Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2 Dura-Ace Road Bike

• Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace, 10-speed, 11-28t
  • Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace, 10-speed

Submitted by John a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2010

Strengths:    Super Crazy Light weight yet Stiff in all the right places with just enough shock absorbing qualities. This bike basically is the blueprint for how a super high end racing bike should perform! The most noticeable part is how confident the handling is!

Weaknesses:    Expensive...had to break into my kids college funds, but what the heck they are always studend loans! My only fear with the bike is that the bike is very lean with very thin clear coat. I added some 3M protective film under the downtube but already had one rock chip on the drive side stay!

Bottom Line:
2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2 (Carbon/Red) with SRAM Red. This was a bike I had been eyeing for some time while I was riding on my 08 Tarmac Pro with Dura-Ace. I liked the Pro SL but it was the softer 8R and less dominate tube lay up from earlier version Tarmac. One Ride and my mind was made up on the SL2. The SRAM took a little adjustment after riding Shimano Dura Ace for the past 15 years! This bike is stock except it was fitted with Mavic Ksirium SL in all black! I have found myself focused on climbing and sprinting with the front group once again!

Favorite Ride:   Saturday Canyon Ride

Purchased At:   Rock-N-Road Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   08 Tarmac SL Pro, Calfee Tetra Pro, S-Works Tarmac E5, S-Works E5

Submitted by biobanker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff stiff stiff and light light light. The 7900 Dura Ace stuff is amazing.

Weaknesses:    It isnt cheap! No weaknesses found yet, but only one ride.

Bottom Line:
2009 Tarmac SL2 Saxo Bank

Wow - just one ride in and Im in awe of this bike. Im coming from an 8r frame Tarmac with Ultegra on it, which is a great bike too and has the same geometry (so I knew how it would handle), but Im shocked at how well this SL2 goes. It just goes and goes and goes. I found that I was hanging with the guys who normally start to pull on me on the bumps and the gap was just a bit easier to close.

I sold the Zipp 404s that came on the bike before riding them and stuck with my Dura Ace C50 tubulars.

TIP: I like a tighter fit so Ive stuck with the same 52cm I had on the previous bike. Im 5'9 with 31 inch inseam. Works well for me even though every bike shop (except the one smart one) steered me to a 54. The tarmacs are longer than they are high, and it works for me.

Favorite Ride:   Donut Ride