Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 Road Bike

Whether it's winning the Tour de France or a local crit, the next generation of Tarmac—the SL4—was born to race, with head-snapping acceleration and razor-sharp handling. The S-Works model features our lightest and stiffest frame ever, fast, precise Shimano Di2 electronic components, and Roval Fusée SLX wheels: no wonder it's the go-to bike for pros on HTC-Highroad.

Submitted by tsupshaw

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    stiffness, compliance, acceleration

Weaknesses:    net as pretty as an italian frame

Bottom Line:
Forget EPO, Growth Hormone, and Testosterone! Want to get some real time improvements in performance? Get a Specialized Tarmac and watch all your PRs appear every time you ride!

Submitted by Hermank

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2012

Strengths:    stiffness, comfort,responsiveness

Weaknesses:    too many logos

Bottom Line:
I weigh 210 pounds and do a 30 to 50km, balls-to-the-wall ride 6 days a week. I purchased this bike 6 weeks ago as my Colnago Extreme Power was too flexy and had serious brake rub when climbing. Not a problem with this bike. And I cannot believe how smooth it is, given its lateral stiffness. Centuries are a treat. The steering is fast but not twitchy, allowing for quick changes in direction with full confidence. My LBS (La Bicicletta in Toronto) recommended the Shimano crankset as it is stiffer than the Specialized. I also put Mavic Carbone Ultimates on it in place of the Rovals. But I feel like I should be sponsored by the manufacturer as the bike has well over 20 logos (S-works, Specialized, S). Much better climber than the Colnago and far, far faster. I have trimmed an astounding 3:12 off of a 49 minute rolling hill ride. The Colnago was like a mistress. Loved to clean and polish and look at it and all that. The S-works Tarmac is just a finely-tuned, virtuallv-perfect cold-blooded stage racer.

Submitted by MartyL

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Stiffness, performance and weight.

Bottom Line:
Better than I could have imagined. A climbing bike that is still very comfortable, yet very responsive...like a BMW. Love the DA Di2's smooth and accurate shifting although not as responsive as its mechanical rivals. Sexy looks to boot.