Specialized S-Works Roubaix Road Bike

4.88/5 (26 Reviews)

• S-Works FACT 9r carbon, triple monocoque construction, compact design, Zertz seatstay inserts
  • S-Works FACT carbon monocoque construction fork with Zertz inserts
  • S-Works Mindset headset, sealed bearings, carbon 20mm cone and two 5mm carbon spacers
  • High performance Shimano Dura-Ace drivetrain
  • Ultra light Dura-Ace SL wheelset
  • S-Works Roubaix, 700 x 23c tires with aramid bead
  • Super light Specialized Body Geometry Toupé saddle with hollow titanium rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by tim klingbeil a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    Very light, responsive, climbs like a monkey on fire, comfortable, doesn't rattle much when crossing wooden foot bridges (compared to other bikes I use), great paint/graphics, love the bar phat carbon handlebar, love the D/Ace, love everything about it.

Weaknesses:    I keep upgrading my other gear to match its superb quality.

Bottom Line:
    I really (really) enjoy this ride. Also helps that unknown persons yell 'nice bike' when I roll by. My LBS tech also commented 'hey nice rig man'. My previous bike was a hand built steel frame Burley full Campy which I loved but was stolen. The Roubaix is twice the bike, although hey, if I paid full retail it would be twice or three times the cost of the Burley. But I still can't say enough about the Roubaix. I'm not a racer or a techy, but ride 25mi a few times a week and 50-100 on wknds, with the odd fund-raiser century rides. Pelotonia Columbus Ohio every August (raised $8MM this year for cancer research)! So anyway I got lucky with this purchase - it's really way more bike than I need but love it the more because of it.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Roubaix S-Works Dura Ace2009

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Burley Pine Grove Campagnolo Veloce. Hand built steel frame, carbon forks, Mavic CXP wheelset.

Bike Setup:   FACT Carbon frame/fork, Dura Ace except for S-Works compact Crank, Mavic Ksyrium wheelset.

Submitted by zentih1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    The road smoothing ride without the disconnect of an overly plush bike. Even with all the features to smooth the ride and keep you fresh longer the bike is outright fast. Carves a clean line through corners and even with the slghtly longer wheelbase and longish chainstays the bike is very fast to accelerate. The s works frame is just amazing and at a complete weight of just 16 lbs is a wonder of engineering.

Weaknesses:    none found to date

Bottom Line:
    The best ride I have owned to date-hands down. Bought used from owner of LBS.I have not ridden anything that compares with the ride from both a speed and comfort standpoint.Silky smooth without the feeling of being disconnected from the road, just point it a go.

Purchased At:   LBS(owners ride)

Similar Products Used:   previous bikes owned include a Trek 1000 series and A Jamis Zenith Race.

Bike Setup:   S Works Roubaix frameset with full Ultegra Grouppo,Roval wheelset, Sella Italia flight Gel Flow saddle

Submitted by john cambroto a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2010

Strengths:    I am an over 220lb rider and the bike feels very good. Has great dimension's for long and rough riding roads, but it can keep up with the kids on the block during the short sprinys as well. It climbs like a billy goat.

Weaknesses:    Did I say I love this bike. amy weekness the bike may have had I addressed when hand picking the complimentary parts.
    NO WEEKNESSES!

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike! I have been riding a little over 1.5 years and I have owned 4-5 road bikes, includind a roubauix comp. I sold the comp and quickly regretted it since no other bike had this level of performance, comfort and looks. I bought the S-work frame, fork and crank from a gentleman upgrading to a 2009 S-works bike.
    I then hand picked the parts to compliment the bike for comfort and light weight hill climbing ability.
    I love this ride! Highly recommended

Favorite Ride:   Roubauix s-work

Purchased At:   locally

Similar Products Used:   Marin Argenta, Scott Carbon, 2006 Roubauix Comp, Lemond

Bike Setup:   S-work frame and fork, Mavic R-SYS wheels, Dura ace compact crank and running gear, Zero Gravity brakes, Syntace P6 seat post and F119 stem, Zipp SLC2 carbon bars and a Selle San Marco Aspire Superleggera saddle

