Specialized S-Works Tarmac E5 Road Bike

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

• Specialized carbon fiber monocoque carbon with E5 hand-welded double butted frame with replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Specialized S-Works carbon fork with carbon steerer
  • Shimano Dura-Ace 10-speed complete group
  • Mavic Ksyrium SSL wheelset with S-Works Mondo SL 700x23c tires
  • Specialized full carbon 130g stem matched with Specialized carbon fiber 230g handlebars

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Michael a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Strengths:    Lightning fast, stiff, sex appeal.

Weaknesses:    I really can't find any. Somebody else pointed out that their clearcoat chipped, so did mine.

Bottom Line:
    If you want a truly fast and stiff frame, look no further. I thought that I had ridden fast bikes in the past (friends bikes and LBS demos) but nothing I have ever ridden compares to this frame. When I use to mountain bike I had a Specialized M2 frame with bladed crossmax wheels and lots of carbon. It was an amazingly quick/fast bike that could climb like a billy goat. This bike reminds of that one. It's a shame that Specialized doesn't make this frame anymore. At 180lbs I get flex with full carbon bikes. With the E5 lower this is stiff enough for even my weight.

It's absolutely gorgeous. People compliment me on it regularly. It really is a beauty!

Favorite Ride:   local mountains

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized E5 and Tarmac SL2

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra SL group minus the wheels, Easton EC90 SLX tubulars with Conti 4000’s, ITM K Sword bars, stem, & seat post, Specialized matrix fork, Selle SMP Evolution seat, Look CX-6 pedals.

Submitted by Sprocketboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Distinctive appearance; very stiff bottom bracket; accelerates very rapidly; ideal climbing bike

Weaknesses:    None obvious after two years of serious riding; at first glance looks too much like cheaper Tarmacs!

Bottom Line:
    This is the ultimate bike: light, stiff, smooth and suprisingly comfortable. It made me a better descender and improved climber. I have ridden the bike over 12 passes in the French Alps and wished it would never end.

Favorite Ride:   The Swiss Alps

Purchased At:   On-line

Similar Products Used:   LeMond Maillot Jaune

Bike Setup:   All Dura-Ace, including wheelset for tubeless tires, but using Shimano compact crankset; Specialized S-Works carbon stem and bars; Fizik Aerione saddle; Speedplay pedals. Garmin GPS

Submitted by GregC a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Strengths:    Handles like a dream, stiff as can be, and just a whole lot of fun to ride. It's awesome in a sprint and does just as well in a solo break.

Weaknesses:    They don't make this anymore.

It might be a little heavy, but I'll give away the extra pound in most races.

I guess they could have done a better job on the bearings in the headset, but they're not so bad to replace.

Bottom Line:
    The best bike specialized ever built. And yes, I have ridden most all of the top end racing bikes. I have newer and lighter bikes, but none are as much fun to ride as this one. I'll never sell this frame.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Generation

Similar Products Used:   Tarmac SL

Bike Setup:   dura ace, ksryium es

Submitted by artiemeister a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Super fast and responsive. Handles real well and sexy as hell.

Weaknesses:    There's always a chance of the 2 frames coming apart. Mine was a totalled as a result of the separation.

Bottom Line:
    I got the frame as part of a promotion and swapped out my Tarmac Comp. The e5 is a beast. I was really blown away by the acceleration and the precise handling. Surprisingly comfortable for a bike this stiff. I've done a few local crits and a lot of fast riding up and down the beautiful Florida coast. This thing flies.

Now for the bad news: The frame came apart at the head tube where the two frames are fused. This is not only dissapointing but it's dangerous. The bike is all over the road once this seperation occurs.

I'm bummed because I really love this bike, My LBS offered a full replacement at no cost. It could happen again so I decided to get an S Works Tarmac SL frame for a couple of hundred bucks more. They are buldiing it up this week.

Favorite Ride:   A1A

Purchased At:   Bigwheel

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace/Ultegra Drivetrain, Spinergy Stealth SS wheels, Michelin prorace2 tyres, Selle Italia SLR saddle. Look pedals.

Submitted by basho a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2006

Strengths:    --Acceleration

--Response

--Climbing

--Looks

--Road feel

--Fun factor!

--not unreasonable price point and package bike is nicely set up

--terrrific finish

--what else is there?

Weaknesses:    --um.........well........um......if i dont win I cant blame my bike?

--not bad but not the perfect comfort/century distance bike (its not supposed to be)

--perhaps its time for specialized to change the paint scheme?

--short stays/geometry mean fast handling, not necessarily a weakness, just a trait

--short headtube is also not made for comfort riding

--you can't whack it with a hammer and still ride it like you can a ti bike.

--no real weaknesses

Bottom Line:
    The most fun the law will allow.

This review is for the s-works tarmac E5.

A deal on a frame came up, so I swapped out my old race frame. Boy, am I glad i did!

The Tarmac E5 is incredibly responsive. It handles with great agility. The frame stiffness is fantastic without being uncomfortable. the speed is remarkable.

The fusion of aluminium and carbon makes sense. And the carbon is conveniently out of the way of stray rocks.

The frame stiffness is felt as a surge forward whenever you push. This means you end up riding the bike faster and faster...it just wants to GO. This means the ride is super fun even when you work really hard, although you may work really hard....

The bike is a no-compromises race bike, and yet it is not so uncomfortable that you will not feel like riding it all the time. I rode the carbon s-works tarmac last fall and thought that it too was a terrific bike. probably just a little less crazy edgy, but more than fast enough, and probably a little more comfortable over distance. The choice is difficult--it depends on your preferences. Or the deal. Or the sizing for you.

Specialized has succeeded in making a race bike basically as good as anything out there. I am impressed (and excited) everytime I climb abord.

I love the way it looks too (now!). And why not feel like a kid at christmas every day?

Very high recommendation. An excellent balance of response, stiffness, looks, price etc.

The tubular tires I use also make the ride smoother, I should mention.

The Tarmac E5's finish is better than the scott cr1's, which felt cheap. the look 585, the ti bikes and the c40 were not as stiff. The only bike I have ridden which I think is as good overall is the ridley damocles, which is just differently amazing. I have not ridden the cervelo carbon soloist yet, which I suspect is quite good too.

My own opinion is that carbon fabrication may spell trouble for the small frame makers. When the big shops can use technology to make something this good, for many people there is really no reason to pay more for something which is basically slower. Other than misplaced snob appeal. Or durability..if you are not a racer a handmade titanium last-forever bike still makes a lot of sense.

Favorite Ride:   any day/place I can ride in shorts

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   ridley damocles (also a 5 star bike, just as good but different). Colnago c40, Basso zero.9, seven axiom ti, serotta legend ti, look 585 and 296 (tested), scott cr1 (tested), giant tcr advanced (tested), orbea onix (tested), paramounts, IF's and assorted custom steel.

Bike Setup:   shimano cranks, brakes, bb, campy shifting. ksyrium sl tubular with tufo s3 lite tires, selle smp evolution (recommended).