix Expert to my stable. I have not been disappointed in the least with my latest addition.

This model Roubaix is no longer a "comfort" bike; it's built for speed and agility. Hills are easy, flats are fast and corners require no braking whatsoever (that was not the case with my previous Roubaix models). I swapped out the heavy and sluggish stock wheels and tires (DT Swiss and Specialized) for Ksyrium Elites and Vittoria Rubino Pro 25 mm and also changed out the stock Specialized saddle for a Selle Italia Turbo Gel.

The SL4 frame is incredibly light and responsive. The matte black, grey and powder blue finish is perfectly understated. The new-style Zertz inserts soak up vibrations and look much classier than their predecessors. The Ultegra groupset with a compact 50/34 crankset completes this fine machine.

This is an excellent bike all the way around in terms of value and quality for the price point.

Submitted by missilistico a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    frame and groupset (with reservations)

Weaknesses:    wheels

Bottom Line:
my main previous ride was a giant defy advanced 3, full carbon with an alloy steerer. after four years, i traded up to the roubaix and felt like rip van winkle waking up to a new world. the precisoin, smoothness and most of all power transfer of the sl3 is astonishing. every inch of the pedal stroke is converted into forward motion. my giant defy was a good bike for its time, but it's a jalopy compared to this thing. tracks stable on the flats, and with a set of conti 4000s's and ksyrium elites on it the bike climbs like spiderman on drugs. it's a phenomenal machine.

Favorite Ride:   four mile canyon, boulder colorado

Purchased At:   bike habitat, brookl

Similar Products Used:   giant defy 3,

Submitted by Dave, Glendale, AZ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2012

Strengths:    Ultegra groupset, Toupe+ saddle, stiff BB/frame

Weaknesses:    DT Swiss wheelset

Bottom Line:
Been riding older Roubaix for few years, upgraded to SL3 for the stiffer frame. This model definitely has that, especially in the bottom bracket. Excellent power transfer for climbing/acceleration. Even with the stiffer frame, the bike still has a pretty compliant ride, but there is a bit of a trade-off. Short drop handlebars are comfortable, and the Specialized Toupe+ saddle is a nice surprise with the right chamois/shorts. Ultegra drivetrain has always been my fav, and the new 6700 group doesn't disappoint. The frame also seems to be pretty aerodynamic, as I downhill 2-3 MPH faster on this bike than my Scott CR1, but might be lower profile. Only disappointment is the wheelset, much rougher/slower/dead-feeling ride before swapping to my Shimano RS80 wheels. I demo'ed this bike overnight so knew that going in. Bottom line, this is a comfortable bike that can go very fast and isn't afraid of a climb. Its come a long way since my 2004 Comp, first year for carbon Roubaix.

Favorite Ride:   rolling hills and smooth road

Purchased At:   DNAcycles, Scottsdal