Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3 Compact Road Bike

The smoother, faster S-Works Roubaix SL3 features a super light and stiff FACT 10r carbon frame with our uniquely shaped, tapered head tube, In-Zertz vibration dampers, and full internal cable routing—the same frame that won the grueling Paris-Roubaix race; with Pro-Tour proven Dura-Ace components, Specialized SL FACT carbon cranks, and DT Tricon tubeless wheels.

Submitted by Ontrack a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Long wheelbase. Stiff mainframe. Fork/seat stay engineering.

Weaknesses:    Rear seat stays look a little odd.

Bottom Line:
I did not set out to buy a Roubaix, as I have always ridden straight race bikes. Plus I heard that the Roubaix was a little slow to respond to rider input and also not as responsive to pedal input. But I wanted a change so went for it anyway. After logging 2000klm on the Roubaix, I have to admit that I really like the way it rides. The taller front end means on standing climbs you can stretch out a lot more and loosen up compared to a standard race bike, also it means you get into the drops a lot more on the flat or descents. I cannot detect ANY lack of responsiveness, this bikes mainframe and seatstays are rock solid and put everything into forward movement. The handling is secure and it tracks really well. From my first ride I noticed that I crested and rolled over the top of climbs with a lot more speed than other bikes, maybe it is the longer wheelbase, not sure, but I really enjoy punching it over the top of climbs any chance I get. I tested a BMC granfondo as well, it felt similar to the Roubaix, but it just didn't grab me like the Roubaix....each to there own.

Favorite Ride:   Col de Azet

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Supersix, Merlin Extralite, Serotta Ottrot.

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Centaur, Zonda wheels, Vittoria tyres, 3T bars.