Specialized Ruby Expert Compact Womens Road Bike

• 50x34T chainrings
  • Roval Echappee wheelset

Submitted by Tzvia a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    It's smooth and fast. In 44cm the geometry is always a compromise- and I think Specialized did a good job of getting the feel right. While it feels stable, it is also light feeling and responds quickly.

Weaknesses:    Due to the small size, water bottles are a tight fit. I had to abandon my trusty Zefal HPX frame pump for a Topeak side mount pump to make room for the bottles. Not really the frames fault but the only weakness I could find.

Bottom Line:
It's the 2009 Model.
It was a crash-replacement and I chose the Expert frame over the Elite I had before. It is stiffer than the Elite and lighter. Being 5'2" makes it hard to find a bike that fits, but this Ruby in 44cm is a perfect fit. With 3T carbon bars and the Zerts inserts, road chatter buzz is reduced to a dull light thud. I can spend all day in the saddle and not feel beat up; and that means a lot to my 49 year old body. This bike wants to go fast and is a good blend of stable and responsive.

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was a Scapin SLX that I had for 20 years and the Ruby Elite that I had for 6 months before damaging it in a crash.

Bike Setup:   3T ARX Team stem, Ergonova Team bars 38cm. Dura Ace derailleurs and brakes, Ultregra SL shifters, Bontrager Inform RXL saddle. Velocity rims; CXray spokes 24fr,28r 2x; White Industries hubs, Vredstein Tricomp tires. 09 Rival compact crankset.

Submitted by garden10670 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2008

Strengths:    weight; looks

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
The Ruby exceeded my expectations in all categories. It looked elegant, rode smoothly, was light (probably allowed me to carry a few extra pounds!)

Every ride has been a pleasure.