Submitted by cslayton a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Hard to describe, stiff (to me) in the crank, but easy on the butt.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Note that the price I paid is for a used (2007) modulus (frame, fork, crank, seatpost, saddle), not the whole bike, so I cannot comment on a stock version of this bike. This was not sold to me with the Barmac setup.
    Stepping up from my daily commuter, the Roubaix Elite, I decided to treat myself for achieving some weight and distance goals. I plan to stay with the Elite for daily commuting, when I use a trunk or backpack, and reserve the SL for long weekend rides.
    After being diagnosed with diabetes, I was wondering if I had a true century left in me, since I kept bonking at abt 77 miles on previous attempts with the Elite. But with this bike, that changed. At just 15 lbs (without my Brooks Swift, tools, pump, and bottles), this machine took me 66 miles to the GA border from Weaver AL and back on Labor Day, and then a full century the following Saturday, for a real morale booster on only my 4th ride. Climbing and descending are exceptional, flat-out is so much lighter and stiffer than my Elite that the SL feels like a racing bike, and since I do not race, that it good enough for me.
    Comments about flex from other reviewers are meaningless to me, it flexes where I want it to and not where I don't.

The Toupe saddle is fine for my 20-mile round daily commute, but after 30 miles, numbness set in, so I used the Brooks for my century. I weigh abt 170, so the Toupe would probably be ideal if I were a little more ideal. I have liked my previous Avatars and Aliases, but I am somewhat old-fashioned when it comes to saddles.
    I replaced the oversized bearings with ceramics since I wanted the experience to seem as “New” as I could make it, and the wrench had a 3 hour job unscrewing the crank, but that, and replacing the spider with a 2008 model, were all that I had done. I have a full-size crankset in reserve for when I am as big and fast at Tom Boonen, so it may never leave my shelf, but I live in hope.
    I highly recommend this model to anyone wanting about the best that you can get. I have never paid an MSRP for any bicycle, so caveat emptor if you are looking on eBay, but I suspect that had I bought it new at ca $5000 I would be just as happy with it. As it was, I have only about a total of $1800 in it, because of eBay wheeling and dealing.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Roubaix Elite

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Centaur/Chorus/Record mix, S-Works Compact 172.5, Campagnolo Record D Skeleton brakes, Neuvation R28 SL3 wheels, FSA OS 99 stem, S-Works carbon bars, Specialized Toupe/Brooks Swift saddles, Speedplay X1, Michelin Lithion tires, Arundel cages

Submitted by Frankpr a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Strengths:    Track well, very nice ride all day and long distances bike at good speed.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest, what you get in comfort you loose-it on top speed side and a little at cruising speed.

Bottom Line:
    This is the most comfortable bike Ive ever tried yet. Had issues with headset(bottom bearing loose) & original seatpost(slipping and cracking) a chance that I have technical knowledge to resolve these issues. Beside that, this bike track like crazy going curvy downhill. Going uphill it is good but not the best I had to keep the momentum. On flats this bike will never and will not be my fastest choice because when you power stroke-it to maintain your top speed there is to much vertical power loss (3 to 4 mph less)and a flexy seatpost. This bike is more for the cruising speed of a century. You can ride all day long with this bike to built up you endurance. If you planned to get this bike as a race fit you might be deceived because frame size have the strenght to go with the average rider's weight and height or you may end up with power loss. Well this is my conclusion about-it after 3000 miles. The real advantage comes on bad roads where you will maintain your speed compare to quicker/stiffer bike frame. By the way that frame have a stiff BB and no flexy front end but vertically...

Favorite Ride:   Most of everything

Purchased At:   I built the bike

Similar Products Used:   None, this bike is on a specific category but I had Pinarello, Bianchi, Specialized Tarmac, Fondriest Top level (fast!!!), Fondriest Carb level plus (very well balanced). Look 585 and 595(excellent).

Bike Setup:   Dura ace group 39/53-12/25, 175mm crank. look keo hm titanium pedals. WCS stem & handlebar. Toupe 143 saddle. Easton Tempest2 wheels on Conti attack/force tire.