Specialized Sequoia Elite Road Bike

4.7/5 (27 Reviews)

• Lighter Specialized E5 Columbus SLX frame with vibration-damping FACT carbon seatstays and Zertz inserts
  • FACT carbon fork with lighter 7075 alloy steerer with low rider fittings
  • Lighter, smoother shifting Shimano 105 9-speed component group
  • Lighter Sugino Direct Drive 2-piece crankset with 50x39x30T chainrings
  • Shimano SPD 505 clipless pedals provide better pedaling efficiency
  • Lighter Specialized Pavè II FACT carbon seatpost with Zertz insert

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Linda

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable ride; lightweight,

Weaknesses:    seat, pedals, brakes

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike in January 2009 after test riding over a dozen other brands - nothing compared to the Sequoia. Before leaving the store, I upgraded to the women's Dolce seat and clipless pedals. I shortly changed the brakes out because the original ones were terrible. I now have nearly 15,000 miles (yes that is correct) and have gone through numerous sets of tires, chains and other wearable parts. I wanted more speed out of it so I had them change out the big ring to a really big ring. This bike is made for riding - I have done a century ride on it and hundreds of half-century rides nearly every week. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Brandon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    less than 20 lbs. very nimble and has interupter brakes

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    great entry level road bike also a great clyde bike.

Favorite Ride:   2008 Special Sequoia Elite

Purchased At:   Bikers Choice

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh

Bike Setup:   FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, fully manipulated tubing, compact design, FACT carbon seatstays w/ Zertz inserts
    FORK Specialized FACT carbon steerer and fork legs w/ Zertz inserts, alloy crown
    HEADSET Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed bearings, alloy 20mm cone w/ one 10mm and two 5mm alloy spacers
    STEM Specialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt 31.8mm bar clamp, 4-position adjustable
    HANDLEBARS Specialized Zertz Comp, 6061 alloy, Zertz damper, short-reach drop, ergonomic top shaping, 31.8mm
    TAPE/GRIPS Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/ 2.5mm gel padding
    FRONT BRAKE Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads
    REAR BRAKE Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads
    BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI, flight deck compatible w/ brake lever extensions
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, long cage
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI
    CASSETTE FREEWHEEL SRAM PG-950, 9-speed 11-28t
    CHAIN Shimano HG73, 9-speed
    CRANKSET Shimano Tiagra, 2-piece crankset
    CHAINRINGS 50x39x30T
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Tiagra, Hollowtech II
    PEDALS Composite body, alloy cage w/ toe clips and straps
    RIMS Alex AS1, alloy triple wall, machined sidewalls w/ indicator grooves
    FRONT HUB Specialized forged alloy, 24 hole, double sealed bearings, straight pull spokes, QR
    REAR HUB Specialized forged alloy, 28 hole, double sealed bearings, straight pull spokes, cassette, QR
    SPOKES Stainless 14g, straight-pull
    FRONT TIRE Specialized All Condition Sport, 700x25c, wire bead, 60TPI w/ Flak Jacket
    REAR TIRE Specialized All Condition Sport, 700x25c, wire bead, 60TPI w/ Flak Jacket replaced to Specialized All Condition Armadillo, 700x25c
    TUBES Specialized standard presta tube
    SADDLE Body Geometry Sonoma, 155mm width
    SEAT POST Specialized Pavé II, FACT carbon w/ Zertz insert, aluminum head, 27.2mm
    SEAT BINDER Specialized CNC, alloy, 31.8mm clamp
    NOTES Chain stay protector, chain catcher, derailleur hanger, clear coat, owners manual
    Size 56
    Crank Length 175mm
    Seat-Post Length 350mm

Submitted by James Hainen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    A comfortable soft ride.

Bottom Line:
    I have biked over 25,000 miles on my Sequoia and it is as good today as it was when it was new. It is has biked rural Russia and many other places. Having the dual brake handles is a wonderful plus and I highly recommend it to anyone. The Sequoia is an all around bike go for roadies and touring people.

Similar Products Used:   Giant.

Bike Setup:   Conventional with dual handle brakes.

Submitted by Wendell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, balance, front fork.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat could be better - it's ok if you ride less than 30 km, but gets a bit uncomfortable after that.

Bottom Line:
    I moved from a heavy 15 year old hybrid bike that was very heavy, and very hard to keep at speed. I purchased this a year ago and have been ecstatic with my purchase. I was looking at the Giant OCR 1 as a comparison, but the deal I got on the Sequoia made it impossible to pass up. The only upgrade I have is a pair of Nashbar Ventoux 2 pedals. I ride 25-40 km rides at a time, 3 or 4 times a week. This bike is perfect for my needs.

The price noted above is CDN $ - the Giant OCR was 799 CDN at the time I purchased this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Sequioa

Purchased At:   Tommy & Lefebvre

Submitted by cycler a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    It's better than a hybrid.

Weaknesses:    The parts are not great quality to put it mildly.

Bottom Line:
    I did not have the choice for 2004. I now have my bike slightly more than 3 years. The only original part is the frame. Every part has been replaced. Now I am told that the shifters are wearing and it will cost 750 to fix my bike. More than 1/2 of the original cost.

Bike Manual Help--2005 Specialized Sequoia Elite

If I want to get my hands on an owner's manual for a 2005 Specialized Sequoia Elite, where would I go?Read More »

2008 Sequoia Elite for $700. Is this a good price?

I just started riding again after way too many years. I bought an old mid 80's aluminum Cannondale, but cracked it up and it is not worth putting a couple of hundred bucks into it, so am looking for a new bike. I came across a used (not too used) 2008 Sequoia Elite for $700. Is this a good buy, o ... Read More »

2007 Sequoia Elite

This is just a heads up on the cranks on the 2007 Sequioa Elite. Apparently there is an issue with the left crank (Sugino) falling off. It just happened to me with less than 50 miles on the bike. A very large distributer where I bought my bike has told me they have seen 3 fail from that model year, ... Read More »

Comparing Specialized Sequoia Elite to Bianchi Volpe

I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a road bike, and right now the two main finalists seem to be the Specialized Sequoia Elite and the Bianchi Volpe. I want something that will be capable (eventually) of medium-duty touring, but I don't think I want to get a full-on heavy touring bike beca ... Read More »

Trek Pilot 2.1 vs. Specialized Sequoia Elite

I am getting ready to purchase my first "modern" road bike at the age of 60 (got a Schwinn when I turned 40 but it is long gone). I am a former runner and mt. biker who is going to hit the open highway for rides of between 25-50 miles with the goal of doing a century ride within a year. I want a mor ... Read More »