Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 SRAM Road Bike

After three consecutive victories in the Tour of Flanders, the Tarmac went on to win the 2010 Tour de France. Like the team bikes of Saxo Bank-Sungaard and Team Astana, this SL3 is ready to race with SRAM RED.

Submitted by Jesse James a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fantastic racing bike! Corners like a Tron cycle, climbs like an angel, bombs down twisty hills like a Moto GP pro, just a great great great all around racer! Pedals put the power right down to the ground. Super tough...even for my 240 lbs frame. This bike just rocks.

Weaknesses:    Stiff. You feel every crack in the road directly in your back. But if you want this much power transfer, that's pretty much how it's gonna be at the top level racer rides.

Bottom Line:
If you want to know what if feels like to ride a real pro level bike that has a long history of cutting it's teeth at the great grand tours, one day races and the such...ride this bike.

As a note...mine came with Zipp 303 tubulars...not the Roval standard hoops. 14.3 lbs, size large, with 7800 spd pedals.

5000 miles ridden on it thus far this season

Favorite Ride:   High Grade

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR Advanced 0, Paketa Scud

Bike Setup:   2011 SL3 frame, SRAM Red, S-works crank/stem/post, Zipp 303 Tubular

Submitted by Andrew a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light but Stiff. Fast, Agile and Compliant.

Weaknesses:    I wish I got the OSBB.

Bottom Line:
Light but Stiff. Fast, Agile and Compliant. This is my second bike and I used it occationally when I do 80 miles to century rides or climbing. This bike is very responsive. It is compatible with all the wheelsets I own, 404, dt swiss or easton.

Favorite Ride:   SoCAL road, mountains

Purchased At:   LBS (frame), Other p

Similar Products Used:   2008 Orbea Orca with full DA 7900 group

Bike Setup:   Sram Red Group compact with 11-28 with Ceramic BB.
Easton carbon clincher wheelset (ceramic bearings) or DT Swiss RRC32 tubular wheelset.
Specialized toupe 143 Saddle
Ritchey WCS carbon stem
Zipp Contour SL handle bar.
Fizik 2 tone Bar Tape
Speedplay Zero, Stainless.
S-works Seatpost with zerts
Carbon cages

Submitted by terminus123 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    Super stiff BB, and incredibly compliant for an all out race bike. The Matte black frame looks very stealthy like a real "Skunk works" project. Cheap if compare it to other company's "flagship" frames that are in the $4000-$6000 range.

Weaknesses:    Top tube is unusually long in all sizes. The 2010 seat tube the comes with it does not fit oversized carbon rails.

Bottom Line:
Amazing ride, super stiff in the BB area, and tracks like a dream. Very compliant for a racing bike and looks awesome to boot. I ride a 54cm matte black and the frame weighed 850grams. Only problem is the top tube is slightly longer than normal, probably for a more "racing geometry".

Favorite Ride:   Anything with climbs

Purchased At:   Cynergy Cycles

Bike Setup:   Sram Red with S-works BB30 crankset
Reynolds Solitude
3T Components

Submitted by DSzweda a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    -Great handling
-Super stiff
-Very smooth
-Tracks Straight

Weaknesses:    There really are no weaknesses that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the greatest performance bikes that I have ever ridden. It is extremely quick handling, but without any twitchiness. It tracks super straight even at 40+ mph, yet when needed can take corners at blinding speed. Even though it is very stiff, somehow the engineers have made it very complaint. It doesn't beat you up. This is truly a truly stellar frame for competitive riding. I have tried many, and none of them get it just right, like the SL3.

Favorite Ride:   2010 Specialized Tarmac SL3

Bike Setup:   S-Works BB30 Crank
SRAM Red Components
Mavic Aksium Wheels
FSA Stem/handlebars
Specialized Toupe seat

Submitted by GaryB a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    * Handling - holds lines better than anything I have tried so far. This is true even at speed (50+).
* Stiff - No matter what I through at it, it responds by asking for more. I have not done an all sprint on the bike yet, but I know it will handle it with no issue.
* Arrow - I did not realize how anti-arrow I was on my previous bike since I am flying on the flats and downs now. Huge difference in this area.
* Smooth - Did a 4 hour ride on it yesterday and it did not beat me up at all. Is it the smoothest ride I have ever done, no but good enough.

Weaknesses:    * Brakes - I think the pads need to be upgraded, but still seeing if it just needs to break in. I like to come in fast into a turn and break hard. Currently do not have the stopping power to do this.
* Keeping it clean - It is just an amazing looking bike when it is clean so you are constantly wiping it down.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2010 S-Works Tarmac SL3 with Red group. I was looking for a supper light, stiff, and great handling bike to use for century rides and road racing and found it with the Tarmac. This bike does it all.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride that includes a good climb

Purchased At:   Rock N' Road

Similar Products Used:   I test road the Cervelo R3SL, Connondale, and Colnogo and liked the overall experience with the Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the Red group. I may change out the wheels since they are a little heavier than I would like, but for now they are performing quite well.