Specialized Tarmac Comp Double Road Bike

• Shimano Ultegra, short cage rear derailluer
  • SRAM OG-1070 cassette, 10-speed 11-28t

Submitted by JetLastrilla a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    I ride a Cervelo P2C and decided on getting a road bike to change it up a bit. I am a huge Cervelo fan and had bad experiences with 105 grouppo in the past. I have nothing bad to say about this bike! It is stiff and comfortable. The bars feel a bit wide for me, but have gotten used to it. The components perform well and this bike goes where and how you tell it to! The Specialized Toupe saddle is amazing as well. Did 3 hours on the first ride and it was all good! My Cervelo is now a sport specific bike and is taking a nap for winter. This is one of the best bike purchases I have made!

Weaknesses:    The wheelset is a bit heavy, but what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
2009 Comp Double all 105. Great bike! It is fast, solid, stiff and comfortable. What more could you ask for. A lot of bike for not so much money. Few will need to upgrade this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Lilac Loop

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo P2C, Giant TCR carbon, Fuji Roubaix pro

Bike Setup:   2009 Model year; Stock 105 and wheels

Submitted by sijray21 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Strengths:    stable, responsive, adjustable, relatively comfortable, and price/value. this bike just feels very quick and has a lot of adjustments in the seat post and in the stem to allow you to be fit properly onto the bike. the component group (Ultegra/105 mix) is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Wheels. I do not like the Shimano RS-10s at all as i have broken 2 spokes on the drive-side of the rear wheel (probably due to improper tensioning from the factory). Note: apparently these spokes are hard to get from Shimano if your LBS does not have them in-stock. Rear Cassette has a pretty big range. If you're not too concerned about the hills with a standard crank then switching to a 12-25T would be advised.

Bottom Line:
2008 Tarmac Comp Double. Whether you're an entry-level cat5 hopeful or an active recreational rider that would like performance out of their bicycle, this bike is for you. The value you get from the frameset and the components used is pretty hard to beat, especially if you get a year-end deal - this was my case as i bought this bike in June of 2009 and have put a little over 1600 miles since.

Favorite Ride:   WO&D, Custis, and any open roads with few cars

Purchased At:   Spokes Etc.

Similar Products Used:   2009 Specialized Allez Elite, 2009 Felt F75, 2009 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6, 2009 Gary Fisher Arc Super

Bike Setup:   my stock Tarmc Comp Double came from the LBS (no upgrades) with Ultegra Shifters/Brake Levers, Ultegra Rear Derailleur, 105 Brakes, 105 Crank/BB, 105 Front Derailleur, SRAM OG-1070 11-28T cassette

Submitted by b_rowell717 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, accelerates like a champ, smooth enough for long rides, stiff enough for racing. rides on rails when descending, very twitchy and very aggressive. Heavy wheels makes racing wheels feel like toothpicks. helps to not be a weight weenie, either. solid as a rock. Shimano RS-10 wheels are indestructible- my guess is they are made of adimantium. Smashed a curb at night commuting from class on it going about 18 and didn't even need truing. i did need an ice pack for my junk, though.

Weaknesses:    heavy wheels (my bike was 19.5 before i installed EC90 crankset and ceramic BB). it effectively knocked off 1 lb. of weight from my bike. with a set of 303s it weighs 16.5 lbs which is more than enough for me.

Bottom Line:
2008 Tarmac Comp. Shimano 105/Ultegra mix, Easton EC90 crankset and ceramic BB. orange and blue (by far the coolest and possibly rarest color scheme the Tarmac ever had). 52cm with a 1900+ gram wheelset. Rider weight 150
2800 miles on it this season. its Definitely more than I need to race on

Favorite Ride:   Old Military/ Jasper Disaster

Purchased At:   The Ride

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez, Kuota Kharma, Specialized Roubaix, Litespeed Archon

Bike Setup:   08 52cm Orange and Blue Tarmac Comp. Easton EC90 Crankset and EC90 Ceramic BB. Shimano RS-10 wheels, and 105 shifters/ brakes, ultegra front and rear derailleur

2011 Cervelo RS or 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp Double 105???

Hey everyone, I cant seem to make up my mind... I am looking to make a purchase in the next few weeks and was looking to gain some insight. Here are the stats... The two bikes that I am considering are... 2011 Cervelo RS or 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp Double 105 I am 6'3" 210-215 lbs musc ... Read More »

Need some help on frames CerveloS1, Tarmac Comp Double, C'DAle Carbon Six

Guys, I am looking into three bikes and have searched the threads on info...but I would like some non-LBS biased info. I have narrowed it down to the three Cervelo S1, Specialized Tarmac Comp Double, and Cannondale Carbon Six 6 I love the Cevelo but am worried about longer rides..but it handle g ... Read More »

2008 Tarmac Comp Double

Does anyone have an idea on what a 52 cm 2008 Tarmac Comp Double weighs?Read More »

tarmac expert double vs comp

After a month of reading and a few weekends of test rides I just ordered my first road bike...a tarmac expert double (56). I'm wondering if I should have saved $400 and just gone with the comp. The Ksyrium wheels seem to have a few complaints and nobody seems to like the FSA crank. (also the blue ... Read More »

'05 Tarmac Comp vs. '05 Allez Elite Double

After spending the summer on my MTB, I'm ready to go and also get a road bike. I spent the last half of the summer on my '05 Hardrock Sport with a 2nd set of Mavic Rims and 1.25" Specialized FatBoy Slicks... I've decided on the geometry of the Allez or Tarmac (very similar) instead of the Roubai ... Read More »