Specialized S-Works E5 Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Specialized Mondo Pro

Submitted by Duke600

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Direct, responsive, light, stiff, comfortable, attractive, well finished, well manufactured

Bottom Line:
I am on my second frame as I managed to break the first coming back from the bike show. I also bought an S-Works Roubaix because of the break to this, but I had to find another one because it is just so good and this is the bike I choose to ride more often than not. It's a superb piece of engineering and I scour the sale sites regularly to buy more of them. I have never had an issue with the frame apart from cracking one and even with fairlyy robust 105 kit, as long as you choose good wheels (not expensive necessarily, but good), this frame is second to none. It's as light if not lighter than the majority of carbon frames but with good seatpost and good wheels, tracks perfectly, corners like it's on rails and is capable of being ridden all day every day if you are.

Submitted by Azaman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Super stiff, Lightweight, Good geometry, Very responsive

Weaknesses:    Couldn't find any...

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame second hand from a rider who is upgrading to a carbon frame. Bought it as a try out for an aluminum one as I am riding a steel Raleigh Record Sprint all the while. This is an incredible frame, I think I had made a good choice. The frame really delivers what I am looking for. It is a true racing machine... takes the corners at high speed like a dream, good acceleration rate on the sprint and makes climbing an effortless deal. I love this frame... very outstanding. »»-(¯`v´¯)-»

Favorite Ride:   Genting Sempah

Purchased At:   Online bike forum

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Record Sprint (steel frame)

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 groupset. Shimano WH-R500 wheelsets. Look Keo Sprint pedals. Thomson elite seatpost. Cinelli Groove stem & 3T 42cm dropbar.

Submitted by Tayler Bates a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, Stiff, Smooth handleing at high speeds, Exceptional cornering ability, Snappy acceleration.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This bicycle is a welcomed upgrade from my previous SR steel frame. Handles much better and has better acceleration than my buddies carbon TREK. This bike is very stiff and takes the corners at high speeds like a dream. Takes potholes very smoothly with no sudden jolts.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Berryessa

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Cafe

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 shifters and derailleurs, LOOK petals, Fuzion M1 wheel set, ITM handlebars, 3T stem, Continental ultra sport tires

Submitted by Jagstar a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Strengths:    Light, quick and responsive yet comfortable for the long haul.

Bottom Line:
This bike is stiff, light and very responsive. It will hold a very aggressive line and sprint on demand. My 52cm fits me like an extension. Climbing is sweet and "almost" feels effortless. The bike has been maintenance-free and shows no signs of slowing down. I've ridden it in triathlons as well as three to four centuries per year, all with no complaints.

Favorite Ride:   Gambler 100

Purchased At:   Georgia Cycle Sport

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tarmac Comp, Fuji Roubaix,

Bike Setup:   Full DA 7900, Ritchey Pro 90 Stem, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL for Tri and Zipp Team CSC for climbing

Submitted by DeweyT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff without beating you up, bullet proof anodized aluminum frame, excellent handling and riding frame.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
Purchase price is for frame & fork.

All of these reviews are older so I thought I’d key a newer one. I purchased this 2004 S-Works E5 frame on eBay in decent shape but needing some work. I wet sanded the dings out of the fork and put a couple of coats of clear lacquer on it. I took a stiff brush and some degreaser and cleaned all the little nooks and crannies on the Anodized Silver frame followed by a coat of wax on the frame and fork. I also installed a new headset.

The bike was built up with Sram Force 2010, a 2007 Specialized Seat Post w/ Zert insert, FSA K-Force Light compact handlebars, 3T ARX Pro stem, Dura Ace WH7850 C24 CL wheels, Dura Ace pedals and Vittoria Corsa Evo tires.

All I can say is this is aluminum done the right way. I love this bike. It’s not harsh in any way. Acceleration, road feedback and tracking at speed are all excellent. This was meant to be a secondary bike but I end up riding it as much as my primary bike. (Cervelo RS with Sram Red and 3T Cockpit.) If you're looking to build a backup or even primary ride, you can't go wrong with this frame.

Favorite Ride:   Smooth Roads/Light Winds