Specialized Sequoia Pro Road Bike

Frame Material: aluminum/carbon fiber
Frame Angles: 72.0 head, 74.0 seat
Sizes: xsmall, small, medium, large, xlarge
Colors: Brushed
Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 26c Specialized All Conditions Spo

Submitted by David Machen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have a Pro. Excellent bike. I have ridden the bike for more than eight hours on mountainous terrain and not felt overly beat up. I can trust the bike on fast turning descents.

Favorite Ride:   Geiger grade loop

Purchased At:   Moe's Bike Shop

Submitted by Jeff Fullerton a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2005

Strengths:    stable handling, comfortable position, smooth ride, not a racing bike

Weaknesses:    not a racing bike

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's very smooth, and I can ride fast all day and not feel beat up. I do group rides of 70-100 miles at a pretty good pace (~30 km/hr), and while most members of the group ride high-end racing/tri bikes I don't feel at a disadvantage in terms of performance.

I appreciate the ability to mount fenders, and the longer chain stays and long-reach brakes allow this.

Handling is very stable. I can confidently ride without hands, and feel secure on fast descents.

The only thing I'm thinking of changing is the adjustable handelbar stem - I did make several adjustments as I became more comfortable on the bike, but I think a fixed stem would be a bit stiffer.

I like the All Conditions Pro 25C tires, and suspect that they're partly responsible for the ride quality.

When I was ordering the bike I opted for the Comp over the Elite, mostly because I wanted the Shimano wheels and the carbon seat post, and because the dealer offered a good deal on the Comp. After a foul up with the distributer I was offered the Pro at a small premium, and so got a great deal on a bike that was higher spec'd than I had originally wanted.

The D-A components work perfectly, but are probably overkill on this type of bike. The wheels are now a bit out of true after about 1,000 miles, but I haven't babied them, and I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 230 lbs.

I was skeptical about the extra brake levers, but I find that they're nice when riding in the city or when riding slowly in a group. I think I'd miss them now.

This bike came with a Telluride seat which I've been happy with.

I think for riders who want stability and comfort and the ability to mount fenders and racks while still getting great performance the Sequoia is a fine choice.

Purchased At:   All Seasons

Similar Products Used:   My first road bike since the ten-speeds of 25 years ago. My wife has a couple of Cannondale road bikes, and I've been commuting on mountain/hybrid bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock - Dura-Ace shifters and derailleurs, Shimano R540 wheelset, Ultegra long-reach brakes, FSA carbon crank. I added Planet Bicycle plastic fenders.

Selection: Specialized Sequoia Pro

Forgive me if this post is not correct. I am writing for help picking out bikes for 50 year olds. I have a Specialized Sequoia Pro, which is no longer offered. I am looking for something similar, perhaps not as nice, for my wife. She will join me on occassional rides. She is around 5'8" and 1 ... Read More »